Unlocking a 1956 Article: Pitaevskii's Hamiltonian Transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses a difficulty in understanding a mathematical transition in Pitaevskii's article from 1956. The Hamiltonian is given in coordinate space and then transformed to its Fourier components using the continuity equation. The person has tried to "reverse engineer" the problem but is having trouble with a term involving a cross product. They doubt that Pitaevskii's equation is incorrect and are seeking advice on how to understand the derivation.
SilverHawk

Homework Statement

I'm following an article by Pitaevskii from 1956, and there's one mathematical transition which I don't understand. The Hamiltonian is given first in coordinate space, and then the density operator is transformed to its Fourier components. The continuity equation is also used, and then I haven't been able to get to the expression obtained in the article for the Hamiltonian.

Homework Equations

Attached as word document.

The Attempt at a Solution

I basically tried to "reverse engineer" my way from the equation I'm trying to obtain to the Hamiltonian in Fourier representation; namely, to express the density Fourier components using the current density Fourier components (according to the Fourier continuity equation), and then to plug those into the expression I'm trying to obtain for the Hamiltonian. The problem is that the term with the cross product (see doc) isn't zero, and I don't see how it would cancel out. And otherwise I don't see how the equation is obtained, and I highly doubt that Pitaevskii got it wrong.

Attachments

• Liquid He4.doc
    27 KB · Views: 155
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and attempts at solving this problem. It seems like you have put a lot of effort into understanding the mathematical transition in Pitaevskii's article. I agree that it can be frustrating when a certain step in a mathematical derivation is not clear.

One approach you could try is to break down the problem into smaller steps and see if you can understand each step individually before putting them together. For example, you could try to understand the Fourier transformation of the density operator first, and then move on to the continuity equation. Once you have a good understanding of each individual step, it may be easier to see how they all fit together to obtain the final expression for the Hamiltonian.

Also, keep in mind that mathematical derivations can sometimes involve multiple steps and simplifications, so it's possible that Pitaevskii may have used some intermediate steps or approximations that are not explicitly mentioned in the article. It may be helpful to consult other sources or textbooks on the subject to see if they offer any insights or alternative approaches.

Overall, don't get discouraged and keep exploring different avenues to try and understand the problem. it's important to be persistent and curious in the face of challenging problems. Good luck!

Related to Unlocking a 1956 Article: Pitaevskii's Hamiltonian Transformation

1. What is the significance of Pitaevskii's Hamiltonian Transformation article?

The article, written by theoretical physicist Lev P. Pitaevskii in 1956, is considered a groundbreaking work in the field of quantum mechanics. It introduced a powerful mathematical tool for studying the dynamics of many-body systems, now known as the Pitaevskii equation. This equation has since been used in a wide range of applications, including in the study of superfluidity and Bose-Einstein condensation.

2. How does Pitaevskii's Hamiltonian Transformation work?

The transformation involves rewriting the Hamiltonian, a mathematical expression used to describe the energy of a system, in terms of new variables. These new variables are known as collective coordinates and are used to describe the collective behavior of a large number of particles. This transformation simplifies the complex equations of motion and allows for easier analysis of the system's behavior.

3. What are the key concepts in Pitaevskii's Hamiltonian Transformation?

The key concepts in Pitaevskii's Hamiltonian Transformation are collective coordinates, many-body systems, and the Hamiltonian itself. Collective coordinates are used to describe the behavior of a large number of particles, while many-body systems refer to a system consisting of multiple interacting particles. The Hamiltonian is a mathematical expression that describes the energy of a system and is an essential concept in quantum mechanics.

4. How has Pitaevskii's Hamiltonian Transformation impacted the field of quantum mechanics?

Pitaevskii's Hamiltonian Transformation has had a significant impact on the field of quantum mechanics. It has provided a powerful tool for studying the dynamics of many-body systems, which has led to a better understanding of complex physical phenomena such as superfluidity and Bose-Einstein condensation. Additionally, the transformation has been applied in various fields, including atomic and molecular physics, condensed matter physics, and plasma physics.

5. Are there any limitations to Pitaevskii's Hamiltonian Transformation?

While Pitaevskii's Hamiltonian Transformation has been widely used and has greatly contributed to the field of quantum mechanics, it does have some limitations. The transformation is most effective for systems with weak interactions between particles and does not work well for strongly interacting systems. Additionally, it is not always straightforward to determine the appropriate collective coordinates to use for a particular system, which can make the analysis more challenging.