Americans are culturally inferior

• News
  • Thread starter shonagon53
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation touched on the idea that Americans may be genetically superior due to the diversity in their gene pool, but this statement was challenged due to the social and cultural factors that play a larger role in a population's strength. The conversation also discussed the negative effects of American culture and ideology, such as high stress levels and premature death, which may ultimately lead to the downfall of the country. The original poster was challenged to consider the value of culture over genes and provide evidence for their claims about American society.
shonagon53
A few posts ago, someone wrote here:

"Americans are genetically superior to all others

No other country has the same level of variety in its gene pool than America. Variety in the gene pool is important for increasing the odds of survival against genetic defect. Therefore, I assert that as a whole, Americans are genetically superior to all others."

This is a very interesting statement, which clearly comes from a genetically inferior being (;-). First of all, human beings are social beings, not merely biological. When you put them together in groups, a socius and a culture emerge which are separate and powerful entities that are more than just the sum of its parts.

As we all know, both this socius and culture play a far more important role than genes when we're thinking on the scale of entire human populations.

Well, if we take that into account, the American Empire may soon face the same fate as all previous empires, because in reality it is not a genetically diverse population, but a genetically segregationist society (here, culture and ideology already limit genetic mixing). (The Roman Empire had a far more diverse population than contemporary America--both in biological and in social terms). The per capita number of mixed marriages and kids in the US is not that much higher than in other hybrid populations (like those of Brazil, South Africa, and Europe). So I don't take the statement all too serious.

But I want to elaborate on another point. It's obvious that in the end culture decides over the strength of a population. America's rise to power was mainly due to a 19th century ideology of Progress, Utilitarianism and Racism. Later on came Imperialism. These values brought wealth and prosperity to a totally racist society, with whites and blacks absolutely segregated. When Asian immigrants were imported to do dirty work we saw the same. America's multicultural society is a very recent phenomenon. And I'm not really sure if it is an interesting kind of multiculturalism, because it is so superficial. In fact, I consider the USA to be one of the most culturally homogeneous and least diverse societies on the planet. And this leads all kinds of weaknesses.
Elements of that homogeneous culture and that unitary ideology--which you have to take an oath on to call yourself "American"--directly lead to premature death (Americans rank rather low qua overall health compared to Europeans; their Stress Society produces all kinds of strange phenomena, like massive drug abuse, incredible obesity stats, etc...). Now, premature death on a social scale is not really a great sign of genetic power. So we see that the cultural sphere directly influences the biological sphere of individuals, when we're thinking on the scale of entire populations.

But the social and cultural sphere of course also create effects within their own spheres (and in the end, these come back to the biological sphere): problems arising from the American ideology may in the long run lead to the total destruction of that genetically diverse population.
Because, when an Empire maintains its 19th century ideology (of imperialism, superiority etc...) in the 21st century, cultural anachronisms grow, which can be lethal (that's a "lesson" we have learned from history). Take gobal inequalities: the USA is by far the biggest and most arrogant consumer of all kinds of resources on this planet, per capita. Since American kids in general are just ordinary kids (socially and culturally a bit less intelligent than other people on the planet, that has been well documented), "then why are they so well off?", many people ask. Well, this global feeling of injustice in turn may lead to anti-americanism on a planetary scale which may lead to conflict, which may lead to an even bigger Stress Society, leading to even more premature death ratios etc...
The question is: can America, being a wealthy society (but with enormous internal and external inequalities) technologically keep up with the growth of anti-Americanism?
I don't think so. If America choses to keep its paranoia (cultural weakness) as its basic societal metaphor, history may prove it to be an unviable project.

Therefor, I challenge the original poster to discuss the value of culture over genes.

[Excuse me for my bad English, my native language is that of the future, so for now, my apologies ;-) ].

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not defending that other topic, but I certainly object to your topic.

the USA is by far the biggest and most arrogant consumer of all kinds of resources on this planet, per capita.

