Universe re-collapse and time reversal

In summary, the Hubble constant would decrease in a recollapse of the universe, eventually reaching a negative value. This means that the age of the universe, which is inversely related to the Hubble constant, would decrease as well. However, this does not imply time reversal. The inverse of the Hubble parameter only gives the age of the universe if the scale factor grows linearly, which is not the case in our universe. The approach velocities of points in a collapsing universe obey Hubble's law, with points further away having higher velocities. This means that the negative Hubble constant increases in magnitude over time, but this does not necessarily mean an increase in value.
Ranku
If the universe were to re-collapse, the Hubble constant would increase over time. Since the age of the universe is the inverse of the Hubble constant, the age of the universe will decrease. Does that mean time reversal?

Space news on Phys.org
No. In a recollapse the Hubble constant would first decrease to eventually go negative.

It is also not true that the age of the Universe is as simple as the inverse of the Hubble parameter. It depends on what you assume about what dominates the expansion.

The inverse of the Hubble parameter tells you how long it'd take to cover the distance between any two points, given their recession velocity.
This equals the actual age of the universe only if the scale factor grows linearly. I.e. the recession velocities stay constant - Which requires an empty universe. In our universe, up to this moment, there was a period of deceleration, and a period of acceleration, in roughly equal measure. Just so that the growth of the scale factor can be roughly approximated as linear. The approximation was much more off in the past, will be better in a few billion years, and will be increasingly more off for the reminder of time. It's only in this sense that the inverse of H gives the age of the universe. There's no fancy-shmancy arrow-of-time physics involved.

Orodruin said:
In a recollapse the Hubble constant would first decrease to eventually go negative.
What do you mean by 'go negative' - as in having a negative sign?

Ranku said:
What do you mean by 'go negative' - as in having a negative sign?
Yes. The further away things are in a collapsing universe, the faster they move towards us.

Ibix said:
Yes. The further away things are in a collapsing universe, the faster they move towards us.
But isn't that counterintuitive, since gravitational attraction, and therefore acceleration only increases as objects approach each other.

Ranku said:
But isn't that counterintuitive, since gravitational attraction, and therefore acceleration only increases as objects approach each other.
No. It is a direct consequence of homogeneous expansion/contraction.

Likes PeroK
Ranku said:
You're making the mistake of thinking of Hubble's law as if it were describing the motion of a single point across a range of distances, whereas it describes the state of motion of different points at a moment in time.

Start with the moment when an initially expanding universe is decelerated so that it's neither expanding nor contracting (it's at the inflection point, just before the contraction begins).
At this moment, every recession velocity, of any distant point, is zero, and the Hubble parameter is zero.
Then the points start approaching. The point A at distance d from the observer is accelerated inward by all the mass that is contained within a sphere of radius d. Point B at distance 2d is accelerated by all the mass within a sphere of radius 2d. I.e. points further away are accelerated more, so the velocity they gain is greater. Just as Hubble's law describes, only with the Hubble parameter now going negative (which only means the direction being reversed from expansion to contraction).

After some time, those same points will have moved closer to the observer, and will have gained speed. But they still obey Hubble's law, with points twice more distant having twice more speed. It's the changing Hubble parameter (in this case, becoming more negative), that reflects the increasing approach velocity of points A and B as they get closer together.
edit: I should clarify - it's how H is changing, since it'd be changing even in a coasting universe, where all velocities remain constant for all time.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes timmdeeg, PeroK, Ranku and 1 other person
Bandersnatch said:
You're making the mistake of thinking of Hubble's law as if it were describing the motion of a single point across a range of distances, whereas it describes the state of motion of different points at a moment in time.

Start with the moment when an initially expanding universe is decelerated so that it's neither expanding nor contracting (it's at the inflection point, just before the contraction begins).
At this moment, every recession velocity, of any distant point, is zero, and the Hubble parameter is zero.
Then the points start approaching. The point A at distance d from the observer is accelerated inward by all the mass that is contained within a sphere of radius d. Point B at distance 2d is accelerated by all the mass within a sphere of radius 2d. I.e. points further away are accelerated more, so the velocity they gain is greater. Just as Hubble's law describes, only with the Hubble parameter now going negative (which only means the direction being reversed from expansion to contraction).

