Unsolvable tension force problem

In summary, this problem was posed on an exam as unsolvable by the professor. It involves a rope system with a tension force in the EAD section and a ring acting as a pulley. The question is whether the x, y, and z components of the tension force need to individually equal zero for the system to be in equilibrium. After discussion, it is determined that the components do not need to be zero, but in this specific situation, there is not enough opposing force in the +z direction for the system to have a net force of 0. Therefore, this problem is unsolvable as presented.
KABOOM_physics
This was a problem on an exam that our professor later discovered was unsolvable THE WAY HE POSED THE QUESTION. First off, it's important to note that this is from a statics class, therefore Fnet = 0 will be true for all problems in our course.

So here's my thoughts on this and I would like to see if anyone else agrees with me or if I'm just completely way off.

If rope EAD has a tension force of 980N, the so should the AD segment of that rope. The z component of AD should have a F = 980cos(1/sqrt(8)) in the positive z direction. Since there are no other forces with components in either z direction, it would imply that the arrangement has not settled and will move. which would imply that Fnet does not = 0. Also I understand that the center ring can act as a pulley (which in this problem has no mass or friction), however it is not a fixed pulley. So wouldn't the Fnet for each component (x,y,z) have to equal 0 individually?

Any help or insight to create a proper response is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Scan.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused when you say "act as a pulley" but if we can ignore this and just go back to your original statement about the z component. If Fnet=0 then the z component has to equal the force in AE doesn't it?

Likes KABOOM_physics
If you consider pulley systems in physics that we examine to be massless and frictionless then it wouldn't matter if the pulley rotated or not. The function of the pulley is to redirect the rope and thus redirecting the tension force. This basically does the same thing, doesn't it? The only difference is that instead of the "pulley" being fixed on a wedge or table, the "pulley" is free floating. I guess the main thing that has me confused is do the components each individually need to equal zero? Or is it possible for them to have some magnitude but the net force still equals zero?

Well I'm not sure about your definition of the function of a pulley but in this case, yes, you are correct the ring is redirecting the tension force.

The components do not need to be anything other than that which is required to maintain equilibrium. But maybe first answer my question above.

Likes KABOOM_physics
Thats part of the problem though. Yes, the -z component would be EA, but remember that EA is part of the whole rope EAD. If this system were at equilibrium and Fnet = 0, then there should be another +z component of equal magnitude, or a combination of +z components. The section AD would have some +z force component to it, but it couldn't possibly be enough if EAD were all the same force. But if the components of Fnet do not need to equal 0 individually then that doesn't matter, right?

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by your last sentence.

You claim that EAD must be the same force. If we assume the ring is frictionless and dimensionless then I think you are correct.

Likes KABOOM_physics
KABOOM_physics said:
I guess the main thing that has me confused is do the components each individually need to equal zero? Or is it possible for them to have some magnitude but the net force still equals zero?

The only way a vector can be the zero vector is for each of its components to be zero.

Likes KABOOM_physics
Ok, so then this problem is unsolvable the way it is asked because it is not possible for there to be enough of an opposing force in the +z direction for the system to have an Fnet of 0? Does that sound right?

KABOOM_physics said:
Ok, so then this problem is unsolvable the way it is asked because it is not possible for there to be enough of an opposing force in the +z direction for the system to have an Fnet of 0? Does that sound right?
That sounds right to me.

Likes KABOOM_physics
Awesome, thank you!

Related to Unsolvable tension force problem

1. What is the "Unsolvable tension force problem"?

The "Unsolvable tension force problem" is a theoretical problem in physics that deals with the inability to accurately measure the tension force in a system. This problem arises when there are multiple forces acting on an object in different directions, making it impossible to determine the exact magnitude and direction of the tension force.

2. Why is this problem considered unsolvable?

This problem is considered unsolvable because there is currently no mathematical equation or method that can accurately calculate the tension force in a system with multiple forces acting on it. Additionally, the tension force is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, making it even more difficult to solve.

3. What are the implications of the unsolvable tension force problem?

The unsolvable tension force problem can have significant implications in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and mechanics. It can lead to errors in calculations and designs, potentially causing structural failures or inaccuracies in experimental results. It also highlights the limitations of our current understanding of tension forces in complex systems.

4. Are there any attempts to solve this problem?

Scientists and mathematicians have been trying to find a solution to the unsolvable tension force problem for decades. Some have proposed new mathematical models and equations, while others have developed experimental methods to estimate the tension force in specific scenarios. However, a universally accepted solution has not been found yet.

5. How does the unsolvable tension force problem affect real-world applications?

The unsolvable tension force problem can affect various real-world applications, such as bridge and building design, cable systems, and even simple pulley systems. Inaccurate calculations of the tension force can lead to structural failures, safety hazards, and increased costs. Therefore, it is essential for scientists and engineers to continue researching and developing solutions to this problem to improve the accuracy and safety of these applications.