Universal gravitation 7- determine the gravitational force of attraction

In summary, Michael and Elaine have masses of 75.0 kg and 55.0 kg respectively and are 2.50 m apart in their Physics class. The gravitational force of attraction between them can be calculated using the equations relevant to universal gravitation, with a final result of F=4.4022x10-8N. The question poster is seeking verification for their work and appreciates any corrections or feedback.
dani123

Homework Statement

Michael has a mass of 75.0 kg and Elaine has a mass of 55.0 kg. If Michael and Elaine are 2.50 m apart from each other as they sit in their Physics class, determine the gravitational force of attraction between them.

Homework Equations

I have made a list of equations that are relevant for this entire module on universal gravitation. So although there are many of them does not mean that they all apply in this circumstance. The ones relevant to this question will be placed in bold.

Kepler's 3rd law: (Ta/Tb)2=(Ra/Rb)3

motion of planets must conform to circular motion equation: Fc=4∏2mR/T2

From Kepler's 3rd law: R3/T2=K or T2=R3/K

Gravitational force of attraction between the sun and its orbiting planets: F=(4∏2Ks)*m/R2=Gmsm/R2

Gravitational force of attraction between the Earth and its orbiting satelittes: F=(4∏2Ke)m/R2=Gmem/R2

Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation: F=Gm1m2/d2

value of universal gravitation constant is: G=6.67x10-11N*m2/kg2

weight of object on or near Earth: weight=Fg=mog, where g=9.8 N/kg
Fg=Gmome/Re2

g=Gme/(Re)2

determine the mass of the Earth: me=g(Re)2/G

speed of satellite as it orbits the Earth: v=√GMe/R, where R=Re+h

period of the Earth-orbiting satellite: T=2∏√R3/GMe

Field strength in units N/kg: g=F/m

Determine mass of planet when given orbital period and mean orbital radius: Mp=4∏2Rp3/GTp2

The Attempt at a Solution

So we know the following
m1=75kg
m2=55 kg
d=2.5 m
G=6.67x10-11 N*m2/kg2
F=?

So with the equation highlighted above I solved for F=4.4022x10-8N

I would love for someone to verify my work done on this problem and let me know if i made any mistakes and point them out to me, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work is correct, again.

PS : You don't need to post all obviously simple questions to verify. Be confident that you've done 'em right! :wink:

thanks! I just feel better knowing that I am doing it right, taking physics through correspondence isn't always easy haha

Related to Universal gravitation 7- determine the gravitational force of attraction

1. What is universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation is a fundamental physical law that states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is the gravitational force of attraction determined?

The gravitational force of attraction between two objects can be determined by the product of their masses divided by the square of the distance between them multiplied by the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2).

3. Does universal gravitation apply to all objects in the universe?

Yes, universal gravitation applies to all objects with mass, regardless of their size or distance from each other. This includes planets, stars, and even everyday objects on Earth.

4. How does distance affect the gravitational force of attraction?

The gravitational force of attraction between two objects decreases as the distance between them increases. This is known as the inverse-square law, meaning that the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects.

5. What is the significance of universal gravitation in our understanding of the universe?

Universal gravitation is a crucial concept in our understanding of the physical laws that govern the behavior of objects in the universe. It helps explain the motions of planets, stars, and galaxies, and plays a key role in fields such as astronomy, physics, and engineering.