Universal gravitation 8- determine the speed of a satellite

In summary, Kepler's 3rd law states that the planet's motion must conform to a circular motion equation. From this law, we can calculate the mass of the planet and the speed of the orbiting satellite. Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation states that the gravitational force between two masses is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Finally, from these three equations, we can calculate the mass of the orbiting satellite as well as its speed.
dani123

Homework Statement

Determine the speed of a satellite moving in a stable orbit about the Earth if the satellite is 525 km above the Earth's surface.

Homework Equations

I have made a list of equations that are relevant for this entire module on universal gravitation. So although there are many of them does not mean that they all apply in this circumstance. The ones relevant to this question will be placed in bold.

Kepler's 3rd law: (Ta/Tb)2=(Ra/Rb)3

motion of planets must conform to circular motion equation: Fc=4∏2mR/T2

From Kepler's 3rd law: R3/T2=K or T2=R3/K

Gravitational force of attraction between the sun and its orbiting planets: F=(4∏2Ks)*m/R2=Gmsm/R2

Gravitational force of attraction between the Earth and its orbiting satelittes: F=(4∏2Ke)m/R2=Gmem/R2

Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation: F=Gm1m2/d2

value of universal gravitation constant is: G=6.67x10-11N*m2/kg2

weight of object on or near Earth: weight=Fg=mog, where g=9.8 N/kg
Fg=Gmome/Re2

g=Gme/(Re)2

determine the mass of the Earth: me=g(Re)2/G

speed of satellite as it orbits the Earth: v=√GMe/R, where R=Re+h

period of the Earth-orbiting satellite: T=2∏√R3/GMe

Field strength in units N/kg: g=F/m

Determine mass of planet when given orbital period and mean orbital radius: Mp=4∏2Rp3/GTp2

The Attempt at a Solution

v=?
Re=6.38x106m
h=525km=525000m
G=6.67x10-11N*m2/kg2
me=5.98x1024kg

R=Re+h=6905000m

With all this information, I used to plug into the equation highlighted above to solve for v=7600.32m/s

If someone could please have a look at my work and let me know if I made any mistakes, if so point them out to me! it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much in advance:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct again!
IMHO I still suggest to start from basic equations like F=ma, F = GMm/R[itex]^{2}[/itex] and centripetal acc = mv[itex]^{2}[/itex]/R to derive the required equation for the speed v rather from attempting to remember the formula for v.
Also I would have written v=√GMe/R, as v=√(GMe/R,).

Thank you!

Related to Universal gravitation 8- determine the speed of a satellite

1. What is universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation is a fundamental force of nature that explains the attraction between all objects in the universe. It is also known as the law of gravitation and was first described by Sir Isaac Newton.

2. How is the speed of a satellite determined?

The speed of a satellite is determined by its distance from the center of the object it is orbiting and the strength of the gravitational force between them. This speed is known as the orbital velocity and can be calculated using the formula v = √(GM/r), where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the object being orbited, and r is the distance between the two objects.

3. Why is the speed of a satellite important?

The speed of a satellite is important because it determines the shape and stability of its orbit. If the speed is too slow, the satellite will fall back to the object it is orbiting. If the speed is too fast, the satellite will escape the gravitational pull and fly away.

4. How does the speed of a satellite affect its orbit?

The speed of a satellite affects its orbit by influencing its distance from the object it is orbiting. A faster speed will result in a larger orbit, while a slower speed will result in a smaller orbit. Additionally, the speed also affects the shape of the orbit, with a higher speed leading to a more elliptical orbit.

5. Can the speed of a satellite change?

Yes, the speed of a satellite can change due to external forces such as atmospheric drag or gravitational pull from other objects. However, a satellite in a stable orbit will maintain a relatively constant speed, as long as there are no significant changes in its environment.