Uniqueness of smooth structure

In summary: So, if you have two charts (U, \varphi) and (V, \psi) such that U \cap V \neq \emptyset and \varphi is a diffeomorphism on U \backslash V, then \psi only needs to be homeomorphic on U \backslash V but must be diffeomorphic on U \cap V so that the transition function is smooth.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
How does one prove that the smooth structure on 2-manifolds is unique? Source?

Thx!

Physics news on Phys.org
quasar987 said:
How does one prove that the smooth structure on 2-manifolds is unique? Source?

Thx!

While googling I found an old post on PF that argues along the following lines - and may be in the right direction of a proof - not sure.

Every orientable smooth surface has an atlas of charts that define a conformal structure. With this atlas the manifold is a Riemann surface. There is a famous theorem that states that every simply connected Riemann surface is conformally equivalent (and therefore diffeomorphic) to either a bounded disk, the entire complex plane, or to the standard 2 sphere.

So for a simply connected Riemann surface there is only one differentiable structure.

I think that an arbitrary Riemann surface can be obtained from the simply connected surface by the action of a discrete group of holomorphic covering transformations. perhaps this can be used to get the general result.

Last edited:
I am not sure this works.

Given two Riemann surfaces that are homeomorphic, choose fundamental domains in the unversal cover. These domains are diffeomorphic - by the theorem on conformal equivalence. Choose a diffeomorphism,D, between them.

The two respective groups of covering transformations are isomorphic. Choose an isomorphism,H.

Extend D to the entire covering space by the rule g(x) -> H(g)Dx.

Note that fg(x) -> H(fg)Dx -> H(f)(H(g)Dx).

This should define the diffeomorphism - I think.

I guess the idea is if the universal cover only has 1 differentiable structure then the manifold also only has 1.

Last edited:
It should be noted that it depends on your definition of smooth structure. If you use the definition of smooth structure given in Lee's Introduction to Smooth Manifolds, for instance, there are actually an uncountable number of smooth structures on all manifolds that admit at least one smooth structure of dimension greater than 0.

I am actually still a bit confused on this point myself. I believe it is because, given an atlas on a smooth n-manifold where n>0, if you have a chart [tex](U, \varphi)[/tex] and [tex](V, \psi)[/tex] such that [tex]U \cap V \neq \emptyset[/tex], then [tex]\varphi[/tex] only needs to be homeomorphic on [tex]U \backslash V[/tex] but must be diffeomorphic on [tex]U \cap V[/tex] so that the transition function [tex]\psi \circ \varphi^{-1}[/tex] is smooth. So, given a subset of a chart that does not intersect with any other chart, the coordinate chart does not necessarily need to be a diffeomorphism on that subset, and so you can use this fact to construct an uncountable number of atlases that are not smoothly compatible.

Monocles said:
It should be noted that it depends on your definition of smooth structure. If you use the definition of smooth structure given in Lee's Introduction to Smooth Manifolds, for instance, there are actually an uncountable number of smooth structures on all manifolds that admit at least one smooth structure of dimension greater than 0.

I am actually still a bit confused on this point myself. I believe it is because, given an atlas on a smooth n-manifold where n>0, if you have a chart [tex](U, \varphi)[/tex] and [tex](V, \psi)[/tex] such that [tex]U \cap V \neq \emptyset[/tex], then [tex]\varphi[/tex] only needs to be homeomorphic on [tex]U \backslash V[/tex] but must be diffeomorphic on [tex]U \cap V[/tex] so that the transition function [tex]\psi \circ \varphi^{-1}[/tex] is smooth. So, given a subset of a chart that does not intersect with any other chart, the coordinate chart does not necessarily need to be a diffeomorphism on that subset, and so you can use this fact to construct an uncountable number of atlases that are not smoothly compatible.

I believe that unique smooth structure means unique up to diffeomorphism.

Related to Uniqueness of smooth structure

1. What is the uniqueness of smooth structure?

The uniqueness of smooth structure refers to the fact that for a given smooth manifold, there is only one smooth structure that can be defined on it. This means that any two smooth manifolds that are homeomorphic (topologically equivalent) must also have the same smooth structure.

2. Why is the uniqueness of smooth structure important?

The uniqueness of smooth structure is important because it allows for a consistent and unambiguous definition of smooth manifolds. This makes it easier for mathematicians to study and classify these objects, as well as apply them to various fields such as physics and engineering.

3. How is smooth structure defined?

Smooth structure is defined by a collection of coordinate charts that cover the manifold and are compatible with each other in a smooth way. These charts allow us to define smooth functions and differentiable curves on the manifold, which in turn define the smooth structure.

4. Is there a limit to the complexity of smooth structures?

There is no limit to the complexity of smooth structures, as they can be defined on manifolds of any dimension and can vary in their smoothness. However, for simplicity, mathematicians often work with smooth structures that are only as complex as necessary to describe the desired properties of the manifold.

5. Can smooth structures change?

No, once a smooth structure is defined on a manifold, it cannot be changed. However, it is possible for a manifold to have multiple smooth structures, as long as they are all compatible with each other. This is known as a non-unique smooth structure.