University Physics 1 Work Problem

In summary, the amount of work done by the applied force on the car is 169.39J. This can be calculated using the dot product between the force and displacement vectors, or by using the formula W = F cos(θ) s where θ is the angle between the force and displacement vectors. It is important to note that the angle used in the calculation should be the angle between the force vector and the displacement vector, not the angle of the displacement vector itself.
USN2ENG

Homework Statement

You apply a constant force F=(-68.0N)i + (36.0N)j to a 390kg car as the car travels 60.0m in a direction that is 240.0° counterclockwise from the x-axis.

How much work does the force you apply do on the car?

Homework Equations

W=Fs
W=K2-K1
W=Fcos(θ)s
F/m=a
Vf^2=Vi^2 + 2Ad

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure what I am doing wrong here. I have calculated the magnitude of the Force as 76.9N.

So I have tried:
76.9(cos(240))*-60 (applying the force in the same direction as the car moves) = 2307J

I also tried to use the Work energy theorem and found acceleration (76.9/390kg)=0.197m/s^2. I then used this in Vf^2=Vi^2 + 2Ad. So Vf = 4.86. I then use that in K2-K2=W=.5mVf^2-.5Vi^2. (I was assuming that Vi is 0 here, even though it didn't state from rest)

I feel like this is something simple that I am missing. Any direction would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the angle between the force and the displacement?

The dot-product of the displacement with the force is the Work.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_(physics)#Mathematical_calculation

Draw the diagram, 240 degrees anticlockwise from the +x axis is 60 degrees anticlockwise (pi/3 radiens) from the -x axis

So what is the car moves -60sin(π/3)j-60cos(π/3)i (a 2:1:√3 triangle) gives the vector:

d=(-30,-30√3)t
F=(-68.0, 36.0)t

You know how to evaluate a vector dot product?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_product

Last edited:
Ahhhh ok. Thanks!

I was using the angle of s and not the angle between s and F.

So the angle of F is 152.1°
240°-152.1°=87.9

so W=(76.94N)cos(87.9)(60m) = 169N

Much better!

Well that's the other way to do it <sniff>.

The dot product would have been:

(-30)(-69)+(-30√3)(36)=169.39J

<sulks>

Haha, thanks for explaining that Simon! I guess I should have just looked at the W = F dot s to begin with and it would have made all of that a lot quicker. I am glad I have a new way of looking at that now.
Thanks Again

<perks up>
It's the way forward with computers - wait till you start working with matlab, octave, and the like. After a while it is the first thing you think of.

Basically, if you are given the angles - it's quicker to use the angles. If you are given coordinates, then the dot-product is faster and you don't have to worry about the deg/rad setting. In this case the angle of the displacement was simple, I didn't even need a calculator.

Related to University Physics 1 Work Problem

1. What is the definition of work in physics?

In physics, work is defined as the product of the magnitude of a force and the displacement of the object in the direction of the force.

2. How is work calculated in physics?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work is W = F*d, where W is work, F is force, and d is displacement.

3. What are the units of work in physics?

The units of work in physics are joules (J). One joule is equal to one newton-meter (N*m).

4. How is work related to energy?

Work and energy are closely related concepts in physics. Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, or the conversion of one form of energy to another. Energy is the ability to do work, and work is what is done when energy is transferred or converted.

5. What are some real-life examples of work in physics?

Some common examples of work in physics include pushing a shopping cart, lifting a book, or pulling a sled. In each case, a force is applied to an object and the object moves in the direction of the force, resulting in work being done. Other examples of work include the work done by an engine to move a car, the work done by a person climbing stairs, or the work done by a wind turbine to generate electricity.