Unknown_12's questions at Yahoo Answers regarding analytic geometry

In summary, the conversation was about solving two geometry problems - finding the interior angle of a given triangle and determining the value of y in a perpendicular line equation. The conversation included discussions on slopes, the tangent formula, and the angle-difference identity for the tangent function. Eventually, the solution for both problems was provided and the conversation ended with a thank you message.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here are the questions:

Question on analytic geometry about slopes?

Find the interior angle of the triangle with vertices (2, -5), (6,2), (4,1)

It must 180 degrees when calculated but stuck on the solution.

The line through (-2, y) and (2, 10) is perpendicular to a line through (-3, -7) and (5, -5) find y.

The formula will be like y2-y1 / x2- x1

and formula for angle tan m2-m1/1+m1(m2)

solution of the answer is appreciated.

I have posted a link there to this thread so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello unknown_12,

1.) Let's take a look at the triangle in the plane with the given vertices:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/1709._xfImport

The slope of line segment $a$ is:

\(\displaystyle m_a=\frac{2-1}{6-4}=\frac{1}{2}\)

The slope of line segment $b$ is:

\(\displaystyle m_b=\frac{1-(-5)}{4-2}=3\)

The slope of line segment $c$ is:

\(\displaystyle m_c=\frac{2-(-5)}{6-2}=\frac{7}{4}\)

Hence, angle $A$ is:

\(\displaystyle A=\tan^{-1}\left(m_b \right)-\tan^{-1}\left(m_c \right)=\tan^{-1}\left(3 \right)-\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{7}{4} \right)\approx0.197395559849881\)

Angle $B$ is:

\(\displaystyle B=\tan^{-1}\left(m_c \right)-\tan^{-1}\left(m_a \right)=\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{7}{4} \right)-\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{1}{2} \right)\approx0.588002603547568\)

Angle $C$ is:

\(\displaystyle C=\pi-\left(\tan^{-1}\left(m_b \right)-\tan^{-1}\left(m_a \right) \right)=\pi+\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{1}{2} \right)-\tan^{-1}(3)=\frac{3\pi}{4}\)

As a check, we see that:

\(\displaystyle A+B+C=\pi\)

2.) The slope of the first line is:

\(\displaystyle m_1=\frac{10-y}{2-(-2)}=\frac{10-y}{4}\)

The slope of the second line is:

\(\displaystyle m_2=\frac{-5-(-7)}{5-(-3)}=\frac{1}{4}\)

When two lines are perpendicular, the product of their slopes is $-1$, as proven here:

http://mathhelpboards.com/math-notes-49/perpendicular-lines-product-their-slopes-2953.html

Hence, we must have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{10-y}{4}\cdot\frac{1}{4}=-1\)

\(\displaystyle 10-y=-16\)

\(\displaystyle y=26\)

Attachments

• unknown_12.jpg
    unknown_12.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 62
Hello, I'm the one posted from yahoo answer; is that same from the tangent formula that I've posted?

Because when I used the formula, it couldn't provide a 180 degrees.

Last edited:
jamescv31 said:
Hello, I'm the one posted from yahoo answer; is that same from the tangent formula that I've posted?

Hello and welcome to MHB, jamescv31! :D

I take it you are supposed to use the angle-difference identity for the tangent function instead of the product of the slopes.

\(\displaystyle \theta_1-\theta_2=\frac{\pi}{2}\)

Taking the tangent of both sides, we get:

\(\displaystyle \tan\left(\theta_1-\theta_2 \right)=\tan\left(\frac{\pi}{2} \right)\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{m_1-m_2}{1+m_1m_2}=\tan\left(\frac{\pi}{2} \right)\)

Since \(\displaystyle \tan\left(\frac{\pi}{2} \right)\) is undefined, we see that we require:

\(\displaystyle 1+m_1m_2=0\)

\(\displaystyle m_1m_2=-1\)

jamescv31 said:
...Because when I used the formula, it couldn't provide a 180 degrees.

This was added while I was composing my reply. I assume this refers to the first problem. You want the sum of the 3 angles to be $180^{\circ}=\pi$.

Do you understand how I computed the values of the individual angles?

Yes I'm referring on the interior problem, since our teacher provided this formula only for the discussion

the Tangent = m2+m1/ 1 + m1m2

Which the goal is to have an equal 180 degrees or 179.9 as possible.

Could I manage to have an exact 180 degrees with the formula of tangent
m2-m1/1+m1m2 ?

- - - Updated - - -

Well nevermind, got already.

Thank you for the time. :)

jamescv31 said:
Yes I'm referring on the interior problem, since our teacher provided this formula only for the discussion

the Tangent = m2+m1/ 1 + m1m2

Which the goal is to have an equal 180 degrees or 179.9 as possible.

Okay, well using the formula you originally gave, we find:

\(\displaystyle A=\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{m_b-m_c}{1+m_am_b} \right)=\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{3-\frac{7}{4}}{1+3\cdot\frac{7}{4}} \right)=\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{1}{5} \right)\approx0.197395559849881\)

\(\displaystyle B=\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{m_c-m_a}{1+m_am_c} \right)=\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{\frac{1}{2}-\frac{7}{4}}{1+\frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac{7}{4}} \right)=\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{2}{3} \right)\approx0.588002603547568\)

\(\displaystyle C=\pi+\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{m_a-m_b}{1+m_am_b} \right)=\pi+\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{\frac{1}{2}-3}{1+\frac{1}{2}\cdot3} \right)=\pi+\tan^{-1}\left(-1 \right)=\pi-\frac{\pi}{4}=\frac{3\pi}{4}\)

Note: For angle $C$ it was necessary to add $\pi$ to get the angle in the correct quadrant.

If we convert the angles to degrees, we find:

\(\displaystyle A\approx11.31^{\circ}\)

\(\displaystyle B\approx33.69^{\circ}\)

\(\displaystyle C=135^{\circ}\)

We see then that:

\(\displaystyle A+B+C\approx180^{\circ}\)

Related to Unknown_12's questions at Yahoo Answers regarding analytic geometry

1. What is analytic geometry?

Analytic geometry is a branch of mathematics that combines algebra and geometry to study geometric figures using coordinates. It allows us to represent geometric shapes and solve problems using algebraic equations and formulas.

2. How is analytic geometry used in real life?

Analytic geometry is used in a variety of fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer graphics. It is used to solve problems involving distances, areas, and angles, and to create 3D models and simulations.

3. What are some common topics in analytic geometry?

Some common topics in analytic geometry include lines, circles, parabolas, ellipses, hyperbolas, and conic sections. Other topics include transformations, polar coordinates, and vector operations.

4. What are the key skills needed for understanding analytic geometry?

To understand analytic geometry, one needs to have a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. It is also important to have a good understanding of coordinate systems and the ability to visualize and manipulate geometric figures.

5. Are there any helpful resources for learning about analytic geometry?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning about analytic geometry. These include textbooks, online courses, video tutorials, and practice problems. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if needed.