Electricity and resistance Question

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the voltage that a bird would feel while standing on an electric transmission line carrying 2500 A. The line has a resistance of 0.000025 ohms per meter and the bird's feet are 4 cm apart. The conversation also mentions using Ohm's Law to calculate the voltage and questions about the length and area.
PerpetuallyFrustrate
A bird stands on a electric transmission line carring 2500 A. The line has .000025 ohms resistance per meter and the bird's feet are 4 cm apart. What voltage does the bird feel?

I know R = p L/A, but how do i figure out the area. Also do I use 4 cm as the length?

Physics news on Phys.org
HInt

Could you figure the voltage if the bird had its feet 1 meter apart?

No

I don't understand whether the 4 cm is the L and if so then what is the area?

If you know the resistance per meter (0.000025) and the number of meters (0.04) their product should give you the total resistance in the 4 cm length. Knowing the current, it should be a staightforward use of Ohm's Law to get the voltage across that section of the wire. I'm not sure why you would need to use the area at all.

1. What is electricity?

Electricity is a form of energy that results from the flow of electrical charge. It is commonly used for powering devices and completing tasks such as lighting, heating, and transportation.

2. What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how difficult it is for electricity to flow through a material. It is represented by the letter "R" and is measured in ohms (Ω).

3. How does resistance affect electricity?

The higher the resistance, the more difficult it is for electricity to flow. This results in a decrease in the flow of current and a decrease in the amount of energy that can be transferred. Low resistance allows for more efficient flow of electricity.

4. What factors affect resistance?

Resistance is affected by the type of material, its length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. Materials with higher resistance, such as rubber or plastic, have more difficulty conducting electricity compared to materials with lower resistance, such as copper or gold.

5. What is Ohm's law?

Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them. This can be represented by the equation V=IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.