I'll agree that the US is the biggest consumer, but how does one measure arrogance? That is your personal belief.

By the way, how does the US rate on the scale of efficient use of resources? Also, how much of the US's consumed resources are redistributed to other countries? How does the US's environmental laws/technologies/restorations compare to the rest of the world (not just Europe)?

Since American kids in general are just ordinary kids (socially and culturally a bit less intelligent than other people on the planet, that has been well documented),

Please provide such documentation. As far as I know, no one has been able to find any signficant differences in intelligence between the races, different countries, etc. Sure, one can measure differences in education, but not basic intelligence. Even with education, America ranks high among the countries of the world.

"then why are they so well off?", many people ask. Well, this global feeling of injustice in turn may lead to anti-americanism

So the problem is that Americans are doing well*? Is that wrong? Would it be ok for any other country to do as well? Is it wrong that other countries benefit from what you see as America's ill-begotten advances?

* I know...it's more than that. I suppose you think it's wrong because Americans are less intelligent, less healthy, more greedy, etc. I challange you to support any of those claims with anything other than personal feelings.

... enormous internal and external inequalities...

Do you think other countries are free of this?

I don't think so. If America choses to keep its paranoia (cultural weakness) as its basic societal metaphor, history may prove it to be an unviable project.

I don't see how paranoia is America's basic societal metaphor. Please explain.

Last edited:
Your ideas are arrogant and ill-founded. You have obviously never been to America. You don't know what you are talking about. You make statements which are simply false.

"whites and blacks absolutely segregated"

America is far more culturally diverse than you realize, and we have far less racism and far less social hierarchy than any of the countries I have personally traveled to (which includes most of the Western European countries). I have seen this with my own eyes.

My statement which you have quoted has been taken out of context. As everyone else here realized, it was meant as an attention getter. The statement "genetically superior" obviously got your attention. However, if you weren't such a fvcking moron, you, unlike everyone else, would have realized that my main point was that America benefits from diversity more so than any other country. Diversity is good.

Now for your moronic challenge...

Here is the value of society with diverse culture.

Go to a university in any country other than America. Go to the physics department and ask the students there what their parents do for a living. I can guarantee that you will find that close to 100% of those students come from families with educated parents. Now ask those students how many of them had jobs when they went to high school and college. You will find that close to 0% of them ever worked a day in their life before they started doing physics research. You will also find that there seems to be an attitude of being "too smart to work" amongst most non-American college students world-wide.

Now go to America and ask the same questions. You will find that the cultural background of students in science and technology fields is far more diverse in America than anywhere else. You will also find that unlike college students in other countries, we can handle going to school and working to support ourselves. Our strong work ethic is what made us the empire that you fear.

Out of curiosity, tell us which country you are from, whether or not you are a student, how many jobs you have had in your life (list their titles), and where your money comes from. If you are a college student from Europe, India or China, I am willing to bet that you never worked a day in your pathetic life.

Then answer this question. How can any country whose educated and working classes are separated by arrogance and ignorance ever hope to function harmoniously?

eNtRopY

P.S. What is my background you ask?

My father is a laborer. I improved my own financial situation by going to college. I worked in a warehouse sorting bolts while attending high school. My freshman year of college, I worked in a grocery store. Other paid jobs I had while being an undergraduate include: electronics shop salesperson, laboratory technician, student researcher, and IC design intern. I was able to work and successfully go to school. I am now in graduate school, and I never received any financial help from anyone. This type of education is REAL. This is an American education.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is this doing in this forum? Is there any kind of actual science coming in this thread? Perhaps you have mistaken the Forum heading for, "Other Than Science"?

Originally posted by LURCH
What is this doing in this forum? Is there any kind of actual science coming in this thread? Perhaps you have mistaken the Forum heading for, "Other Than Science"?

Yes. This should be moved to the political or philosophy forum.

