Uniqueness/Gauss Theorem - General Difficulty/Misconceptions?

In summary, the video explains how equating the two conductors with no charge offers the only other case outside of the infinite possibilities of distributing charge on the surface and the varying magnitudes of the charge. The boundary conditions are that the potential is constant for the surface and (/or?) charge in a conductor can be distributed in any manner. Gauss' Theorem is only applicable for some sort of infinite entity. If the wire had finite length the E field would not be only radial.
rbrayana123
I'm hoping this is an appropriate question for this forum since its related to coursework. If not, sorry in advance!

I've been going through Purcell and managed to get through the first two chapters (with unanswered questions here and there but still looking!) but with Chapter 3 (Conductors & Capacitors), I've hit a dead end when it comes to solving ANY problem.

I've tried watching various YouTube videos and different resources but it seems like I just end up being familiar with specific examples and cases rather then how to apply the Uniqueness Theorem (or even Gauss).

For example, this video right here has an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKf2szoEEBE&t=13m34s

My questions are:

1) What new knowledge does equating the two conductors to having no charge offer? After some head scratching, I can see why that's the only other case, outside of the infinite possibilities of distributing charge on the surface and the varying magnitudes of the charge.

2) What exactly are the boundary conditions? My rudimentary understanding is that the potential is constant for the surface and(/or?) charge in a conductor can be distributed in any manner.

3) I'm also having specific trouble applying Gauss' Theorem and Uniqueness Theorem together. I've read somewhere a cavity within a conductor has an electric field of zero but when I try to think about concentric spherical shells, I'm not sure if it holds true.

4) Also, is Gauss' Theorem only applicable for some sort of infinite entity? For example, a finite line charge SHOULD have an electric field in the direction of its extension so there is a flux but with infinite fields, the argument is they cancel out at the ends? Or is this correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
rbrayana123 said:
4) Also, is Gauss' Theorem only applicable for some sort of infinite entity? For example, a finite line charge SHOULD have an electric field in the direction of its extension so there is a flux but with infinite fields, the argument is they cancel out at the ends? Or is this correct.

I will address only this item for the moment:

If you wrap a finite Gaussian surface (a right circular cylinder) around an infinite wire, the E field is strictly radial thruout the length of your cylinder, making it easy to calculate the field at any radius inside or outside the wire.

If the wire had finite length the E field would not be only radial. There would be a component of E thru the cylinder's end faces. The cylinder ends would thus have a finite E flux going into them, invalidating the idea that ∫E*dA = q/ε = 2πrLE where q is the total charge, and L the wire's length, within the cylinder.

Hello! Just wanted to say I've better grasped questions 1 & 3 and thank you for graciously replying to question 4! I'll still be trying to answer my 2nd question and will later post in this thread on my progress.

I feel slightly annoying asking so many questions on this forum. However, I guarantee it's only because I'm simply not in a university environment over winter break so it's a little difficult having meaningful conversations about these topics alone. Again, thanks!

Related to Uniqueness/Gauss Theorem - General Difficulty/Misconceptions?

1. What is the uniqueness theorem in mathematics?

The uniqueness theorem is a fundamental concept in mathematics that states that a solution to a given problem is unique if and only if all of its components are uniquely determined.

2. How does the uniqueness theorem relate to the Gauss theorem?

The uniqueness theorem is closely related to the Gauss theorem, also known as the divergence theorem. This theorem states that the flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of that field over the enclosed volume. This is a powerful tool in solving problems involving electric and magnetic fields.

3. What are some common difficulties or misconceptions associated with the uniqueness theorem?

One common difficulty is the misconception that uniqueness always implies existence. While a unique solution must exist, it is not always guaranteed to be found using a particular method. Another misconception is that uniqueness is only applicable to linear problems, when in fact it can also be applied to non-linear problems.

4. How can one apply the uniqueness theorem in practical situations?

The uniqueness theorem has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to determine the unique solution to a boundary value problem in heat transfer, or to find the unique equilibrium point in a game theory scenario.

5. Can the uniqueness theorem be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the uniqueness theorem can be extended to higher dimensions. In fact, the Gauss theorem itself is often used in higher dimensions to solve problems involving vector fields. The concept of uniqueness is also applicable in various mathematical fields such as differential equations and topology.