Unit vector in cylindrical coordinates

In summary, to find the perpendicular unit vector of two vectors in cylindrical coordinates, you can use the cross product without converting to cartesian coordinates. Explicit formulas can be found online or derived by substituting the cylindrical coordinates into the expression for the cross product in cartesian coordinates.
JasonHathaway
Hi everyone,

I've two vectors in cylindrical coordinate - [itex](-1,\frac{3\pi}{2},0),(2,\pi,1)[/itex] - and I want to find the perpendicular unit vector of these two vector.

Basically I'll use the cross product, then I'll find the unit vector by [itex]\hat{u}=\frac{\vec{u}}{||\vec{u}||}[/itex].

But do you I have to convert the vector to the cartesian coordinates?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can perform the cross product directly in cylindrical coordinates. Explicit formulas can be found easily in the web (I believe), or you can derive the formulas by yourself: Simply write down the relations that express the cartesian coordinates in term of the cylindrical coordinates, and then substitute the cylindrical coordinates in the expression of the cross product in cartesian coordinates.

Related to Unit vector in cylindrical coordinates

1. What is a unit vector in cylindrical coordinates?

A unit vector in cylindrical coordinates is a vector with a magnitude of 1, expressed in terms of the cylindrical coordinate system's parameters: radius (ρ), azimuthal angle (φ), and height (z). It is used to represent a direction in three-dimensional space.

2. How is a unit vector in cylindrical coordinates calculated?

A unit vector in cylindrical coordinates can be calculated by dividing each component of the vector by its magnitude. In cylindrical coordinates, the magnitude of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components (ρ, φ, and z).

3. What is the relationship between a unit vector in cylindrical coordinates and a vector in rectangular coordinates?

A unit vector in cylindrical coordinates can be converted into a vector in rectangular coordinates by using the following equations: x = ρ * cos(φ)y = ρ * sin(φ)z = z

4. Why is a unit vector in cylindrical coordinates useful in physics and engineering?

A unit vector in cylindrical coordinates is useful because it allows for a more intuitive representation of directions in three-dimensional space. It is especially helpful in physics and engineering applications where cylindrical coordinates are commonly used, such as in fluid dynamics and electromagnetics.

5. Can a unit vector in cylindrical coordinates have negative components?

Yes, a unit vector in cylindrical coordinates can have negative components. This means that the direction it represents is in the opposite direction of the positive axis. For example, a unit vector with a negative ρ component would point in the opposite direction of the positive ρ axis.