Originally posted by eNtRopY
Your ideas are arrogant and ill-founded. You have obviously never been to America...the rest

YUP! People sure get some funny ideas about this country.

HI there again!

Don't take this all too hard. ;-)

I'm just reading the statistics.

I thought sociology and schizoanalysis were sciences. But I may be wrong.

And of course I've visited the US. It was a fine trip. But touristic trips don't really teach you anything about a country as a whole. You have to study it another way.

That's all I'm doing.

I was basically saying that culture is in the end much more important when looking at the evolution of human life in its concrete manifestations in history, than biology. I tried to illustrate that with the example of America. That's all.

Thanks for your comments.

About racial segregation in the States: I live in Detroit and I am probably the only white person walking over to work. I don't know the stats, but it will be close to the following: 80% of the people living in poor conditions in downdown Detroit will be blacks and 80% of people living in the suburbs are whites (the remaining are of mainly of asian origin). Talk about racial segregation not existing in the States? I am sure the same is true for other big cities.

I also do believe that Americans are not very educated what goes on outside of their countries' borders. Which was painfully obvious during the Iraq war, where Americans around me did not have a formed opinion other than they were atacked during 9/11 and should do something back. And this is at a university mind you. The aliens were discussing political issues in US history, and the americans were looking at us not being able to join the discussion (which they actually admitted).

I have been in Michigan for almost 3 years and I have no clue what goes on besides the killings in Detroit.. political news is no news here. Unless the Major is accused of throwing some illegal party ofcourse :)

Anyway, I don't want to be too negative since the States has a lot to offer to ambitious people. Americans work very hard and are well known for studying for good grades, trying to get into good universities, having huge debts and thus having to work side jobs. In Europe people are very lasy (sp?) and the highest grade they want to get is the grade that makes them pass the course (usually 5.5 out of ten). Most of the big companies are founded in the States, people get a good salary, are able to afford big cars and houses. Every country has its good and bad sides, it is easy to pick on the negative side while being ignorant of the positive things so let's keep the discussion balanced.

*moves to political forum*

Jeez, thanks for dumping this one on me!

Let's abstract the discussion a bit

The importance of culture over genes when talking about societies as a whole.
I want to talk about that.

[About the stats you gave, as you can see, Europeans, from the EU that is, on average live 2 years longer than Americans. It's highly significant, considering that per capita GDP in the US is a bit higher than that in Europe. When we take it that on average every 10 years, a western society's population grows 1 year older, we must conclude that Europe is 20 years ahead of the US...lol]

Last edited:
Originally posted by Zero
Jeez, thanks for dumping this one on me!

Sorry! I was thinking about moving it to the general discussion, but since you are also mentoring that one.. better keep it political right?

Originally posted by Monique
Sorry! I was thinking about moving it to the general discussion, but since you are also mentoring that one.. better keep it political right?
Unfortunately, yeah...:(

First , Europe has its share of "racial" segregation and prejudice. Just ask any Turk living in Germany.
Second, America has always been a multi-cultural society. When the first Europeans settled in America, many married Native women, thus making a multi-cultural society. The people in America today are products of multi-culturalism, so the idea that people are "racially segregated" is false.
America and Americans have a vast culture. Its just easy to point out the obvious consumer aspect of american society. But what is below that aspect? Is it that Americans love to shop and buy and sell? No! Its that powerful people, ie corporate execs, get more power (which is equated with more money in the U.S.) through selling junk, and buying people out, and exploiting others.

If the US wasn't racially segregated, why would the court decide in favour of a point system that positively discriminates minorities? ie the University of Michigan example.

You say that the US is multi-cultural, doesn't that imply per se that the country is segregated??

In the Netherlands too we have cultural segregation, mainly by turks and people from morocco.. if you go to Amsterdam or Rotterdam you will see that certain areas are populated >80% by people from those countries. But the case is different here since there is a lack of integration on their sides and probably also a reluctance of dutch society to take them up.. I forgot: what were we discussing again?

