Unknown primes less than largest known prime?

In summary, there is no definitive answer to the question about unknown primes that are less than the largest known prime. While there are methods and algorithms for finding prime numbers, the exact number of primes and their distribution is still unknown. This makes it impossible to determine with certainty if there are any unknown primes that are less than the current largest known prime. However, it is believed that there are infinite primes and that there are likely unknown primes that are smaller than the largest known prime.
SW VandeCarr
The largest known primes for some time have all been Mersenne primes. Can it be shown either that there may exist or cannot exist unknown primes less than the largest known prime?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure you can even prove that there aren't other Mersenne primes between the those found.

Last edited:
If you're talking only about other Mersenne primes, mgb_phys answered it: we have no idea. But to answer your literal question:
SW VandeCarr said:
The largest known primes for some time have all been Mersenne primes. Can it be shown either that there may exist or cannot exist unknown primes less than the largest known prime?

There are more than 1012978181 primes* beneath the largest known Mersenne prime. If storing each prime takes 1 bit, there has not been enough storage media produced on Earth through all history (hard drives, DVDs, clay tablets) to hold all these primes.

So yes, there are unknown primes beneath the largest known prime.

* In particukar, there are between 1.05901756822452 × 1012978181 and 1.05901756822453 × 1012978181 primes in that range, thanks to Pierre Dusart's tight bounds on pi(x).

CRGreathouse said:
There are more than 1012978181 primes
That you can even calculate such a number is truly amazing!

CRGreathouse said:
If you're talking only about other Mersenne primes, mgb_phys answered it: we have no idea. But to answer your literal question:

There are more than 1012978181 primes* beneath the largest known Mersenne prime. If storing each prime takes 1 bit, there has not been enough storage media produced on Earth through all history (hard drives, DVDs, clay tablets) to hold all these primes.

So yes, there are unknown primes beneath the largest known prime.

* In particukar, there are between 1.05901756822452 × 1012978181 and 1.05901756822453 × 1012978181 primes in that range, thanks to Pierre Dusart's tight bounds on pi(x).

Thanks GR Greathouse.

If I wanted to enumerate the primes over some tractable interval less than the largest known prime , would it be any easier given that at least one prime greater than the upper bound of the interval is known?

SW VandeCarr said:
If I wanted to enumerate the primes over some tractable interval less than the largest known prime , would it be any easier given that at least one prime greater than the upper bound of the interval is known?

No, it would be just as hard. There's no good way to use that information.

CRGreathouse said:
No, it would be just as hard. There's no good way to use that information.

I appreciate your patience with me. Just one more (two part) related question:

If I wanted to construct an unbroken sequence of all primes up to some prime p', would this limit be determined only by the limits of computability (brute force and/or algorithmic)? Is there any information regarding about what this limit might be?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
I appreciate your patience with me. Just one more (two part) related question:

I don't mind answering your questions.

SW VandeCarr said:
If I wanted to construct an unbroken sequence of all primes up to some prime p', would this limit be determined only by the limits of computability (brute force and/or algorithmic)? Is there any information regarding about what this limit might be?

I don't understand what you're asking. But practically, if you want to make a huge list of primes, the issue you'll run into is storage: the memory needed for an efficient search (say, at least 20 * sqrt(n)/log(n) bytes to search up to n), and the hard drive (or whatever) space to keep the primes you find (say, 16 * n / log(n) bytes to store the primes up to n, or an eighth that amount for just the differences). So if you wanted a list of primes up to 10^20, you'd need several million terabytes of hard drive space (tens of millions unless you just store the differences).

SW VandeCarr said:
1)I'm trying to confirm that all primes up the largest known prime (or any arbitrarily large prime (p')) are in principle computable (Turing definition).

They are.

SW VandeCarr said:
2) Practically there is always a lot of interest in new largest prime, but none (as far as I can tell) as to the longest unbroken sequence of primes from 2 to p' . It seems such lists this would have utility for codes, "random" sequences and simply examining the statistical properties of such sequences. For example, do we know the first 10^6 or 10^7 primes?

There are algorithms that, given enough memory, can compute primes up to n faster than iterating through 1, 2, ..., n. So storage becomes the limiting concern there. You could fill a 250 GB hard drive with primes, but what then? It's often faster to generate them and use them on the fly anyway -- don't bother with the (slow) hard drive.

CRGreathouse said:
They are.

There are algorithms that, given enough memory, can compute primes up to n faster than iterating through 1, 2, ..., n. So storage becomes the limiting concern there. You could fill a 250 GB hard drive with primes, but what then? It's often faster to generate them and use them on the fly anyway -- don't bother with the (slow) hard drive.

Thanks for your answers CRGreathouse. That's what I'll do.

SW VandeCarr said:
Thanks for your answers CRGreathouse. That's what I'll do.

May I ask what your application is?

CRGreathouse said:
May I ask what your application is?

I'm interested in the statistical distribution of primes as it relates to some interesting research in self-organizing processes. There's a number of papers on the net regarding this. I'm a retired epidemiologist.

CRGreathouse said:
They are.

Just out of curiosity and possibly to help the originator of this thread, can someone point to a source for such a list generating algorithm. I know of prime lists of the first n primes, n = 10,000 or lower are the typical lists of primes that I have seen, but as to the quickest or most powerful list generator, I have no idea of where to look.

Last edited:
ramsey2879 said:
Just out of curiosity and possibly to help the originator of this thread, can someone point to a source for such a list generating algorithm. I know of prime lists of the first n primes, n = 10,000 or lower are the typical lists of primes that I have seen, but as to the quickest or most powerful list generator, I have no idea of where to look.

The Sieve of Atkin is the asymptotically fastest method I know. Bernstein has an excellent implementation on his site.

Isn't it easier to use the formula by Riemann that gives an exact formula for pi(x) as a series involving the zeroes of the Riemann zeta function?

Count Iblis said:
Isn't it easier to use the formula by Riemann that gives an exact formula for pi(x) as a series involving the zeroes of the Riemann zeta function?

Not if you want an exact answer.

Related to Unknown primes less than largest known prime?

1. What are unknown primes less than the largest known prime?

Unknown primes less than the largest known prime refer to prime numbers that are smaller than the largest known prime number, but have not yet been discovered or proven to exist.

2. How do scientists search for unknown primes less than the largest known prime?

To search for unknown primes less than the largest known prime, scientists use advanced algorithms and computer programs designed specifically for finding and verifying prime numbers.

3. Is there a limit to the largest known prime?

As of now, there is no known limit to the largest prime number. Scientists continue to find larger and larger primes, with the current largest known prime having over 24 million digits.

4. Why is it important to find unknown primes less than the largest known prime?

Finding unknown primes is important for several reasons. It helps us better understand the patterns and properties of prime numbers, and can also have practical applications in fields such as cryptography and computer science.

5. Are there any ongoing efforts to find unknown primes less than the largest known prime?

Yes, there are several ongoing efforts by mathematicians and computer scientists to find unknown primes less than the largest known prime. These efforts use advanced techniques and technology to search for and verify the existence of these elusive numbers.