Unit of Measure of Exponentiated Item

In summary: But your conceptual definition only makes sense for integer exponents. You have to introduce more advanced concepts like the idea of a limit to deal with the more general case anyway, am I right?Mine is a simple, starting definition, true, but it extends, without too much imagination, to non-integers. And, as far as the original question goes, it establishes a logical reason why the index is dimensionless. The logic doesn't change.
Steve Zissou
Hello.
Let's say we have the quantity
f=1/(1+x)
where x has no unit of measure. What is the unit of measure of f, once we take f^t, where t can be in years?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hello Steve! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Still no units. :smile:

(ft = etlnf = ∑(tlnf)n/n!)

Hi tiny-tim. Thanks for the reply.
Just a quick thought, if we say
f^t=exp[t ln f]
then we still have that t is years, and exp[time] can't be ok.
Am I right?
Thanks for your help

ah, it would have to be ft/to :wink:

It's not valid to take f^t, with t in years. If f is dimensionless, the exponent has to also be a dimensionless number.

Khashishi said:
It's not valid to take f^t, with t in years. If f is dimensionless, the exponent has to also be a dimensionless number.

Thanks Khashishi.
Can I ask, if the exponent is not dimensionless (as tiny-tim suggested above, by saying it should be t/t0) then does it mean that f must have units that I didn't know about or expect?

Rather, let me ask this: what units would f have, if the exponent has units of time?

Thanks guys

Let's generalize. We have the quantity f. Let's say f is distance, so it is in units of meters.
Taking f^2 would give square meters.
Buy let's take it to an exponent that has units, like time.
f^t is now in what units?

the t in that equation should be dimensionless. So, either simply call it the "number" of seconds (or minutes, or years, whatever) or raise f to something like:

f^(t/[1 sec]) to yield a dimensionless number in the exponent.

Good thread here:

Travis_King

Thanks

Usually, you have a time expression like:
[itex]Y=A \exp(-t/\tau)[/itex]
where tau is a time constant with the same units as t, so the argument to exp is dimensionless.

Mathematically, you can absorb the time constant into the base of the exponent since
[itex]A \exp(-t/\tau) = \exp(1/\tau)^{-t} = f^{-t}[/itex]
[itex]f=\exp(1/\tau)[/itex]
So, f needs to have units of [itex]\exp(1/years)[/itex] to match up with t in years. No one in their right mind would do something like this, but it makes mathematical sense.

There's no reason to expect that you can use a quantity as an exponent. After all, you only need to say, in words, what "the exponent" means. It means the number of times that a number is multiplied by itself and it would be daft to say "Mutiply 3 by itself five point three inches times". Go back to basics for the answers to this sort of question.

sophiecentaur said:
It means the number of times that a number is multiplied by itself

This is only one definition, and rather elementary and limited. A lot of natural phenomena exhibit exponential growth or decay. It's probably better to view an exponential as a function whose derivative is proportional to itself.

Khashishi said:
This is only one definition, and rather elementary and limited. A lot of natural phenomena exhibit exponential growth or decay. It's probably better to view an exponential as a function whose derivative is proportional to itself.

I disagree entirely (and most humbly:wink:). Exponential growth is exactly what happens when a fractional increase is repeated a number of times.
Your more sophisticated version is very useful but it's only describing a consequence of the process.

Last edited:
the best way to view exponential (natural) growth/decay is to say 'rate of change is proportional to how much you have got'...this is where I start with students and they seem to be able to relate it to money and savings and interest rates as well as physical phenomena such as radioactive decay
i.e dA/dt = +/-constant x A

This is exactly the same as saying that you get the same fractional increase or decrease
per unit time.

The exponent does not have units/dimensions.
It is the powerthat a number (e) is raised to... just a number.
In the same way a log has no units/dimensions... it is just a number

sophiecentaur said:
I disagree entirely (and most humbly:wink:). Exponential growth is exactly what happens when a fractional increase is repeated a number of times.
Your more sophisticated version is very useful but it's only describing a consequence of the process.

But your conceptual definition only makes sense for integer exponents. You have to introduce more advanced concepts like the idea of a limit to deal with the more general case anyway, am I right?

Mine is a simple, starting definition, true, but it extends, without too much imagination, to non-integers. And, as far as the original question goes, it establishes a logical reason why the index is dimensionless. The logic doesn't change.

Related to Unit of Measure of Exponentiated Item

What is the "Unit of Measure of Exponentiated Item"?

The "Unit of Measure of Exponentiated Item" refers to the standard unit used to measure the value of an exponentiated item. It is a unit that is used to express the quantity of a particular item that has been raised to a certain power, or exponent.

Why is it important to have a standard unit of measure for exponentiated items?

Having a standard unit of measure for exponentiated items is important for consistency and accuracy in scientific measurements. It allows for easier comparison of data and ensures that results are replicable by other scientists.

How is the "Unit of Measure of Exponentiated Item" determined?

The "Unit of Measure of Exponentiated Item" is determined by the type of item being measured and the exponent being applied. For example, if the item is length and the exponent is 2 (to represent area), the unit of measure would be square units (such as square meters or square inches).

Can the "Unit of Measure of Exponentiated Item" change for different experiments?

Yes, the "Unit of Measure of Exponentiated Item" can change for different experiments depending on the type of item being measured and the exponent being applied. It is important to carefully consider and specify the unit of measure for each experiment to ensure accurate and consistent results.

How can using the incorrect unit of measure affect the results of an experiment?

Using the incorrect unit of measure for an exponentiated item can greatly affect the results of an experiment. It can lead to inaccurate data and make it difficult to compare results with other experiments. It can also make it challenging to replicate the experiment and can potentially lead to incorrect conclusions.