Universal Joint Manufacturer/Supplier

In summary, the conversation is about finding a manufacturer or supplier for joints with counterbores at the ends for mounting on a flat plate. The size and power handling capacity are not of utmost importance as the joints will be used as bearings in a motion platform. The suggestion is to prioritize these factors rather than finding an adaptor.
thshen34
Does anyone know a manufacturer or supplier of joints like the one shown here:

https://grabcad.com/library/universal-joint-graphite-bushes

The main feature I'm looking for is the counterbores at the ends that allow mounting to a flat plate. Almost all the ones I've found are made for connecting shafts.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
thshen34 said:
The main feature I'm looking for is the counterbores at the ends that allow mounting to a flat plate.

So the size and power handling capacity doesn't matter? I would suggest that's usually more important and that getting an adaptor made would be the easy part.

Right, the size can be anywhere around 1/4in or 6mm in diameter. I'm mainly using these as bearings and not to transmit torque, as part of a Stewart platform/hexapod motion platform.

Related to Universal Joint Manufacturer/Supplier

1. What is a universal joint and what is its purpose?

A universal joint is a mechanical component that connects two shafts at an angle, allowing for rotation in multiple directions. Its purpose is to transmit torque and motion from one shaft to another, even if they are not aligned with each other.

2. What industries use universal joints?

Universal joints are used in a wide range of industries such as automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, and agriculture. They are also commonly found in industrial machinery, power transmission systems, and even in household appliances like mixers and blenders.

3. How do I choose the right universal joint for my application?

There are several factors to consider when choosing a universal joint, including the type of application, torque and speed requirements, operating conditions, and budget. It is best to consult with a reputable universal joint manufacturer or supplier who can help you select the best option for your specific needs.

4. What materials are universal joints made of?

Universal joints can be made from a variety of materials, including steel, aluminum, brass, and various alloys. The material used depends on the application and its operating conditions. Some universal joints may also have coatings or surface treatments for added durability and corrosion resistance.

5. Can universal joints be customized?

Yes, many universal joint manufacturers and suppliers offer customization options to meet specific requirements. This can include modifying dimensions, materials, and even adding features such as seals or special coatings. However, it is important to consult with a professional to ensure that any customization will not compromise the performance or integrity of the universal joint.