Which Calculator Should I Get for College?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best calculator to use for college, specifically for an engineering and possibly a physics major. The person currently owns an HP48gx and is wondering if they should invest in a different calculator, such as a TI, for their studies. The expert summarizer suggests sticking with the HP calculator and investing time in learning to use it effectively, as it is a great tool for engineering. They also provide a helpful resource for downloadable programs and other materials related to HP calculators.
kyle_soule
I'm starting college in a couple months now, and I would like to know which calculator I should get. I heard TI-92+ is nice, but unrealistic as many teachers won't let you use them on tests. 89's are a good alternative, but I have heard that HP's are better.

Right now I own a HP48gx. I'm majoring in engineering, and perhaps a double major in physics, but I'm not positive yet.

All I want to know is if I should get another calculator, such as a TI, or not.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'd stick to the one you have and invest my time learning to use it instead of spending more money on another. That is a great calculator for engineering!

Originally posted by BoulderHead
I'd stick to the one you have and invest my time learning to use it instead of spending more money on another. That is a great calculator for engineering!

Excellent.

Time I have spent, I used to read the manual in study hall, lots of fun!

Soon I hope to use it for actual, worthwhile problems.

Also, does anybody know where I could get extra memory for this calculator? All the sites that had it before are gone:frown:

This is a great source for downloadable programs and...

many other things relating to HP calculators. You might enjoy browsing here;

http://www.hpcalc.org/

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the best type of calculator to get for college?

The type of calculator you should get for college depends on your specific needs and the courses you are taking. If you are taking math or science courses that involve complex calculations, a graphing calculator may be the best option. If you are taking more basic courses, a scientific calculator may suffice.

Are there any specific brands or models of calculators that are recommended for college?

Some popular brands for college calculators include Texas Instruments, Casio, and HP. Within these brands, there are various models that are widely used by college students, such as the TI-84 Plus, Casio FX-115ES Plus, and HP Prime. It is best to check with your professors or syllabus to see if there are any specific calculator requirements for your courses.

Can I use a calculator app on my phone instead of purchasing a physical calculator?

While some courses may allow the use of calculator apps, it is generally recommended to have a physical calculator for exams and quizzes. This is because certain features or functions may not be available on calculator apps, and some professors may not allow the use of phones during exams.

Do I need to learn how to use my calculator before using it in college courses?

Yes, it is important to become familiar with your calculator's functions and how to use them before using it in college courses. Many calculators come with instruction manuals or online tutorials to help you learn how to use them effectively.

Can I use the same calculator for all of my college courses?

In most cases, yes, you can use the same calculator for all of your college courses. However, some courses may have specific requirements for calculators, so it is best to check with your professors or syllabus to see if you need a different calculator for certain courses.