Units of capacity for the manufacture of flexo printing plates

In summary, the engineer who wants to find out the capacity of American flexographic factories should join the Flexographic Technical Association and ask for the information.
nomadreid
Gold Member
I am not sure that this is the right place to post this question, so I will be happy to let any moderator move it. (I would be less happy to find out that the question has no place in PF, but I would accept it.)
I have been asked to make a list of American manufacturers of plates for flexographic printing, along with the capacity of each one. The "one" is ambiguous (manufacturer or plate), but since the person who requires this list suggests that capacity is in square meters per year, I infer that she is thinking of the capacity of production, not the capacity of an individual plate. But said person is an engineer not well versed in this area, so I have been looking for the dimensions (units) used to correctly characterize the capacity of a factory, without success. (How to find out this number is another chapter, but if I can't even specify the units of the quantity I am asking about, I would never get to that chapter.)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe the External Links at the bottom of the Wikipedia article might be useful? (Especially the "Flexographic Technical Association" link at the end)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexography

It almost seems like you would need to find a study that's been done on the capacity -- sometimes you see marketing groups that put out such whitepapers as part of the planning process for future production and investment...

Likes nomadreid
@berkeman is right. You typically get that kind of information by hiring a market research firm, not asking engineers or scientists.

Likes nomadreid
The Flexographic Technical Association has all the information you are looking for. Join them, then your membership entitles you to ask for the information you want. These type of technical associations do many types of marketing surveys and share the results with their members.

Side note: I once headed a team that built a wide web high speed flexo printer. It has been, and still is, a successful product.

Likes anorlunda, nomadreid and berkeman
Thanks for the helpful replies, berkeman, anorlunda and jrmichler. Yes, I had come across the FTA (one of the two external links in Wikipedia – I will also try the other one), and wrote them my question. But it is clear that as I am not a member they are unlikely willing to wish to answer, so, yes, joining is an excellent option, although I should pass this option (and the membership fees) on to the engineer who wants all this data. I will definitely suggest it. True, the engineer should hire a market research firm instead of giving the task to a secretary, but…., so I anyway, although my fear expressed in the original post that this is perhaps not the best venue for the question seems to have been borne out, the suggestions are nonetheless useful.

Likes berkeman
Update: I ended up submitting data on the general size of the firm, along with the contact information for the firm so that the engineer requesting the data can ask each individual firm, or join the FTA himself, or both. For the general size of the firm, I ended up using the three parameters:
Single location or multiple locations
number of employees (approx)
profit last year (approx)
The first parameter can be gleaned from the website (e.g., "contact"), whereas the next two are found in the website "Owler".

Likes berkeman
nomadreid said:
For the general size of the firm, I ended up using the three parameters:
It sounds like you taught yourself the methods of market researchers. :thumbup:

Likes nomadreid
anorlunda said:
It sounds like you taught yourself the methods of market researchers.
:woot:

Related to Units of capacity for the manufacture of flexo printing plates

1. What are the commonly used units of capacity for the manufacture of flexo printing plates?

The most commonly used units of capacity for the manufacture of flexo printing plates are square meters (m²) and square feet (ft²). These units measure the total surface area of the printing plate.

2. How are units of capacity for flexo printing plates different from other printing methods?

Unlike other printing methods, flexo printing plates have a unique capacity measurement due to their flexible nature. The units of capacity for flexo printing plates take into account the surface area that can be used for printing, rather than just the total size of the plate.

3. Can units of capacity for flexo printing plates be converted to other units of measurement?

Yes, units of capacity for flexo printing plates can be converted to other units of measurement such as square centimeters (cm²) or square inches (in²). This can be done by using conversion formulas or online unit converters.

4. How are the units of capacity for flexo printing plates calculated?

The units of capacity for flexo printing plates are calculated by multiplying the length and width of the printing plate in the chosen unit of measurement. For example, if a printing plate has a length of 50 cm and a width of 30 cm, the capacity would be 1,500 cm².

5. Are there any industry standards for units of capacity for flexo printing plates?

Yes, there are industry standards for units of capacity for flexo printing plates, such as ISO 12647-6. These standards ensure that the measurements are consistent and accurate for the manufacturing and use of flexo printing plates.