I don't think you understand my point. And you mean affirmative action: Well, affirmative action has been decided in FAVOR of minorities, not only racial, but gender minorities, meaning women. Yes, racism and sexism abound, leading to these groups having a difficult time gaining upward social mobility. But that has nothing to do with racial segregation nor a lack of American culture.
"Race" is a fluid idea. The Irish in the 19th Century were considered black in many parts of the U.S.
The U.S. was built upon people from different cultures coming together. These people lived together, worked together. These people didn't lose their individual cultures, but they didn't stay segregated. If so, wouldn't african slaves have retained west african culture? Most times, their was not quite a blending, but a modifying of cultural beliefs and behaviors that synthesized new cultural forms. Example: Southern Black culture: Based on African and European. Cajun: based on French, Indian, African.
Your thinking is segregated if you want to lump African-Americans together, and "White"-Americans together. Economic segregation is what you are talking about, with the blacks living one place, and the whites in the suburbs. I do agree that racism abounds, but I will not give into the idea that America forces blacks to one place, and forces whites to another, to any degree worse than Europe does with it's races.

Okay, well this will be difficult so I will go through the thread over several posts. But first I'd like to say this: Shonagon, how would you like it if I made a topic saying flat out that your country is culturaly inferior? No, you wouldn't you'd be angry at me. And you would go crazy trying to prove us wrong. I hope you don't think that you can come into the Political Forum with a stron anti-american sentiment. Well here I go.

Americans are genetically superior to all others No other country has the same level of variety in its gene pool than America. Variety in the gene pool is important for increasing the odds of survival against genetic defect. Therefore, I assert that as a whole, Americans are genetically superior to all others

Yes that IS wrong, I do not know who posted that but, if that was a reason for posting this thread, it was a bad one. That is only what one person believes and I think all the other Americans here know and believe we aren't genetically superior to "all others" as you said. That means little. If you marry your cousin yeah there'll be a defect so the answer is: DONT marry your cousin. That does not call for the need of a large variety of people... unlesss your really picky :wink:

Well, if we take that into account, the American Empire may soon face the same fate as all previous empires, because in reality it is not a genetically diverse population, but a genetically segregationist society (here, culture and ideology already limit genetic mixing). (The Roman Empire had a far more diverse population than contemporary America--both in biological and in social terms). The per capita number of mixed marriages and kids in the US is not that much higher than in other hybrid populations (like those of Brazil, South Africa, and Europe). So I don't take the statement all too serious.

Really? we're an empire?! I've been waiting for this since star wars came out! :wink:

Sorry had to do that. Well here is the definition of Empire:

Noun
1. a. A political unit having an extensive territory or comprising a number of territories or nations and ruled by a single supreme authority. b. The territory included in such a unit. 2. An extensive enterprise under a unified authority: a publishing empire. 3. Imperial or imperialistic sovereignty, domination, or control: "There is a growing sense that the course of empire is shifting toward the . . . Asians" (James Traub).
Etymology
Middle English, from Old French, from Latin imperium, from imper*re, to command ; see emperor.
Adjective
Of, relating to, or characteristic of a neoclassic style, as in clothing or the decorative arts, prevalent in France during the first part of the 19th century.

The United States does not rule over or dictate other countries. We did have Cuba, the Philippines, and Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico is part of the United States, not a state but there has been debate about it for quite some time. Cuba is its own nation as are the Philippines. Yes we own some territories, but we don't dictate them, as some countries do or did do (WWII hitler, you know everything but just to refresh your memory) Japan was an empire, they took over Asian territories in WWII. Germany was an empire, it took over territories and countries in WWII. The United States does not. If you are talking business yes. You mention the Holy Roman Empire. Yes they were advanced for their time but look at the people that ruled. Julius Caesar... stabbed to death by senators. Alexander the Great was Great he took over a lot of land in Europe and Asia but then he kicked the bucket at an early age. They were the two of the greatest leaders of the empire and both died, although one was assasinated and one died in a more peaceful way, they could have led to the downfall. Could you imagine if Alexander the Great had actually lived another 20 or so years? I doubt they could have been stopped. And if you did research and knwo your history, then you would know that the Romans were extremely smart and they would have found a way to handle a large empire.

