Units of Wave function (Schrodinger equation)

In summary: However, in the problem you are given, the angle is fixed and only the radius is varied, so the wave function ##\psi(r,\theta,\phi)## only depends on radius. Hence, the probability density can be written as$$P(r,\theta,\phi) = \frac{1}{L^3}[R(r)+\Theta(\theta)+\Phi(\phi)]$$In summary, the unit of R(r) is L.
Avatrin
Hi

I thought I knew the answer to this question until I encountered the following question:

What is the unit of R(r)?

We are of course talking about the radial part of the solution to Schrodinger's equation in spherical coordinates (i.e. [itex]\psi(r,\theta,\phi) = R(r)\Theta(\theta)\Phi(\phi)[/itex]).

I tried to look at the integral needed for normalization and just got more confused:

[itex]\int R(r)r^2 dr \int\Theta(\theta)sin\theta d\theta \int \Phi(\phi) d\phi = 1[/itex]

How should I approach problems like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Avatrin said:
What is the unit of R(r)?

We are of course talking about the radial part of the solution to Schrodinger's equation in spherical coordinates (i.e. [itex]\psi(r,\theta,\phi) = R(r)\Theta(\theta)\Phi(\phi)[/itex]).

I tried to look at the integral needed for normalization and just got more confused:

[itex]\int R(r)r^2 dr \int\Theta(\theta)sin\theta d\theta \int \Phi(\phi) d\phi = 1[/itex]

How should I approach problems like this?
Well, "1" is dimensionless. Angles are dimensionless. "r" has dimensions of length (which I'll write as 'L').

Your normalization integral looks wrong. Maybe you meant (in cartesian coordinates) something like:
$$ \int \psi^*(x) \psi(x) d^3 x ~=~ 1 ~~~?$$(You only seem to have ##\psi## in your integral.)

##x## has dimensions L, so ##d^3 x## has dimensions ##L^3##. The whole integral must be dimensionless to match the right hand side, hence ##\psi(x)## must have dimensions ##L^{-3/2}##. Usually, the angular factors in the wavefunction would be dimensionless, so that should be enough to tell you the dimensions of the radial part -- if you write the spherical polar version of the integral correctly... :oldwink:

Yes, my integral is indeed wrong...

[itex] \int |R(r)|^2 r^2 dr \int |\Theta(\theta)|^2 sin\theta d\theta \int |\Phi (\phi)|^2 d\phi = 1[/itex]

However, the angles being dimensionless, while it makes sense; How, when the potential is not a function of only the radius, do you indicate that the probability density varies with the angle? This is the part that was confusing me the most. Of course, if we try to use some angular unit like the unit of distance, we encounter the problem [itex] \psi(r,\theta,\phi) = \psi(r,\theta + 2\pi,\phi + 2\pi)[/itex]

It's good practice to make the wave functions in a separation ansatz of their natural dimension as a probability-density amplitude, depending on the nature of the argument. In your case of separation in spherical coordinates thus, I'd choose to normalize them separately to unity, because then by integrating over one or two of the three coordinates you get directly probability densities for the other variables, i.e., the dimensions should be
$$[R]=\text{length}^{-3/2}, \quad [\Theta]=[\Phi]=1.$$

Avatrin said:
How, when the potential is not a function of only the radius, do you indicate that the probability density varies with the angle? This is the part that was confusing me the most.
I don't understand where the confusion lies. The wave function ##\psi## involves the factors ##\Theta(\theta)\Phi(\phi)##, hence clearly depends on angle in general.

Related to Units of Wave function (Schrodinger equation)

1. What is a wave function in the context of the Schrodinger equation?

A wave function, denoted by the symbol Ψ, is a mathematical function that describes the quantum state of a particle. It contains information about the position, momentum, and energy of the particle, and can be used to predict the probability of finding the particle in a particular state.

2. How are units of wave function expressed?

The units of wave function depend on the type of particle being described and the coordinate system being used. In the SI system, the units for position (x) are meters (m) and the units for the wave function (Ψ) are meters^-1/2. In other coordinate systems, such as spherical or cylindrical coordinates, the units may be different.

3. What is the significance of the units of wave function?

The units of wave function are important because they help us understand the physical meaning of the wave function. They also allow us to properly manipulate and interpret the equations of quantum mechanics.

4. Can the units of wave function be converted to other units?

Yes, the units of wave function can be converted to other units as long as the conversion is consistent with the units of position (x). For example, if the position units are in meters (m), the wave function units can be converted to meters^-1/2, centimeters^-1/2, or any other unit that is equivalent to meters^-1/2.

5. Are there any physical limitations to the units of wave function?

There are no physical limitations to the units of wave function. The units can take on any value as long as they are consistent with the units of position (x). However, the actual values of the wave function may be limited by the physical properties of the system being described.