After some time, those same points will have moved closer to the observer, and will have gained speed. But they still obey Hubble's law, with points twice more distant having twice more speed. It's the changing Hubble parameter (in this case, becoming more negative), that reflects the increasing approach velocity of points A and B as they get closer together.
edit: I should clarify - it's how H is changing, since it'd be changing even in a coasting universe, where all velocities remain constant for all time.
To be clear, negative Hubble constant will increase in value over time in a contracting universe?

Ranku said:
To be clear, negative Hubble constant will increase in value over time in a contracting universe?
Depends what you mean by "increase". It would be 0 at some time, -1 at a later time, -2 at a still later time, which I would call a decrease. Its magnitude increases, though, if that's what you mean.

(Yes there should be units, but it doesn't matter which ones they are here.)

• Informative
Likes Bandersnatch and Ranku
Ibix said:
Depends what you mean by "increase". It would be 0 at some time, -1 at a later time, -2 at a still later time, which I would call a decrease. Its magnitude increases, though, if that's what you mean.

(Yes there should be units, but it doesn't matter which ones they are here.)
Yes, that's what I meant.

Just clarify for me, is it the "things" in universe grow closer together or is it space that is that is getting smaller?

Should I should said space-time?

Imager said:
Just clarify for me, is it the "things" in universe grow closer together or is it space that is that is getting smaller?

If there is enough matter in the universe for it to re-collapse, the universe would be spatially closed like a sphere. So the re-collapsing spacetime universe will become smaller along with the matter in it growing closer.

Likes Imager
Imager said:
That isn't either-or. "Things get further apart/closer together" is a direct observation you can make by bouncing radar pulses off distant galaxies (in principle anyway - there are a few practical challenges). The question is how you interpret that - as "space expanding/contracting between stationary objects" or as "objects moving through space". There isn't a right answer to that. The usual interpretation is the first one and it has a lot of advantages, notably that it directly reflects the "everything's the same everywhere" cosmological principle. But the other isn't wrong.
Imager said:
Definitely not. Spacetime includes space now, space in the past, and space in the future. It doesn't change, it just is. In fact, the choice of interpretation above is a choice of different ways to slice ("foliate" is the technical term) 4d spacetime into a stack of 3d "space at one time" slices.

Likes James William Hall, timmdeeg and Imager
Ranku and Ibix, thank you for your help!

Likes Ranku and Ibix

Related to Universe re-collapse and time reversal

1. What is the concept of universe re-collapse and time reversal?

The concept of universe re-collapse and time reversal is based on the theory of the Big Bang, which suggests that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since. However, according to some theories, the expansion of the universe may eventually slow down and reverse, causing the universe to collapse back into a singularity.

2. Is there evidence to support the idea of universe re-collapse and time reversal?

Currently, there is no definitive evidence to support the concept of universe re-collapse and time reversal. However, some observations, such as the discovery of dark energy, suggest that the expansion of the universe may be accelerating, which could potentially lead to a collapse in the distant future.

3. What would happen to time if the universe were to re-collapse?

If the universe were to re-collapse, time would essentially reverse. This means that events would be experienced in reverse order, with the future becoming the past and the past becoming the future. This concept is known as time reversal symmetry.

4. Could we potentially travel back in time if the universe were to re-collapse?

While the idea of time reversal may seem like a way to travel back in time, it is important to note that it would not be possible to change events that have already occurred. Time would still move forward, but in reverse order, meaning that any actions taken would have already happened in the past.

5. How does the concept of universe re-collapse and time reversal impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of universe re-collapse and time reversal challenges our current understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It also raises questions about the ultimate fate of the universe and the possibility of time travel. Further research and evidence are needed to fully understand this complex and intriguing concept.