Unit vector perpendicular to two known vectors

In summary, to find a unit vector perpendicular to both vectors a = 4i + 2j - 3k and b = 2i - 3j + k, the easiest way is to take the cross product of a and b and adjust the vector to have a magnitude of 1. This yields the vector (1/9\sqrt{5})(7i + 10j + 16k).
cjwalle

Homework Statement

Find a unit vector which is perpendicular to both of the vectors a = 4i + 2j - 3k and b = 2i - 3j + k

c = xi + yj + zk

Homework Equations

a[tex]\bot[/tex]c [tex]\longrightarrow[/tex] a [tex]\bullet[/tex] c

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, here's what I've done so far.

Take the dot-product of a and c, and b and c
a [tex]\bullet[/tex]b: 4x + 2y -3z = 0
b [tex]\bullet[/tex]b: 2x - 3y + z = 0

(1) 4x + 2y -3z = 0
(2) 2x - 3y + z = 0

I isolate z and get rid of x by multiplying (1) with -2 and (2) with 4, then add them:
(1) -8x -4y = -6z
+
(2) 8x -12y = 5z

-16y = 10z

y/z = 10/16

Which again means that:
y = 10m
z = 16m
where m is a constant and [tex]\neq[/tex] 0

And then I insert this into (1) to find x:
4x + 2(10m) - 3(16m) = 0
4x + 20m - 48m = 0
x = 7m

c = m(7i + 10j + 16k)

For the easiest possible solution, m = 1.
c = 7i + 10j + 16k
As far as I can tell, this is a perfectly valid answer.

However, the answer key has the answer:
(1/9[tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex])(7i + 10j + 16k)

While this does not contradict my solution, that is a far too weird m to have been chosen randomly. Does anyone see how they were thinking?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The question asked for a unit vector ie a vector with magnitude of 1. Hence m must be chosen so that the magnitude of the vector is one.
Also, there is a much much easier way of solving the problem. The cross product of two vectors yields a third vector that is perpendicular to both original vectors. In this case, simply take the cross product with a with b, and adjust to obtain a unit vector.

Fightfish said:
The question asked for a unit vector ie a vector with magnitude of 1. Hence m must be chosen so that the magnitude of the vector is one.
Also, there is a much much easier way of solving the problem. The cross product of two vectors yields a third vector that is perpendicular to both original vectors. In this case, simply take the cross product with a with b, and adjust to obtain a unit vector.

*facepalm*

Yes, of course.

And this exercise is from the sub-chapter before cross products, so I figured I'd try to do it the way they wanted me to do it.

Thanks a lot :)

Edit: Just to complete the solution:

| c | = [tex]\sqrt{7^{2} + 10^{2} + 16^{2}}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{405}[/tex]
= [tex]\sqrt{81}[/tex][tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex] = 9[tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex]

Thus m = 1/ 9[tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Unit vector perpendicular to two known vectors

1. What is a unit vector perpendicular to two known vectors?

A unit vector perpendicular to two known vectors is a vector that is perpendicular (at a 90 degree angle) to both of the given vectors and has a magnitude of 1.

2. How do you find the unit vector perpendicular to two known vectors?

To find the unit vector perpendicular to two known vectors, you can use the cross product formula. First, find the cross product of the two given vectors. Then, divide the result by the magnitude of the cross product to get the unit vector.

3. Why is it important to find the unit vector perpendicular to two known vectors?

Finding the unit vector perpendicular to two known vectors is important because it can be used to find the direction of a force or velocity in a given system. It is also used in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as in physics and engineering problems.

4. Can there be more than one unit vector perpendicular to two known vectors?

Yes, there can be more than one unit vector perpendicular to two known vectors. This is because there are an infinite number of vectors that are perpendicular to a given vector, so there can be multiple unit vectors that are perpendicular to two given vectors.

5. How do you check if a vector is perpendicular to two known vectors?

To check if a vector is perpendicular to two known vectors, you can use the dot product formula. Take the dot product of the given vector and each of the two known vectors. If the result is 0, then the vector is perpendicular to both of the known vectors.