Unraveling the Mystery: Comparing Neutralisation of HCl and CH3COOH

In summary: HCl dissociates into H+ and Cl- ions. The H+ ions will want to get back to the acid and the Cl- ions will want to go into water. Thus, the pH of the solution will be lower than the pH of the starting solution. However, because the H+ ions are more numerous than the Cl- ions, the HCl solution will still be neutralized.
Kyoma

Homework Statement

25 cm3 of 1 mol/dm3 ethanoic acid requires a smaller amount of sodium hydroxide for complete neutralisation than 25 cm3 of 1 mol/dm3 hydrochloric acid.
True or False?

2. The attempt at a solution

I selected true, but I was wrong. Both of them require the same amount of sodium hydroxide. How can this be?

Question 2:

In a dilute sugar solution, sugar molecules are widely separated, moving at random while water molecules are close together, moving at random.
True or False?

Attempt

I selected False. But I was wrong AGAIN! What's the reason?

Could you all help me with my questions. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Kyoma said:
I selected true, but I was wrong. Both of them require the same amount of sodium hydroxide. How can this be?

Why do you think they need different amount of base?

Similarly, try to explain your reasoning behind the answer to the second question.

--

I think they need different bases cause ethanoic acid is a weak acid while HCL is a strong acid, thus you need more NaOH to neutralise a strong acid than a weak acid.

I figured out the second qns though, but I remember a qns vaguely about alcohol being dissolved into water and the mixture seems to have mass that didn't add up to the mass of water and alcohol or something like that. I didn't know whether it is the mass, density or volume that didn't add up.

Kyoma said:
I think they need different bases cause ethanoic acid is a weak acid while HCL is a strong acid, thus you need more NaOH to neutralise a strong acid than a weak acid.

Write reaction equations both for HCl and acetic acid neutralization with NaOH.

How much base needed to neutralize 1 mole of each acid?

I figured out the second qns though, but I remember a qns vaguely about alcohol being dissolved into water and the mixture seems to have mass that didn't add up to the mass of water and alcohol or something like that. I didn't know whether it is the mass, density or volume that didn't add up.

Volume is not additive. Mass is additive, that's mass conservation in action. But I fail to see how volume being not additive is relevant to the question.

Both require 1 mole... But even if both acids have 1 mole of particles, HCL would have more hydrogen ions since ethanoic acid dissociates partially and there would be CH3COOH molecules left intact in the water.

I figured out qns 2. Thanks.

Kyoma said:
Both require 1 mole... But even if both acids have 1 mole of particles, HCL would have more hydrogen ions since ethanoic acid dissociates partially and there would be CH3COOH molecules left intact in the water.

You are mistaking dissociation with neutralization. Yes, pH of HCl solution is lower than pH of acetic acid solution, no, it doesn't mean it requires more base for neutralization.

--

Related to Unraveling the Mystery: Comparing Neutralisation of HCl and CH3COOH

1. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to compare the neutralization of two common acids, HCl and CH3COOH, and to determine their respective neutralization capacities.

2. What materials are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include HCl and CH3COOH solutions, a burette, a pH meter, a titration flask, an indicator (such as phenolphthalein), and distilled water.

3. How is the neutralization process measured?

The neutralization process is measured using a titration method, where a known volume of acid is added to a base until the solution reaches a neutral pH of 7. The volume of base needed to neutralize the acid is recorded and used to calculate the neutralization capacity.

4. What is the significance of comparing the neutralization of HCl and CH3COOH?

HCl and CH3COOH are both common acids found in everyday products. By comparing their neutralization capacities, we can gain a better understanding of their chemical properties and how they react with bases. This information can be useful in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals and food production.

5. Can the results of this experiment be applied to other acids and bases?

While the specific results of this experiment may not be directly applicable to other acids and bases, the general principles of neutralization can be applied to other acid-base reactions. It is important to note that different acids and bases may have different neutralization capacities and may require different methods of measurement.