Unraveling the Mystery Behind Quadratic and Linear Simultaneous Equations

In summary, the book incorrectly divides the equation by 2, resulting in the equation x^2 - x - 15 = 0. The correct equation should be 2x^2 - 2x - 30 = 0. This error may cause confusion and should be corrected.
david18
I'm currently going through some questions and came across quadratic and linear simultaneous equations.

Solve the equation: x + y = 1
x^2 + y^2 = 16

I am not interested in the question itself but rather the explanation the book gives me which says after a couple of steps shows the equation:

2x^2 - 2x -15 = 0

Then it tells me to divide the equation by 2 and says when you divide the equation by 2 you will get:

x^2 - x - 15 = 0

I'm confused because i thought the -15 would also have to divide by two...
is it the book or am i missing something serious here?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the equation you have provided is right, then it is an error on the part of the author/editor/printer.

I would like to clarify that the book's explanation is correct. When solving simultaneous equations, it is important to manipulate the equations in a way that makes it easier to find the solution. In this case, dividing the equation by 2 allows us to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve for x and y. The constant term, -15, does not need to be divided by 2 because it does not have a coefficient attached to it. Only the terms with coefficients need to be divided by 2. Therefore, the equation x^2 - x - 15 = 0 is equivalent to 2x^2 - 2x -15 = 0. This manipulation does not change the solution to the equation, it simply makes it easier to find. I hope this helps clarify any confusion you may have had about the solution process.

Related to Unraveling the Mystery Behind Quadratic and Linear Simultaneous Equations

1. What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of two or more equations with multiple variables that are solved simultaneously to find the values of the variables that satisfy all the equations.

2. What is the difference between quadratic and linear simultaneous equations?

Quadratic simultaneous equations contain at least one quadratic term (such as x^2) while linear simultaneous equations do not. This means that quadratic equations can have two solutions, while linear equations only have one solution.

3. Why are simultaneous equations important?

Simultaneous equations are important because they can represent real-life situations and help us solve problems that involve multiple variables. They are also the foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts, such as systems of equations and matrices.

4. How do you solve a system of quadratic and linear simultaneous equations?

To solve a system of quadratic and linear simultaneous equations, you can use substitution or elimination. In substitution, you solve one equation for one of the variables and substitute it into the other equation. In elimination, you manipulate the equations to eliminate one of the variables and solve for the remaining variable.

5. Are there any real-life applications of simultaneous equations?

Yes, simultaneous equations have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and chemistry. They can be used to model and solve problems related to motion, optimization, and chemical reactions, among others.