Universal gravitation 6-determine strength of gravitational field

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the strength of gravitational field near the surface of the moon by using relevant equations such as Kepler's 3rd law, Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation, and the value of the universal gravitation constant. The final answer is found to be 1.54 N/kg.
dani123

Homework Statement

The moon has a mass of approximately 7.34x1022kg and a radius of about 1785 km. Determine the strength of the gravitational field on or near the surface of the moon.

Homework Equations

I have made a list of equations that are relevant for this entire module on universal gravitation. So although there are many of them does not mean that they all apply in this circumstance. The ones relevant to this question will be placed in bold.

Kepler's 3rd law: (Ta/Tb)2=(Ra/Rb)3

motion of planets must conform to circular motion equation: Fc=4∏2mR/T2

From Kepler's 3rd law: R3/T2=K or T2=R3/K

Gravitational force of attraction between the sun and its orbiting planets: F=(4∏2Ks)*m/R2=Gmsm/R2

Gravitational force of attraction between the Earth and its orbiting satelittes: F=(4∏2Ke)m/R2=Gmem/R2

Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation: F=Gm1m2/d2

value of universal gravitation constant is: G=6.67x10-11N*m2/kg2

weight of object on or near Earth: weight=Fg=mog, where g=9.8 N/kg
Fg=Gmome/Re2

g=Gme/(Re)2

g=Gmp/(Rp)2

determine the mass of the Earth: me=g(Re)2/G

speed of satellite as it orbits the Earth: v=√GMe/R, where R=Re+h

period of the Earth-orbiting satellite: T=2∏√R3/GMe

Field strength in units N/kg: g=F/m

Determine mass of planet when given orbital period and mean orbital radius: Mp=4∏2Rp3/GTp2

The Attempt at a Solution

So for this one I did the following,

mmoon=7.34x1022kg
Rmoon=1785km=1785000m
G=6.67x10-11N*m2/kg2
g=?

So I used the equation highlighted above to determine the value of g and found g=1.54N/kg

If someone could please verify my answer and let me know if I went wrong anywhere that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much for your time and help:)

Physics news on Phys.org
It is correct. But I would have started from basic equations like g = F/m & F = GMm/R[itex]^{2}[/itex] and derived g = GM/R[itex]^{2}[/itex].

Hi dani123!

Your working is correct. :smile:Edit : I see grzz beat me by a few seconds...

Its not a matter of who replied first because both of your replies are extremely appreciated! Thank you!

Your approach to solving this problem is correct. You correctly identified the relevant equations and used the appropriate values to calculate the strength of the gravitational field on the surface of the moon. Your answer of 1.54N/kg is also correct. Good job!

Related to Universal gravitation 6-determine strength of gravitational field

1. What is universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction between any two objects with mass. It is responsible for the motion of planets in the solar system, as well as the movement of objects on Earth.

2. How is the strength of gravitational field determined?

The strength of gravitational field is determined by the mass of the object creating the field and the distance from the object. The greater the mass and the smaller the distance, the stronger the gravitational field will be.

3. What is the formula for calculating gravitational field strength?

The formula for calculating gravitational field strength is F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force of gravitational attraction, G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

4. How is the gravitational field strength related to the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity, denoted by g, is a measure of the strength of the gravitational field. It is directly proportional to the strength of the gravitational field, meaning that as the field gets stronger, the acceleration due to gravity also increases.

5. How did Isaac Newton contribute to our understanding of universal gravitation?

Isaac Newton's law of universal gravitation states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law laid the foundation for our understanding of universal gravitation and continues to be used today in various scientific fields.