About racial segregation in the States: I live in Detroit and I am probably the only white person walking over to work. I don't know the stats, but it will be close to the following: 80% of the people living in poor conditions in downdown Detroit will be blacks and 80% of people living in the suburbs are whites (the remaining are of mainly of asian origin). Talk about racial segregation not existing in the States? I am sure the same is true for other big cities.

Racial Segregation doesn't exist in the US. Monigue I know you are not native to the US but do you know about the Civil Rights Movement? Did you study it? If you did, you would know segregation. Segregation is when you weren't allowed to go to the same schools as whites, when you weren't allowed in the front of the bus unless you were white, when you had to go to different drinking fountains if you weren't white. That is segregation. You say segregation is that 80% of people living in poor conditions are African American, well that could be because they don't have as good an education because let's face it, some of those people are in their 60's during the civil rights movement so theyd didnt get good schooling. Others are their children, who in turn didnt get good schooling because their parents couldn't afford it or they were born during the civil rights movement. It could be never ending, that is why people must work hard to get a good education for their children. If they dont, their children could live in poverty and their grandchildren... I think the government should help these people, with better schooling programs, money loans, etc. Another reason is, without the money, you can't go to college, so many African Americans that are in poverty can't go because they can't afford it. Without goign to college, you can't get a good job and therefore, your kids will have to be the same way. So don't go saying there is segregation in the US, because I'm sure it could be argued the same way in many countries that have racial differences.

I also do believe that Americans are not very educated what goes on outside of their countries' borders. Which was painfully obvious during the Iraq war, where Americans around me did not have a formed opinion other than they were atacked during 9/11 and should do something back. And this is at a university mind you. The aliens were discussing political issues in US history, and the americans were looking at us not being able to join the discussion (which they actually admitted).

Yes, it was on the news where I live that some college students protesting the war had thought it started before it was even sure we were going to war. Some thought that the war the were protesting was in Afghanistan...which was over. It is sad but you have to remember that they are in college and although they definately should know more about what's going on, they are still young and they also probably don't watch the news, with homework and those college parties going on. Plus, you have to consider what they are majoring in AND you have to consider that you and the other "aliens" as you put it, are from outside the US therefore you WOULD know more on matters outside the US.

Originally posted by Shadow
Racial Segregation doesn't exist in the US. Monigue I know you are not native to the US but do you know about the Civil Rights Movement? Did you study it? If you did, you would know segregation. Segregation is when you weren't allowed to go to the same schools as whites, when you weren't allowed in the front of the bus unless you were white, when you had to go to different drinking fountains if you weren't white. That is segregation.

Well, maybe I used the wrong word. I meant that there is a social economic difference between the white and black community in general. Not all are equal in their position although I am sure everyone wishes they were.

Plus, you have to consider what they are majoring in AND you have to consider that you and the other "aliens" as you put it, are from outside the US therefore you WOULD know more on matters outside the US.

That is why I say that we aliens (which is an official word btw for non-immigrants) knew more about the political history of the events leading up to that war and related american political issues than the americans did.

And I agree that stating that a culture is inferior or superior to others is a bold thing to say and can only lead to hate feelings towards each other. My opinion is that you can point out differences in order to raise awareness, but generalizing an observation can be risky..

That is why I say that we aliens (which is an official word btw for non-immigrants) knew more about the political history of the events leading up to that war and related american political issues than the americans did.

