University application and GRE Subject test

In summary, the conversation discusses the requirement of the GRE Subject test for graduate school applications in physics. It is mentioned that some universities do not require the test, but they are not highly ranked. It is recommended to take the test for better chances of admission. The speaker also shares their personal experience and advises not to let the test dictate the decision to apply. However, it is noted that GRE scores are still taken seriously by graduate programs. It is suggested to wait and not limit oneself to a few options for a long commitment like graduate school.
Quantum River
I am preparing to apply to a graduate school of physics. I have taken the GRE general test and TOEFL. But I have not taken the GRE Subject test. I find nearly all the universities in US require the GRE Subject test. Is there any university that do not require the GRE Subject test? Or I will have to apply next year.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are universities that do not require the subject test, but they are not the majority and usually not near the top of the rankings list. I suggest taking the test.

For near a year, I am so focusing on writing several papers. So I forgot to take the GRE Subject test. On the Internet, I find nearly 20 physics departments, such as the Calfornia universities and Michigan State University, they all require the Subject test score.

Could you tell me which physics departments do not require GRE Subject test? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

If I do not apply this year, I have to wait for one year.

I am in the same boat as you. According to my adviser, most programs take those scores with a grain of salt because studies have shown that performance on the subject GRE doesn't correlate with performance in grad school. He told me it's not that big of a deal and I shouldn't let it dictate which schools I apply to. I think the trick is checking with your professors and seeing what their connections are so that you can get a personal relationship with someone at the school you want to go to. I decided I wanted to take a year off for other reasons, but don't let the test dictate what you do.

As poor indicators of success as they may be, subject test GRE scores in physics are still taken very seriously by graduate programs, perhaps more seriously than undergraduate grades.

You can start looking up graduate programs and ask if they will consider students without GRE scores, but I doubt you will have much success. Unless you want to have very limited choices for a place where you will be studying for about the next six years (for a PhD), I would recommend waiting. Graduate school is a long commitment not to be undertaken lightly.

Related to University application and GRE Subject test

`

1. What is required for a university application?

To apply for a university, you will typically need to submit an application form, official transcripts, letters of recommendation, standardized test scores (such as the SAT or ACT), and a personal statement or essay.

2. What is the GRE Subject Test?

The GRE Subject Test is a standardized test that measures your knowledge and skills in a specific subject area, such as biology, chemistry, literature, or psychology. It is typically required for admission to graduate programs in the United States.

3. Do all universities require the GRE Subject Test?

No, not all universities require the GRE Subject Test. Some may have specific requirements or preferences for certain programs or departments, so it is important to check with the university you are applying to for their specific requirements.

4. How do I prepare for the GRE Subject Test?

To prepare for the GRE Subject Test, you can review content and practice questions in the specific subject area you will be tested on. You can also take practice tests and utilize study materials provided by the Educational Testing Service (ETS), the organization that administers the test.

5. Can I retake the GRE Subject Test if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake the GRE Subject Test if you are not satisfied with your score. However, there are limitations on how often you can retake the test, so it is important to plan and prepare for the test carefully to try to achieve your desired score on the first attempt.