Units of slope in a tension vs θ (theta) graph

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of natural logs in finding slope on a semi-log graph paper in a physics lab. The natural logs of the y coordinates are used to find rise, and the resulting slope has no units as it is a dimensionless value divided by radians. Radians are not considered a unit in this case.
seanmyers23

Homework Statement

In a physics lab we were finding slope on semi-log graph paper, with the y (up) axis representing tension in Newtons, and the x (sideways) axis representing θ in radians. Sadly, the prof introduced the new concept of natural logs to me - I'd never heard of these until this day. He told us to use the natural logs of the y coordinates to find rise, and I have next to know idea what this means, other than pushing the ln button prior to inputting a number in my calculator. What I'm trying to find is not only how to do the natural logs, but also what unit my answer for slope will be in. Any help would be appreciated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If rise/run = y2 - y1/ x2 - x1, my equation looked like this: 5.00N - 9.67N/ 13∏/4 - 5∏4. This seems like complete nonsense to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
seanmyers23 said:

Homework Statement

In a physics lab we were finding slope on semi-log graph paper, with the y (up) axis representing tension in Newtons, and the x (sideways) axis representing θ in radians. Sadly, the prof introduced the new concept of natural logs to me - I'd never heard of these until this day. He told us to use the natural logs of the y coordinates to find rise, and I have next to know idea what this means, other than pushing the ln button prior to inputting a number in my calculator. What I'm trying to find is not only how to do the natural logs, but also what unit my answer for slope will be in. Any help would be appreciated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If rise/run = y2 - y1/ x2 - x1, my equation looked like this: 5.00N - 9.67N/ 13∏/4 - 5∏4. This seems like complete nonsense to me.

Natural logs are just logarithms to the base e =2.718 rather than 10. The natural log of a number is just the power that you have to raise 2.718 to in order to get the number. Just like logs to the base 10, logs to the base e are such that ln(AB) = ln(A) + ln(B). In your problem, if T is the tension, and you are evaluating he slope over the θ interval from T1 to T2, the slope on this "semilog" plot is given by:

slope = ( ln(T2) - ln(T1) )/(θ2 - θ1)

but ln(T2) - ln(T1) = ln(T2/T1)

so, slope = ln(T2/T1)/(θ2 - θ1)

The units of the ratio T2/T1 are dimensionless, and, for small tension changes, ln (T2/T1) can be interpreted is the fractional change in the tension form θ1 to θ2.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, that did help a bit, but I'm still concerned about having a dimensionless value divided by radians...in this case, our slope is supposed to represent μ, which from my understanding does not have any units. So does this mean that radians isn't really a unit either?

seanmyers23 said:
Thanks, that did help a bit, but I'm still concerned about having a dimensionless value divided by radians...in this case, our slope is supposed to represent μ, which from my understanding does not have any units. So does this mean that radians isn't really a unit either?

Yes.

Great, thanks a lot.

Related to Units of slope in a tension vs θ (theta) graph

1. What are the units of slope in a tension vs θ (theta) graph?

The units of slope in a tension vs θ (theta) graph are typically represented as N/m (newtons per meter) or lb/ft (pounds per foot). These units represent the change in tension per unit change in θ (theta).

2. How is slope calculated in a tension vs θ (theta) graph?

Slope is calculated by taking the change in y (tension) divided by the change in x (θ or theta). This gives the rate of change of tension with respect to θ, which is the slope of the graph.

3. What does the slope represent in a tension vs θ (theta) graph?

The slope in a tension vs θ (theta) graph represents the rate of change of tension with respect to θ. This means that for every change in θ, there is a corresponding change in tension according to the slope.

4. How does the slope affect the shape of a tension vs θ (theta) graph?

The slope affects the shape of the tension vs θ (theta) graph by determining the steepness or slope of the line. A steeper slope indicates a greater change in tension for a given change in θ, while a flatter slope indicates a smaller change in tension for a given change in θ.

5. Can the units of slope in a tension vs θ (theta) graph change?

Yes, the units of slope in a tension vs θ (theta) graph can change depending on the units used for tension and θ. For example, if tension is measured in pounds and θ is measured in degrees, the units of slope would be lb/degree. However, the concept of slope remains the same regardless of the units used.