Unknown distances, constant speed, average velocity

In summary, the problem involves a car traveling at a constant speed of 48.5 mi/h for distance d, and then another distance d at a different constant speed. The average velocity for the entire trip is 30.5 mi/h. To find the constant speed for the second distance, the equation for average velocity as a function of displacement and time must be used. The total time of the trip must also be calculated by summing the time it takes for each part of the trip at the different speeds, which involves some algebraic manipulation.
oceanbunny

Homework Statement

A car travels along a straight line at a constant speed of 48.5 mi/h for distance d and then another distance d in the same direction at another constant speed. The average velocity for the entire trip is 30.5mi/h.

a) What is the constant speed with which the car moved during the second distance d?

Homework Equations

I know that speed = distance/ delta time, and that velocity = displacement/ delta time

The Attempt at a Solution

The only formula that I thought might help was Xfinal = Xinitial + (1/2)(Vxinitial + Vxfinal)time but then I decided that it was a dumb formula to use and now I'm stuck :/ I can't seem to relate the constant speed and average velocity to each other the right way..

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation for average velocity as a function of displacement and time? You are going to have to calculate the total time of the trip by summing the time it takes for each part of the trip at the different speeds. Some algebraic manipulation is involved.

Related to Unknown distances, constant speed, average velocity

1. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance refers to the total length of the path traveled by an object, regardless of direction. Displacement, on the other hand, refers to the shortest distance between the initial and final position of an object, taking into account direction.

2. How do we calculate average velocity?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement of an object by the time it took to travel that distance. It is expressed as a vector quantity, including both magnitude and direction.

3. Can an object have a constant speed but varying velocity?

Yes, an object can have a constant speed but varying velocity if it changes direction while moving at that speed. This is because velocity takes into account both speed and direction of motion.

4. What is the formula for finding unknown distances using average velocity?

The formula for finding unknown distances using average velocity is distance = average velocity * time. This formula assumes that the velocity remains constant throughout the entire time interval.

5. How does an object's constant speed affect its velocity?

An object's constant speed does not affect its velocity, as long as the direction of motion remains constant. This is because velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account both speed and direction of motion.