Unravelling the Mysteries of Radioactive Decay

In summary: Alpha decay proceeds as explained above, beta decay is a weak force interaction and gamma decay is pure EM.
EIRE2003
I was wondering, and it baffles me, how is the strong force involved in radioactive decay? I know ecxatly how the weak force is involved but that's about it.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
EIRE2003 said:
I was wondering, and it baffles me, how is the strong force involved in radioactive decay? I know ecxatly how the weak force is involved but that's about it.
Thanks

The strong force has nothing to do with radioactivity, at least not directly. The strong force binds quarks together through the exchange of gluons. This gluon-exchange is caracterized by the fact that all colours (ie the quantumnumbers associated with the strong force) involved must add up to yield the neutral colour, white. The strong force, of which the strength is described by asymptotic freedom, binds :

1) three quarks to form baryons : eg protons, neutrons
2) quark-anti quarks to form mesons : eg pions.

The atomic nucleus is held together by the residual strong force, mediated by pions (these are the lightest mesons), which denotes the attractive interaction between the constituent quarks of several different baryons.

Radioactivity is described by the weak force, through the change of the quark flavourquantumnumber.

Check out this site

regards
marlon

(The following is a somewhat simplified description).

Alpha (He4 nucleus) decay results from a combination of em and strong force. Strong force holds nucleus together, while em tries to break it up. Alpha decay results when em wins.

'Radiation' is a bit of a dated concept in physics. Alpha decay proceeds as explained above, beta decay is a weak force interaction and gamma decay is pure EM.

mathman said:
(The following is a somewhat simplified description).
Alpha (He4 nucleus) decay results from a combination of em and strong force. Strong force holds nucleus together, while em tries to break it up. Alpha decay results when em wins.
An interesting question is whether or not the alpha [He4] is "preformed" within the atomic nucleus before this decay process, and how this may effect both em and strong force ?

Rade said:
An interesting question is whether or not the alpha [He4] is "preformed" within the atomic nucleus before this decay process, and how this may effect both em and strong force ?
the distance between quarks is classically 0.6fm(meson), so em is almost only 1MeV there, which can be ignored when strong act. but the possibility makes the decay act.

Last edited:
EIRE2003 said:

Well the strong force is involved in radioactivity, at least peripherally. In order to decay, an atom has to have energy available to decay with. To determine whether an atom has this or not, one had better take into account the strong force as it is the strong force that holds the nucleus together.

As long as we're on the subject, it turns out that the E&M force is also involved in radioactivity, in particular, the 1S wave states of the orbital electron contributes to inverse beta decay. If you fully ionize an atom that is subject to inverse beta decay, the absence of the 1S electron will decrease the decay rate and lengthen the lifetime.

Carl

Related to Unravelling the Mysteries of Radioactive Decay

1. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus emits radiation in the form of particles or energy in order to become more stable. This process occurs naturally in certain elements and is also artificially induced in nuclear reactions.

2. How is the rate of radioactive decay measured?

The rate of radioactive decay is measured using the half-life, which is the amount of time it takes for half of the original sample to decay. This value is constant for each radioactive element and can be used to determine the age of a sample or the amount of remaining radioactive material.

3. What are the different types of radioactive decay?

The three main types of radioactive decay are alpha decay, beta decay, and gamma decay. Alpha decay occurs when an alpha particle (two protons and two neutrons) is emitted from the nucleus, beta decay occurs when a beta particle (either an electron or a positron) is emitted, and gamma decay occurs when a high-energy photon is released.

4. How does radioactive decay affect the environment?

Radiation from radioactive decay can have both positive and negative effects on the environment. On one hand, it is used in medical treatments and can be harnessed as a source of energy. On the other hand, it can also be harmful to living organisms and the environment if not properly controlled and contained.

5. Can radioactive decay be predicted or controlled?

The rate of radioactive decay is a random process and cannot be predicted or controlled. However, the amount of radioactive material present and the type of decay that will occur can be determined using scientific principles and techniques. Proper handling and disposal of radioactive materials can also help to control their effects on the environment.