Can Someone Explain Zeno's Paradox for Me?

• Thread starter wonderland
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses Zeno's paradox and the confusion between Zeno of Elia and Zeno of Citium. The participants also mention Zeno's background and his role in Greek science, with one person questioning his significance compared to other Greek philosophers. The conversation ends with a reference to Marcus Aurelius and a request for further clarification.
wonderland
Yo, can someone help me out and explain a solution to Zeno's paradox pretty pretty please...

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's begin by having you explain why you think there's a problem

Welllllll speaking subjectively here, the ambience of the Land Of Paradox is rather a problematic one... hmm, but yer, the whole kinda inability of time to progress or things to move through space due to their continuous disposition.

Zeno never spoke Latin

Zeno was born on the island of Cyprus and lived most of
his life (c 320-250 BC) in Athens and fragments of his writings
are still around----they are in Greek.

Very likely he never once heard Latin spoken.

Most of what he had to say was about Ethics, that is Morality. He wasnt much of a mathematician or much interested in physics or any kind of natural science.

His socalled paradox? What does it amount to besides semantic foolery? There were Greeks who discovered interesting things about numbers and geometry and even physics (like Ptolemy apparently knew the law of refraction of light in water, and Pythadoras knew how the musical pitch depends on the length of vibrating strings, Aristarchus knew the Earth orbits the sun instead of the other way around). So why does Zeno, a second rate Moral Philosopher, keep coming up? Is this all that today's high school teachers know about Greek science---all that they are able to tell their students about---and all anyone ends up knowing? Its like a new version of the Middle Ages. We need a rebirth of learning.

Ahem! It's most lovely to know that you think that Zeno didn't speak Latin, but my subject title was a reference to Marcus Aurelius... I hope that provides some clarity for you, a quality your reply lacked . Semantic foolery, well thank thee most kindly for providing the elusive solution. Hey i don't know what goes on in these high school, but I love the fact that my Kindergarten teacher tells me about her hero Zeno!

You are confusing

Zeno of Elia (about 490 BC - 425 BC), a pupil of Parmenides and inventor of the famous space/time paradoxes

and

Zeno of Citium (about 333 BC - 261 BC), the proto-stoic philosopher

Please feel free to continue this conversation in this thread.

1. What is Stoicism?

Stoicism is a philosophical school that originated in ancient Greece and was later adopted by the Romans. It emphasizes the development of self-control, resilience, and mindfulness in order to achieve inner peace and live a virtuous life.

2. Who were the Latin speaking Stoics?

The Latin speaking Stoics were a group of philosophers who studied and practiced Stoicism in the Roman Empire, including prominent figures such as philosophers Seneca, Marcus Aurelius, and Epictetus.

3. What is the role of Latin in Stoicism?

Latin was the primary language used by Stoic philosophers in the Roman Empire, as it was the dominant language of the time. The Stoics believed that language played a crucial role in shaping our thoughts and perceptions, so they used Latin as a means to communicate their ideas and principles.

4. How did Stoicism influence modern society?

Stoicism has had a significant impact on modern society, particularly in the fields of ethics, psychology, and self-improvement. Its principles and practices have been adopted by individuals, organizations, and even mental health professionals to promote well-being and resilience.

5. How can one incorporate Stoicism into their daily life?

There are many ways to incorporate Stoicism into daily life, such as practicing mindfulness, focusing on what is within our control, and developing self-discipline. Reading Stoic texts and reflecting on their teachings can also help individuals apply Stoic principles in their daily lives.