Unit cell dimensions of crystal structure

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the unit cell dimensions of NiAl using the formula dhkl=ao/sqrt(h^2+k^2+l^2). The answer is ao= sqrt(3)*2.34= 4.05A. The formula only applies to cubic structures, and different planes can be used to find the same lattice parameter. However, certain planes may not contribute Bragg peaks in certain lattices. The conversation also mentions the structure factor and suggests looking it up for further understanding.
MightyQuinn11
Hello all,

I already have the answer to my question, but what I would like to know is why. My question is: why in the question below is the plane 111 used to find ao and not another plane?

An ordered compound of NiAl has a cubic structure with one formula unit/cell. One Al atom at the origin and one Ni at 1/2 1/2 1/2. The nine lines of lowest bragg angle on a diffraction pattern have d-spacing of: 4.05, 2.86, 2.34, 2.03, 1.81, 1.65, 1.43, 1.35, 1.28.

QUESTION: Evaluate the unit cell dimensions of NiAl.

the formula to use is: dhkl=ao/sqrt(h^2+k^2+l^2)

The answer is: ao= sqrt(3)*2.34= 4.05A

Thank you for any clarification on this topic.

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula you have comes form the unit cell being cubic. Using that formula you can find the lattice parameter using any of the planes (100, 110, 111, 200, 210, etc). They will all give you the same lattice parameter for the unit cell.

The easiest way would be to use the (100) plane seeing as a0 = sqrt(1)*4.05 = 4.05 A.

Thank you, this is very useful. Now, if it was not cubic would I have to select another plane? Maybe a plane that contains a peak?

If it were not cubic, would you still have the same formula for the d-spacing? If not, what part of it would change?

It comes from the same formula, for orthogonal axes the formula is 1/d^2=h^2/a^2+k^2/b^2+l^2/c^2. Since cubic has a=b=c, b and c are not needed in the formula reducing it to the formula below in my previous post. Now, if it is not orthogonal, the formula changes. I cannot find all of the formulas for the other structures.

I am now thinking the reason they omit certain planes is because they would give the same result? For example, in BCC the planes 100, 010, 001 and 110 give the same d-spacing result? If not, why do they omit the first 3 planes only listing 110?

Correct me if I am wrong and help with any underlying physics that i am not clear enough on. Thank you for any help.

MightyQuinn11 said:
It comes from the same formula, for orthogonal axes the formula is 1/d^2=h^2/a^2+k^2/b^2+l^2/c^2. Since cubic has a=b=c, b and c are not needed in the formula reducing it to the formula below in my previous post. Now, if it is not orthogonal, the formula changes.
Correct.

I am now thinking the reason they omit certain planes is because they would give the same result? For example, in BCC the planes 100, 010, 001 and 110 give the same d-spacing result? If not, why do they omit the first 3 planes only listing 110?
You can check very easily that in a bcc lattice (or most any lattice, for that matter), the (100) planes have a different d-spacing than the (110) planes. There is a different reason that the (100) family of planes do not contribute Bragg peaks in the bcc lattice. Do you know what the structure factor is, and have you calculated it for different lattices? If not, you should look that up.

Related to Unit cell dimensions of crystal structure

1. What is a unit cell?

A unit cell is the smallest repeating unit in a crystal lattice. It represents the basic building block of a crystal structure and contains all the information about the arrangement of atoms in the crystal.

2. How are unit cell dimensions determined?

Unit cell dimensions are determined through a process called X-ray crystallography. This involves passing X-rays through a crystal and measuring the angles and intensities of the diffracted rays, which can then be used to calculate the dimensions of the unit cell.

3. What is the significance of unit cell dimensions?

Unit cell dimensions provide important information about the physical and chemical properties of a crystal. They can help determine the symmetry, density, and mechanical properties of a crystal, which can be useful in various scientific and industrial applications.

4. How do unit cell dimensions vary between different crystal structures?

Unit cell dimensions can vary significantly between different crystal structures. The dimensions depend on the type and arrangement of atoms in the crystal, as well as the conditions under which the crystal was formed.

5. Can unit cell dimensions change over time?

Unit cell dimensions can change over time due to various factors such as temperature, pressure, and external forces. This is known as thermal expansion and can affect the overall structure and properties of a crystal.