Yeah sorry I should have said this but, I know alien is an official word I just prefer not to use it because it seems kinda... I don't know inappropriate, after all, we are all human :wink:

Well, maybe I used the wrong word. I meant that there is a social economic difference between the white and black community in general. Not all are equal in their position although I am sure everyone wishes they were.

*holds up a glass* Cheers.

Alright, Pete's turn.

I live in Hagerstown, MD, USA. It is not an big urban area and includes many different farms, businesses, low income, high income, and even many different races.

With this said, let me evaluate what we have seen here

Well, I also have no statistics. Though, I have about 8 different friends from all different walks of life. 3 are a college B.S. graduates, and the 5 others are only H.S. grads. I have had many discussions with every single one of these people about the war in Iraq, and they both felt that it was a good idea because of issues with Saddam and the way the humanitarian issues were being handled in Iraq. Also, we discussed many different ways our "war-like" history (as some would characterize it) can be attributed to this recent involvement. Thus, with my "small" statistical group shows that you are more than likely wrong. I do agree with this, people in the U.S. are not generally uneducated.

About the stats you gave, as you can see, Europeans, from the EU that is, on average live 2 years longer than Americans

I find this to be wrong. Average European Male age (as calculated by my TI-85): 73.8. Average U.S. Male age: 72.9.

We see here only a .9 year difference in male age.

Females in Europe: 80.3 Females in U.S.A.: 83.3

Interesting results, we have a 3 year difference in favor of U.S. females. Quite a reverse of your comment. While males are only .9 years different, I would like to see the standard deviation because I'm sure these two numbers could be statisically proven to be the same.

When we take it that on average every 10 years, a western society's population grows 1 year older, we must conclude that Europe is 20 years ahead of the US

Where did we get this from? This makes no sense to me. I usually don't ask for support for much. Though, I do find this doubtful, especially with my calculations.

If the US wasn't racially segregated, why would the court decide in favour of a point system that positively discriminates minorities? ie the University of Michigan example.

The Supreme court did not say it was okay to use "points" they did say it is okay to consider it when admitting.

You say that the US is multi-cultural, doesn't that imply per se that the country is segregated??

Just because someone says we are multi-cultural doesn't mean we are segregated. Why would it mean this? Being Multi-Cultural doesn't mean we are colorblind. Having different cultures should be celebrated. Not having them (i.e. saying we are not multi-cultural) we have become colorblind and not mindful to where we all came from.

In Hagerstown, we have a bunch of people. There is a one main Section 8 housing facility on the west end of town. This place is filled with many blacks, but also a good number of whites. I do not want to speculate the percentages because I do not like speculation without any facts.

I open up my paper everyday and have not seen any suits, hate crimes, or any racially driven malichiousness(lol, is this a word?). We all live peacful here.

I am an educated person. I am currently a student at Hood College in Frederick Maryland. I am a Senior with a major in Physics and Chemistry. I will be going to graduate school next year. I come from a middle income family who makes ends meet with a little bit extra. I put myself through college with my loans. I work two jobs right now, a Home Medical Equipment Technician, and a Laboratory Research Chemist at Hood.

Thank you,

Pete

Originally posted by shonagon53
I was basically saying that culture is in the end much more important when looking at the evolution of human life in its concrete manifestations in history, than biology. I tried to illustrate that with the example of America. That's all.

I agree that culture/technology/etc. is certainly more of a significant factor for changes seen in recorded history. For more geologic (evolutionary) timescales, human culture is still pretty new (but causing a big impact to all the species of the world in a short timeframe).

Originally posted by Phobos
I agree that culture/technology/etc. is certainly more of a significant factor for changes seen in recorded history. For more geologic (evolutionary) timescales, human culture is still pretty new (but causing a big impact to all the species of the world in a short timeframe).

Well said.

Thus, with my "small" statistical group shows that you are more than likely wrong.

