Unruh Effect and Temperature Differentials

In summary, the Unruh effect is an apparent difference in temperature between the ends of a spinning object and its center. If you could tap into this energy differential, it might be possible to do work. It's unclear if this difference in energy is equal to the amount of energy gained as heat, but it seems to be necessary for conserving energy.
trendal
Hello!

I've only just come across the Unruh Effect...so please bear with me!

Say you have a long pole, and you spin the pole around its center. The ends of the pole would then be accelerating but the center of the pole wouldn't be. The Unruh Effect would seem to be saying the ends of the pole would experience a higher temperature than the center.

What would happen if you could tap into this energy differential? Would it be available to do work?

Imagine a long thermocouple...would it produce electric power?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you could get energy out of the system...would the spinning pole slow down? Would it take more energy to spin the pole than you would ever get out of it?

Bump...anyone? Is this the right forum?

trendal said:
Hello!

I've only just come across the Unruh Effect...so please bear with me!

Say you have a long pole, and you spin the pole around its center. The ends of the pole would then be accelerating but the center of the pole wouldn't be. The Unruh Effect would seem to be saying the ends of the pole would experience a higher temperature than the center.

What would happen if you could tap into this energy differential? Would it be available to do work?

Imagine a long thermocouple...would it produce electric power?

I was trying to solve a similar problem recently and my conclusion was that there is more incident radiation in the direction opposed to the acceleration, which acts as a retarding force on the object. In effect, to maintain the same level of acceleration as if the Unruh effect wasn't present, requires a greater amount of energy. I also concluded that this difference in energy must be equal to the amount on energy gained as heat. Further, I concluded that a deceleration, independent of velocity, must involve an equal and opposite effect.

I don't have a reference for it, and it might be plain wrong, but I can see no other way to conserve energy. There may be quirks to relativistic energy conservation that I'm not aware of that means that this isn't entirely true.

Last edited:
craigi said:
I was trying to solve a similar problem recently and my conclusion was that there is more incident radiation in the direction opposed to the acceleration, which acts as a retarding force on the object.
Does not really apply to the OP's situation, does it, since for circular motion the acceleration is radially inward, and a retarding force would need to be tangential.

Unruh radiation is usually discussed as an effect accompanying linear acceleration. It is a matter of some dispute whether or not it occurs also for circular motion. At least some authors have concluded that it does not.

For example, see this review, which argues (Sect III.7) that the vacuum seen by an observer in circular motion is just the Minkowski vacuum, hence the Unruh radiation is absent.

Bill_K said:
Does not really apply to the OP's situation, does it, since for circular motion the acceleration is radially inward, and a retarding force would need to be tangential.

I think it must apply. More centripetal force must be applied to maintain a circular path if there is another force acting in the opposite direction.

Bill_K said:
For example, see this review, which argues (Sect III.7) that the vacuum seen by an observer in circular motion is just the Minkowski vacuum, hence the Unruh radiation is absent.

Many thanks for this link. Hopefully, it'll clarify things.

Last edited:

Related to Unruh Effect and Temperature Differentials

1. What is the Unruh effect?

The Unruh effect is a theoretical phenomenon in quantum field theory that suggests a uniformly accelerating observer will experience a temperature difference in the vacuum compared to a non-accelerating observer. This effect is also known as the Davies-Fulling-Unruh effect.

2. How does the Unruh effect relate to temperature differentials?

The Unruh effect predicts that an observer undergoing uniform acceleration will experience a temperature difference in the vacuum compared to an observer at rest. This temperature difference is known as a temperature differential.

3. What causes the Unruh effect?

The Unruh effect is caused by the interaction between the observer and the vacuum state of a quantum field. As the observer accelerates, their interaction with the vacuum changes, leading to a perceived change in temperature.

4. Can the Unruh effect be observed in real life?

The Unruh effect is a theoretical concept and has not yet been observed in real life. This is because the temperature difference predicted by the Unruh effect is extremely small and would require extremely precise measurements to detect.

5. What is the significance of the Unruh effect?

The Unruh effect has important implications for our understanding of quantum field theory and the relationship between acceleration and temperature. It also has potential applications in fields such as cosmology and quantum computing.