Nasty Physics Assignment

In summary, the conversation is about a physics assignment involving a demonstration of two cylindrical slugs of metal falling through a copper tube. One slug, a magnet, took longer to fall than the other and the question was why. The assignment instructed the use of principles from lectures to explain the difference. The concept of eddy currents was mentioned and the questioner was advised to research it at the library. The conversation also included a mention of using magnets to explore the effect and questions about the applications of eddy currents in electromagnets, generators, and motors. In the end, the questioner managed to solve the problem on their own.
babycat
[SOLVED] Nasty Physics Assignment

I was given this question by my physics teacher

"You were shown a demonstration whereby two cylindrical slugs of
metal were allowed to free-fall down a hollow vertical tube made of
copper.
One of the slugs, a magnet, took significantly longer to fall through
the tube than the other.
Why?
(i) Describe what you saw and try and explain why the fall times were
different. Use the principles described in the lectures to help you.
(ii) Can you think of a possible application for this effect?
You may have to go to the library to find the answer.
Minimum length should be one A4 page.
A Clue: Eddy current."

Does anyone have any idea what eddy currents has got to do with the result of this experiment?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any idea what "eddy currents" are? If not, you might use your time at the library to look the term up. By the way, that sentence in the instructions "Use the principles described in the lectures to help you." looks important to me.

I do know what eddy currents are, I have looked at my lecture notes but I am having difficulty finding the correlation between the theory and the practical. I am not expecting anyone to give me the answer, I merely need a starting point.

Originally posted by babycat
I do know what eddy currents are, I have looked at my lecture notes but I am having difficulty finding the correlation between the theory and the practical. I am not expecting anyone to give me the answer, I merely need a starting point.

Get two magnets, orient the north pole of each toward each other and
see what happens.

How does an electromagnet work? An electric generator? An electric motor?
I do know what eddy currents are
So tell us and we'll help you apply that to the current problem... We'll give you a nudge in the right direction.

Last edited:
Thanks anyway but I managed to solve the problem myself

1. What is the purpose of this "Nasty Physics Assignment"?

The purpose of this "Nasty Physics Assignment" is to challenge students' understanding and application of complex physics concepts. It may involve solving difficult problems, conducting experiments, or analyzing data.

2. How can I approach this assignment if I am struggling with physics?

If you are struggling with physics, it is important to first review the fundamental concepts and equations related to the assignment. You can also seek help from your teacher, classmates, or online resources to better understand the material. Additionally, breaking the assignment into smaller, manageable tasks can make it more approachable.

3. Can I use outside resources to complete this assignment?

It is always important to follow the guidelines set by your teacher. Some assignments may allow the use of outside resources, while others may require you to solely rely on your own understanding and knowledge. Make sure to clarify with your teacher beforehand.

4. How much time should I allocate for this "Nasty Physics Assignment"?

The amount of time needed to complete this assignment will vary depending on your understanding of the material and the complexity of the task. It is recommended to start early and allocate enough time to fully understand and complete the assignment without rushing.

5. Will this "Nasty Physics Assignment" be graded on accuracy or effort?

This will depend on the specific grading criteria set by your teacher. In most cases, both accuracy and effort will be taken into consideration when grading assignments. It is important to strive for both in order to achieve the best possible grade.