Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Unit Circle Problems solve cosW=sin20, sinW=cos(-10), sinW< 0.5 and 1<tanW

Naidely

Oct 11, 2018
Without a calculator, find all solutions w between 0 and 360, inclusive, providing diagrams that support your results.

1) cosW=sin20

2) sinW=cos(-10)

3) sinW< 0.5

4) 1<tanW

Country Boy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 30, 2018
You titled this "unit circle problems". Have you drawn a unit circle? Do you know that, at each (x, y) point on the circle, [tex]x= cos(\theta)[/tex] and [tex]y= sin(\theta)[/tex]? Where is sin(20) on that circle? So for what angle is cos(W)= sin(20)?

Naidely

Oct 11, 2018
yes im aware that y= sin(theta) and x= cos(theta)
and yes I drew my unit circle
so sin20 is in the first quadrant but im not sure how to import images here, if possible
and cos70= sin 20, I figured that out a few days ago, however im stuck on 3 and 4

Country Boy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 30, 2018
Instead of using a unit circle, for 3 and 4, draw the graphs of y= sin(x) and y= tan(x). Compare the graph of y= sin(x) with the graph of y= 1/2 and compare the graph of y= tan(x) with y= 1. You should know that sin(x)= 1/2 for [tex]\pi/6[/tex] radians (30 degrees) and [tex]5\pi/6[/tex] radians (150 degrees) and that tan(x)= 1 for [tex]\pi/4[/tex] radians (45 degrees) and [tex]5\pi/4[/tex] radians (225 degrees). (There is a nice graphing app at https://www.desmos.com/calculator.)