University physics with modern physics

In summary, the conversation is about the book "University Physics with Modern Physics" and whether the modern physics portion is enough to test out of a modern physics class. It is advised to speak with the instructor of the class to determine if the material in the book covers enough for the test. The book covers topics such as special relativity, quantum physics, and optics.
unsung-hero
Ok, currently I am studying a book called University physics with modern physics. I am only studying classical mechanics at the time. My question is, the modern portion part of it, is it about the same material taught in introductory modern physics class(state university) or do i have to get a separate book just on modern physics?

The reason I am asking this is because i am allowed to skip classes by testing out of them. So, i want to test out of modern physics and i was wondering if the modern physics portion of this book is enough?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there's enough variation between intro modern physics courses at different schools that you had best talk to whoever teaches that course at your school, especially if he's the one who will write the test that you would have to take. :oldwink:

I think that's Giancoli, from the title.

The "Modern Physics" section includes what you'd find in the first few chapters of a Modern Physics book: special relativity and a bit of quantum and atomic stuff. It also has a few optics-related chapters towards the end, depending on your school that may fall into modern physics or University Physics 2.

Related to University physics with modern physics

1. What is the difference between classical and modern physics?

Classical physics is the study of physical phenomena at the macroscopic level, while modern physics deals with the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level. Modern physics incorporates concepts such as quantum mechanics and relativity that are not accounted for in classical physics.

2. What topics are typically covered in a university physics with modern physics course?

A university physics with modern physics course typically covers topics such as classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and special relativity. Some courses may also cover topics in astrophysics, nuclear physics, and particle physics.

3. Is a strong background in mathematics necessary for studying university physics with modern physics?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is essential for studying university physics with modern physics. Concepts such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations are heavily used in modern physics and are necessary for understanding the underlying principles and equations.

4. How can I apply the concepts learned in university physics with modern physics to real-world problems?

The concepts learned in university physics with modern physics can be applied to a wide range of real-world problems, from designing new technologies to understanding natural phenomena. For example, the principles of electromagnetism can be used to create new electronic devices, and the laws of thermodynamics are crucial for understanding energy transfer in various systems.

5. What career opportunities are available for someone with a degree in university physics with modern physics?

A degree in university physics with modern physics can lead to various career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, and teaching. Graduates may work in industries such as aerospace, energy, and telecommunications, or pursue advanced degrees in physics or related fields.