Unlocking Hidden Data: How to Save Files as Images on 4chan

In summary, a discussion on 4chan revealed a method of converting audio files to PNG and then back to their original format, while retaining useful information. This sparked questions about the usefulness of this process and its potential for hiding information. However, some argued that simply renaming files does not change their structure and converting to PNG results in lost data. The link provided was broken, but some users were able to successfully convert files using this method.
SF
No one thought something useful could be learned on 4chan, until now.

http://orz.4chan.org/hr/res/381892.html

Apparently renaming a file (such as an .mp3) to .raw and then saving it (using IrfanView or Photoshop) to PNG will allow you to retain the useful information in the image file.

When converting the PNG back to RAW and renaming it to have the original extension, you'll get the original file.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
And why would that be useful? Why not just save it as its original file? Is it compressed more that way?

Well, that link is broken, so I can't comment on the source of your information. However, your description sounds like a pointless exercise.

Simply renaming a file does not change the file's structure -- "myfile.mp3" renamed as "myfile.raw" is still a mp3 file. Second problem, "RAW" files are uncompressed image files created by digital cameras. Once you convert a RAW file to PNG (or anything else) you have lost image data. Saving a PNG as "RAW" can't restore that lost data.

pantaz said:
Well, that link is broken, so I can't comment on the source of your information. However, your description sounds like a pointless exercise.

Simply renaming a file does not change the file's structure -- "myfile.mp3" renamed as "myfile.raw" is still a mp3 file. Second problem, "RAW" files are uncompressed image files created by digital cameras. Once you convert a RAW file to PNG (or anything else) you have lost image data. Saving a PNG as "RAW" can't restore that lost data.
Apparently it does.

I saved a PNG as .RAW, renamed it to MP3 and got an .mp3 of the Rick Roll.

Possible applications relate to hiding stuff.

Was the original png file really a picture? I'd certainly like to see a file which is both an image and can be played as an audio file.

http://www.mediafire.com/?n1b54zj5tgz .png
http://www.mediafire.com/?xbgdnt65v5z .tga

Open them with IrfanView or Photoshop and save them as .RAW, then rename to .MP3 so Winamp would play them.

Last edited by a moderator:
It works. But strangely, when I tried to do the reverse by taking one my own mp3 files and reversing the process and then applying this procedure the media player failed to play the decoded mp3 file.

Oh god, not 4Chan, the cesspool of the internet

vincentm said:
Oh god, not 4Chan, the cesspool of the internet

Ditto that!

Related to Unlocking Hidden Data: How to Save Files as Images on 4chan

1. What is the purpose of saving files as images on 4chan?

The purpose of saving files as images on 4chan is to hide the actual data within the image file so that it cannot be easily detected or accessed by others. This can be useful for sharing sensitive information or bypassing file restrictions on the website.

2. How do I save a file as an image on 4chan?

To save a file as an image on 4chan, you can use a steganography tool or program that allows you to embed data within image files. There are also online tools available for this purpose. Simply upload your file and follow the instructions to generate an image with the hidden data.

3. Is it legal to save files as images on 4chan?

The legality of saving files as images on 4chan depends on the content of the file and the laws of the country you are in. If the file contains illegal or copyrighted material, it is not legal to hide it within an image. It is important to use this technique responsibly and within the boundaries of the law.

4. How can I access hidden data within an image on 4chan?

To access hidden data within an image on 4chan, you will need a steganography tool or program that allows you to extract the data from the image. This can usually be done by uploading the image to the program and following the instructions to extract the hidden data.

5. What are the potential risks of saving files as images on 4chan?

One potential risk of saving files as images on 4chan is that the hidden data could be discovered by others, compromising the security or privacy of the information. Additionally, if the hidden data is illegal or copyrighted, you could face legal consequences for sharing it. It is important to consider the potential risks before using this technique.