How can you have a significant difference between two small samples? I say one thing with my small sample and you say another thing with your small sample, neither one of us is more right or wrong than the other :)

And if one is multi-cultural, it implies one is made up by many cultures, one can only have many cultures if there are boundaries making them different, that is what I meant with segregation. Apparently the word is very sensitive, which is understandable.

:smile:

How can you have a significant difference between two small samples? I say one thing with my small sample and you say another thing with your small sample, neither one of us is more right or wrong than the other :)

My point. :smile:

And if one is multi-cultural, it implies one is made up by many cultures, one can only have many cultures if there are boundaries making them different, that is what I meant with segregation.

One=U.S.

The U.S. is quite multi-cultural.

I would not say boundries. A better way to say this is that there are just many different people.

Just because you are different doesn't mean people are segregated from each other. We can be totally different, but still work, play, and communicate all within the same place and with each other. In fact, I have friends like this. :-)

Look at this NY Times article if you want to talk about people who don't want to become multi-cultural.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/24/international/asia/24JAPA.html

Thanks.

Pete

p.s.-i like this civilized discussion. Hard to find these days.

I don't think that the article demonstrates a nation that doesn't want to become multi-cultural per se, since that immigrant family completely adopted the Japanese culture and was rejected by society. It is more a far-fatched nationalism.

I think it is very important to conserve the cultures and traditions of countries, and I strongly believe that an immigrant should completely integrate. That doesn't mean that immigration is bad.

In the US we have a different issue, since the native culture doesn't exist anymore due to the HUGE influx of other cultures. So yes, there is no culture in the States, it is multicultural. This corner of the street will be Polish, over there we have a Russian store, in Texas there is a Dutch store, there are Arabic communities, African communities, Bulgarian etc. The most beautifull thing I experienced in the US is the multitude of cultures all around me at the University..

I've directly worked with people from: Finland, Japan, China, Taiwan, South Africa, India, Bangladesh, Australia, Germany, Canada, Croatia, Bulgaria, Zimbabwe, Brasil, Iran, Romenia, south Korea. And I've met people from France, Belgium, Pakistan, Poland, Russia, England, Spain, Italy, Mauritius, Lithuania, Sweden. Talk about multi-cultural! But these are all non-immigrant aliens though..

I think it is very important to conserve the cultures and traditions of countries, and I strongly believe that an immigrant should completely integrate. That doesn't mean that immigration is bad.

This is where our ideals differ greatly.

So yes, there is no culture in the States, it is multicultural.

We are multi-cultural, yet we have no culture? This is an oxymoron.

I think that maybe the bigger picture needs to be looked at. Our huge diversity brings upon our own culture together. Formed of all little cultures we have our own. Kind of like bringing different reagents into a reaction to form one compound.

Though you might look at that and say, well then you're not multi-cultural, our individual compenents make us multi. No matter what. And they also bring us to be a culture amongst ourselves. A paradox if you will, but the truth.

Pete

Originally posted by PeteGt
This is where our ideals differ greatly.

I think that cultures and traditions are very important to hold on to. If I were to choose to move to Italy, I'd respect their culture and adjust myself to it, otherwise I wouldn't move. Those feelings also originate from the situation where there are a lot of Muslims in the Netherlands who have a very hard time integrating and are thus outsiders. You'd have to learn the countries' customs and especially language in order to survive. I like to see a multicultural world where you can feel Italian when you are in Italy, feel French when you are in France. As long as everybody is respected.

We are multi-cultural, yet we have no culture? This is an oxymoron.

I think that maybe the bigger picture needs to be looked at. Our huge diversity brings upon our own culture together. Formed of all little cultures we have our own. Kind of like bringing different reagents into a reaction to form one compound.

Though you might look at that and say, well then you're not multi-cultural, our individual compenents make us multi. No matter what. And they also bring us to be a culture amongst ourselves. A paradox if you will, but the truth.

