Unit vectors in different coordinates

In summary, The speaker discusses the process of converting points, equations, and vectors from one coordinate system to another. For points and equations, the derived equations are used for conversion. However, for vectors, the unit vectors must be converted into their equivalents in the desired coordinate system and cannot be represented as points. The speaker also addresses converting from cartesian to cylindrical or spherical coordinates, using the dot product to find the components in each coordinate system. They also mention an inconsistency in the derivatives found on Wikipedia. Lastly, the speaker mentions a resource for further information on converting unit vectors between cylindrical and spherical coordinates.
JasonHathaway
Hi everyone,

I've some points I want to make sure of.

1- When converting a "POINT" from a coordinate system to another, I'll just use the derived equation to convert (e.g. (1,2,3) from cartestian to cylindrical: [itex] \rho=\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}, \phi=tan^{-1}\frac{y}{x}, z=z [/itex]
2- When converting an "EQUATION" (e.g. [itex] \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}=\frac{x^{2}y}{y^{2}x} [/itex]), I'll use the same approach as 1.
3- When converting a "VECTOR" (e.g. [itex] 4\vec{i}+3\vec{j}+6\vec{k} [/itex]), I must convert the unit vector [itex]\vec{i}, \vec{j},\vec{k} [/itex] into their equivalent in my desired coordinate system, whether that vector is A unit vector or not, and I cannot put in the form of a point (e.g. (4,3,6) ) and use the same approach as 1.Okay, and for 3:
a) To convert from cartesian to cylindrical:
Since [itex]x=\rho cos(\phi), y=\rho sin(\phi), z=z [/itex], then:
[itex]\frac{dx}{d \rho}=cos(\phi),\frac{dx}{d \phi}=-\rho sin(\phi), \frac{dx}{dz}=0 [/itex]
[itex]\frac{dy}{d \rho}=sin(\phi),\frac{dy}{d \phi}=\rho cos(\phi), \frac{dy}{dz}=0 [/itex]
[itex]\frac{dz}{d \rho}=0,\frac{dz}{d \phi}=0, \frac{dz}{dz}=1 [/itex]

And then dot product my vector with each of rho, phi and z components.

But I've found in wikipedia that there's no rho in the derivative with respect to phi...?
53b51b40e41bc1e714223d0eda4d5773.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_fields_in_cylindrical_and_spherical_coordinates

The same thing for the cartesian to spherical.

b) If I want to convert a vector from cylindrical/spherical to cartesian, do I have to take the same approach as a)?

c) How can I convert unit vectors between cylindrical and spherical and vice versa?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
http://home.comcast.net/~szemengtan/ClassicalMechanics/SingleParticle.pdf
... section 1.4

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Unit vectors in different coordinates

1. What are unit vectors in different coordinates?

Unit vectors in different coordinates are vectors that have a magnitude of 1 and are used to define a specific direction in a coordinate system. They are often represented by the symbols i, j, and k in Cartesian coordinates, and can be written as (1, 0, 0), (0, 1, 0), and (0, 0, 1) respectively.

2. How do you find unit vectors in different coordinate systems?

To find unit vectors in a different coordinate system, you can use the process of normalization. This involves dividing each component of the vector by its magnitude, resulting in a vector with a magnitude of 1. Alternatively, you can use trigonometric functions to calculate the components of the unit vector.

3. Why are unit vectors important in different coordinate systems?

Unit vectors are important in different coordinate systems because they provide a standard way to define direction and orientation. They are also used in many mathematical and physical applications, such as calculating forces, velocities, and accelerations.

4. Can unit vectors change in different coordinate systems?

Yes, unit vectors can change in different coordinate systems. This is because their direction and orientation are dependent on the axes of the coordinate system. However, their magnitude will always remain 1, regardless of the coordinate system.

5. How are unit vectors related to basis vectors?

Unit vectors are often referred to as basis vectors because they form the basis of a coordinate system. In other words, they are used to define the axes of the coordinate system and provide a way to measure and describe the position of vectors within that system.