Unit Conversion: Astronomical Units, Parsecs and Light Years

In summary, The '1s' above is 1 arc second, an angle. Remember that degrees are divided up into 60 arcminutes, which are in turn divided into 60 arcseconds.1 parsec = 206264.984626 au
iwantpi
Hi everyone,
It's been years since I solved a physics problem for school. Now that I'm back at it I could use some help on this problem:

Question

"The astonomical unit (AU) is defined as the mean centre to centre distance from Earth to the Sun, namely 1.496 x 10^11 m. The parsec is the radius of a circle for which a central angle of 1s intercepts an arc of length 1AU. The light year is the distance that light travels in 1 year. (a) How many parsecs are there in one AU?

The attempt at a solution

I can do simple conversions of units, but I'm having trouble figuring out the connection between AUs and parsecs. I know that Arc length = r * angle (in rad) which leaves me with 1 AU = 1 parsec * 1s. But then again s is seconds, not radians...
Another way I attempted the problem was to assume that the arc of a circle whose radian is 1 parsec is so large that I can assume that the arc is a straight line, is that a fair assumption?

I'd really appreciate any corrections or just a hint in the right direction, not the full answer, and then hopefully I can work out the other parts of the problem myself. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
iwantpi said:
Hi everyone,
It's been years since I solved a physics problem for school. Now that I'm back at it I could use some help on this problem:

Question

"The astonomical unit (AU) is defined as the mean centre to centre distance from Earth to the Sun, namely 1.496 x 10^11 m. The parsec is the radius of a circle for which a central angle of 1s intercepts an arc of length 1AU. The light year is the distance that light travels in 1 year. (a) How many parsecs are there in one AU?

The attempt at a solution

I can do simple conversions of units, but I'm having trouble figuring out the connection between AUs and parsecs. I know that Arc length = r * angle (in rad) which leaves me with 1 AU = 1 parsec * 1s. But then again s is seconds, not radians...
Another way I attempted the problem was to assume that the arc of a circle whose radian is 1 parsec is so large that I can assume that the arc is a straight line, is that a fair assumption?

I'd really appreciate any corrections or just a hint in the right direction, not the full answer, and then hopefully I can work out the other parts of the problem myself. Thank you in advance!

Hi iwantpi, Welcome to Physics Forums.

The '1s' above is 1 arc second, an angle. Remember that degrees are divided up into 60 arcminutes, which are in turn divided into 60 arcseconds.

1 parsec = 206264.984626 au
I got it from aconverter.net, which I usually used. hope this help.

Thanks for all the help you two and sorry bout the late reply. I figured it out. It wasn't so hard once you guys told me about the arc second thing. Thanks again.

Hi there,

I can see that you are struggling with the connection between astronomical units (AU) and parsecs. Let me try to clarify it for you.

Firstly, it is important to understand that both AU and parsecs are units of distance used in astronomy. However, they are different in terms of their definitions and the scale at which they are used.

As you mentioned, AU is the mean distance from Earth to the Sun, which is approximately 149.6 million kilometers or 93 million miles. This unit is primarily used to measure distances within our solar system.

On the other hand, parsecs are much larger units of distance used to measure the vast distances between stars and galaxies. One parsec is equivalent to 3.26 light years or 30.86 trillion kilometers.

Now, to answer your question, one AU is equal to 1 parsec * 1 second. This means that if you were to draw a circle with a radius of 1 parsec, the arc length of that circle would be equal to 1 AU if the central angle intercepts an arc of 1 second. This is because 1 parsec is defined as the distance at which an object would have a parallax angle of 1 arcsecond when viewed from two different points in Earth's orbit.

To put it simply, 1 AU is a smaller unit of distance compared to 1 parsec. Therefore, there are many parsecs in one AU. I hope this helps in understanding the relationship between these units. Good luck with your problem!

Related to Unit Conversion: Astronomical Units, Parsecs and Light Years

1. What are astronomical units, parsecs, and light years?

Astronomical units, parsecs, and light years are units of measure used in astronomy to describe distances in space. An astronomical unit (AU) is a unit of length equal to the average distance from the Earth to the Sun, which is approximately 149.6 million kilometers. A parsec is a unit of length equal to 3.26 light years or 3.09 x 10^13 kilometers, and is often used to measure distances to nearby stars and galaxies. A light year (ly) is a unit of length equal to the distance that light travels in one year, which is approximately 9.46 trillion kilometers.

2. How do you convert between astronomical units, parsecs, and light years?

To convert from astronomical units to parsecs, you can use the conversion factor of 1 AU = 0.000004848 parsecs. To convert from parsecs to light years, you can use the conversion factor of 1 parsec = 3.26 light years. To convert from astronomical units to light years, you can use the conversion factor of 1 AU = 0.000015813 light years. Alternatively, you can use online conversion calculators or conversion formulas to make the conversions.

3. Why are these units used in astronomy?

These units are used in astronomy because of the vast distances involved in measuring objects in space. Using units such as kilometers or miles would be impractical, as the numbers would be extremely large and difficult to comprehend. These larger units allow for easier understanding and comparison of distances in space.

4. Can these units be used to measure distances beyond our own galaxy?

Yes, these units can be used to measure distances beyond our own galaxy. However, for larger distances, astronomers often use different units such as megaparsecs (Mpc) or gigalight years (Gly). These units are equal to 1 million parsecs and 1 billion light years, respectively.

5. How were these units originally defined?

The astronomical unit was originally defined by the ancient Greeks as the average distance from Earth to the Sun. The parsec was defined in the early 20th century by astronomer Herbert Hall Turner, based on the parallax method of measuring distances to stars. The light year was first proposed by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in the 17th century to describe the distance that light travels in one year.