Effects from Oct 28th CME's wont hit Earth for a couple days?

In summary: Changed:9:50 PM on Wednesday, October 29, 2003I should have been able to see something from this Latitude then (SE England) but despite looking many times I saw nothing...:frown:
syano
This CNN article http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/ a big solar flare erupted today and it claims some kind of supercharged particles could hit Earth in one to two days….It talks about coronal mass ejections (CME)being associated with solar flares...

I guess whatever it is that is predicted to hit Earth in couple of days is something other than light?

What could be emitted from the Sun what would take it so long to reach Earth?

Thanks,

S

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A coronal mass ejection is just plasma from the outer surface of the Sun. The Sun is 150 million kilometers away; it's not surprising that it takes a while for it to reach us. Even if it takes 3 days for the solar wind to reach us, that means it's traveling at almost 600 kilometers per second, which is pretty fast by solar system standards. (By comparison, Earth escape velocity is only 11 kilometers per second.)

Should be some good 'Northern Lights' up in the skies shortly then. Maybe we'll even get to see something in SE England... I hope so.

What happens the day before a truly spectacular auroral display in England?

Heavy, thick cloud banks roll in from the Atlantic!

I thought that happened every day in England.

Actually, the one time I was there it was sunny and hot the whole 9 days. Seven days were 90+ farenheit.

Njorl

Originally posted by Nereid
What happens the day before a truly spectacular auroral display in England?

Heavy, thick cloud banks roll in from the Atlantic!

Auroral display? Clouds.
Total eclipse? Clouds
Leonids Metoer storm? Clouds.
Lunar eclipse? Clouds and rain.

I love astronomy, but the number of times I have got up in the middle of the night to see some spectactular phenomena and seen nothing but cloud is getting beyond a joke.
You predict the next exciting astronomoical event, and I'll predict the weather on that day!

Here are some nice shots people got from places the aurora was visible:

Spaceweather.com: October 2003 Aurora Gallery
Address:http://science.nasa.gov/spaceweather/aurora/gallery_01oct03_page3.html Changed:9:50 PM on Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - some lovely pictures there, thanks for that.
I should have been able to see something from this Latitude then (SE England) but despite looking many times I saw nothing...:frown:

This was at the same site. It's a phone subscrition service which will call you whenever there is anything of interest happening in the sky over your area:

Spaceweather PHONE
Address:http://spaceweatherphone.com/

What is a CME?

A CME, or coronal mass ejection, is a large burst of plasma and magnetic field released from the Sun's corona.

Why won't the CME effects hit Earth immediately?

The CME travels at a slower speed than the speed of light, so it takes time for it to reach Earth. It also depends on the direction and intensity of the CME.

What effects can we expect from a CME hitting Earth?

CMEs can cause geomagnetic storms, which can disrupt satellite and radio communications, and also create beautiful auroras in the sky.

How do scientists predict when a CME will reach Earth?

Scientists use data from satellites and ground-based observatories to track the speed and direction of CMEs. They can also use computer models to forecast the impact on Earth.

Is there any danger to humans from a CME hitting Earth?

CMEs do not pose a direct threat to humans, but they can cause disruptions to technology and power grids. However, Earth's atmosphere and magnetic field protect us from the harmful effects of CMEs.