Pete

You are right. And in this world it gets harder everyday to define a countries' culture due to a world market. The US definitely has a culture because of it's multicultureness :) but it lacks the history of tradition and customs that I feel comfortable with. Here the suburbs were created in the 70s and 80s, which makes me feel that there is no culture since everything is so new and not settled down. I love to stroll down streets and see the architecture and feel the life which the city has lived..

Come to hagerstown. We have much history and can feel how we all live. Plus there are good National history venues around. E.g. Antietam battlefield.

pete

yea, we americans are the spoiled brats - to a degree, but as Monique truthfully stated, americans do work hard - and our borders are open to others who desire the opportunity to exercise free speech and a chance to work for themselves...i have had two different relatives immigrate from europe to america, and have led successful and happy lives...

as far as our inferior culture, we are only a little over 200 years old

Originally posted by Kerrie
our borders are open to others who desire the opportunity to exercise free speech and a chance to work for themselves...

It is within these freedoms that the chief cause of American "segregation" may lie. Although it is true that enforced segregation has been outlawed in the United States, the freedom of the individual to self-determination remains very important. Therefore, if a white supremacist, or a Black Panther, or Muslim extremist is unwilling to interact with members of other races or beliefs, they will not be forced to do so. If a person from a different culture finds the adaptation to America's "melting pot" culture to difficult or undesirable, they also will not be forced.

Groups of such people may form their own communities, so that they may have others "of their own sort" with whom to interact. The formation of such communities could be said to constitute a sort of self-imposed segregation. Though the practice is seen as quite distasteful by most Americans, the only way to eradicate it completely would be the removal of individuals' personal freedoms.

I find it quite ironic that our culture of tolerance has put us in this position. Now, if we wish to live up to our own ideals, we must be tolerant of intolerance!

The problem with American culture is that it is seemingly dumbed down rehash of 'real' culture.

If we stick exclusively to the
issue of culture and exercise
control in avoiding the temptation
of closely related subjects (which
not even the originator of this
thread was able to do), I would
have to report that I have found
many other cultures to be more
appealing than my own.

To refer to any culture as super-
ior or inferior to another is a
blanket statement so large, thick
and heavy that anyone who crawls
under it to sleep will end up
in discomfort.

Originally posted by Monique
Well, maybe I used the wrong word.
Clarification for you and Shadow. There are two kinds of segregation:

De Jure (by law or enforced) segregation is what Shadow is describing. Laws that mandated segregation of the races. This is usually what is meant when it is just referred to as "segregation."

De Facto (in fact) segregation is what exists in some places now. This is segregation that happens on its own such as between inner cities and suburbs (Detroit was cited). No one is FORCING the races apart in this case. There are a variety of reasons for it. Someone mentioned socioeconomic status. Another reason is simple personal cultural preference. In any case, this is often cited (largely by those with a political adjenda) as being related to De Jure segregation, but it isn't. In fact, depending on the context, there is often nothing at all even wrong with it.

As for the topic of this thread... [zz)]

Why is this thread still going on?

I know what you mean. I just had
an ominous sounding metaphor and
needed someplace to dump it.

-Zoob

To refer to any culture as super-
ior or inferior to another is a
blanket statement so large, thick
and heavy that anyone who crawls
under it to sleep will end up
in discomfort

---- zoobyshoe

(On "are Americans are culturally inferior?" )
21st century
physics forums

Great quote Keep it up :wink: :smile:

As far as the validity of the above statement is concerned I agree with most of it.I feel that even the definition of culture is culture-dependent e.g. in western countries the work-ethic and the efficiency is simply uncomparable to most of Asian/African countries ( as EnTrOpY put it) so they see it as the most important constituent of any culture (may be rightly so,but it is always debatable).
On the other hand Asian countries boast of their conservativeness(this includes things related to restrain on things like promiscuity ,infidelty etc considered 'bad' there),more amiable and humble nature of their people.They see these as the major constituents of any culture, again debatable.