Unraveling the Mystery of the Gluon's Wave Function

In summary, there was a question about the gluon's wave function and the conversation discussed the vector potential and the helicity as possible wave functions. The speaker also mentioned that neither of these are considered to be the actual wave function and questioned why some people refer to them as such.
earth2
Hi there,

I have question about a gluon's wave function.

First of all, I thought it is just the vector potential [tex]A_\mu[/tex] but I read several papers and they keep referring to the helicity [tex]\epsilon_\mu[/tex] as the wave function. At least this is what I understand from the context. See for instance (Peter Svrceks thesis, chapter 2) I don't understand that - is that just a misuse of terms? Where does it come from?

Cheers,
earth2

Physics news on Phys.org
I would not call EITHER the "wavefunction" - if you knew the wavefunction of the gluon, you can win $1,000,000 from the Clay Math Institute!

[itex]A^a_\mu[/itex] is the FIELD that annihilates a "gluon state" (another funny thing), and it is given in terms of the polarization tensor [itex]\epsilon_\mu[/itex]. So these two things are effectively equivalent.

But I wouldn't call either the "wavefunction".

Thanks a lot!
So, if it is not a real wf, why do people sometimes call it that way?

Cheers,
earth2

who are "people"?

Well, by people i mean those guys working in the amplitude business and writing papers about it :)

names, please! i can't respond without details!

i don't call it a wavefunction, but I consider myself one of "those guys"!

Related to Unraveling the Mystery of the Gluon's Wave Function

1. What is a gluon wave function?

A gluon wave function is a mathematical representation of the distribution of gluons within a proton or neutron. It describes the probability of finding a gluon in a particular position within the particle.

2. How is the gluon wave function related to the strong nuclear force?

The gluon wave function is closely related to the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for binding quarks together to form protons and neutrons. Gluons are the carriers of the strong force, and their interactions are described by the gluon wave function.

3. Can the gluon wave function be directly measured?

No, the gluon wave function cannot be directly measured. It is a theoretical construct used to explain the behavior and properties of particles in the subatomic world. However, its effects can be indirectly observed through experiments and calculations.

4. How does the gluon wave function affect particle interactions?

The gluon wave function plays a crucial role in the interactions between particles. It governs the strength and range of the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for holding the atomic nucleus together and binding quarks within protons and neutrons.

5. What are some current research areas involving the gluon wave function?

Scientists are currently studying the gluon wave function in various aspects, such as its role in understanding the structure of protons and neutrons, its contribution to the proton spin puzzle, and its behavior at high energies in particle collisions. Additionally, there is ongoing research on the development of more accurate and comprehensive models of the gluon wave function.