Unraveling the Mystery of HCl: Why Hydrochloric and Not Just Chloric?

In summary, the reason why HCl is called hydrochloric acid instead of just chloric acid is because it does not have an oxyanion and only contains one element. This follows the convention of naming inorganic acids that do not have oxyanions with a "hydro" prefix. This convention has evolved over time in chemical terminology.
bomba923
Why is HCl called hydrochloric acid, not just "chloric" acid?

I mean, we don't say hydronitric acid, nor do we say hydrosulfuric acid.

But then why is HCl called hydrochloric acid, not just chloric acid? (i mean, we do add the hydrogen for acid)

My guess is that this is so because the anion (Cl-) of HCl is just a single element, not something like NO3, or SO4...well, u see...

But is this why we say hydrochloric, not just chloric? Well, if not, then why?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Okay,assume HCl=chloric acid,but how will u name HClO_{3}...?

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Okay,assume HCl=chloric acid,but how will u name HClO_{3}...?

Daniel.

Ahh...i see; "chloratic" acid would sound strange indeed! :blushing: (i.e., hydrogen chlorate);

So then, perhaps the reason why we say "hydrochloric" acid is because HCl doesn't have an oxyanion (also, it's just one element)?

No,we never name acids from their salts,but viceversa.And salts (as in X chlorate [itex] X^{n}(ClO_{3})_{n} [/itex] assume IONIC bond between the chlorate ION and the X ION...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
No,we never name acids from their salts,but viceversa.And salts (as in X chlorate [itex] X^{n}(ClO_{3})_{n} [/itex] assume IONIC bond between the chlorate ION and the X ION...

Daniel.

(well, now THAT makes sense!)
Well .., :shy: I see now...mmhmm
NOw i see :smile:

Last edited:
The convention is that (inorganic) acids which are NOT oxy-acids H2SO4, HNO3, H3PO4 are common oxy-acids) have a "hydro" prefix; ie, HCl, HF, H2S, etc. A lot in chemical terminology just evolved that way! For instance, the word "oxygen" means "acid generator," and comes from an age when it was believed all acids contained that element.

Related to Unraveling the Mystery of HCl: Why Hydrochloric and Not Just Chloric?

1. What is HCl?

HCl is the chemical formula for hydrochloric acid, a strong and highly corrosive acid commonly used in industrial and laboratory settings. It is a colorless and pungent solution of hydrogen chloride gas dissolved in water.

2. Why is it called hydrochloric acid and not just chloric acid?

The name hydrochloric acid comes from the fact that it is composed of hydrogen and chlorine atoms. The prefix "hydro-" indicates the presence of hydrogen, while "chloric" refers to chlorine. This distinguishes it from other types of acids, such as chloric acid, which does not contain hydrogen.

3. What is the difference between HCl and HClO3?

HCl and HClO3 are two different compounds with different chemical properties. HCl is hydrochloric acid, while HClO3 is chloric acid. The main difference between the two is that HCl is a strong acid, while HClO3 is a weak acid. This means that HCl is completely ionized in water, while HClO3 only partially ionizes.

4. How is HCl formed?

HCl is formed through the reaction of hydrogen gas (H2) and chlorine gas (Cl2). This reaction takes place under certain conditions, such as high temperatures or in the presence of a catalyst. It can also be produced by dissolving hydrogen chloride gas in water.

5. What are the uses of HCl?

HCl has many industrial and laboratory uses, including cleaning and etching metals, manufacturing PVC, and regulating the pH levels in water and wastewater treatment. It is also used in the production of fertilizers and in the food industry as a flavoring agent and preservative.