Do wintergreen Life Savers actually make a spark?

In summary, there is a viral news article about the potential for Life Savers candy, particularly the wintergreen flavor, to create a spark when bitten into in the dark. This phenomenon is caused by the piezoelectric properties of the candy's crystals interacting with sugar molecules. While some have tried and confirmed this, others have not been able to replicate the effect. It has been suggested that external humidity may play a role in the success of the experiment. The concept has been featured in publications such as Scientific American.
ptex
Is this true or some trick?http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=36675

Physics news on Phys.org
If they do, its making me reconsider ever biting into any piece of Life Savers candy (especially wintergreen).

Especially while pumping gas.

I didn't know this was news. My friends and I discovered it at camp over a decade ago. I guess we should have written a report and submitted it for national fame...

So its real?

Oh yeah. Try it yourself. Go into the bathroom. Put a lifesaver in your mouth. Turn the light off. Look in the mirror, and chew with your mouth open.

As I understand it, the crystals in the Wint-o-Green LifeSavers TM discharge a piezoelectric spark. This in tern is amplified by interaction with the sugar molecules.

I read about that and tried it last summer, nothing happened. Though I also read that if it weren't ridiculously dark and very dry it wouldn't work. Thoguh I don't see how external humidity would matter at all, since the second you put it in your mouth it gets really damn humid.

You can also get the effect by opening some types of band-aid packages.

As my poor mother will tell you, if you use a pair of plyers instead of biting the LS it is much easier to see. The down side: Our bathroom had Wintergreen LS pieces in every corner and crevice. Obviously this approach quickly lends itself to making as big a spark as possible using many lifesavers at once. :rolleyes:

Sci Am had a write up on this years ago.

1. Do wintergreen Life Savers actually make a spark?

Yes, wintergreen Life Savers can produce a small but visible spark when crushed in a dark room or when biting down on them in the dark. This is due to the triboluminescence effect, which is the production of light from friction or breaking of chemical bonds.

2. Why do wintergreen Life Savers make a spark?

Wintergreen Life Savers contain a small amount of methyl salicylate, which is a compound found in wintergreen oil. When the candy is crushed or broken, the chemical bonds between the molecules are broken, causing the release of energy in the form of light.

3. How big is the spark produced by wintergreen Life Savers?

The spark produced by wintergreen Life Savers is very small and can be difficult to see in well-lit areas. It is usually only visible in dark or semi-dark environments.

4. Are there other candies that can produce a spark like wintergreen Life Savers?

Yes, there are other candies that can produce a similar spark, such as Wint-O-Green Lifesavers, mentos, and wintergreen Tic Tacs. However, wintergreen Life Savers are known for producing the most visible spark due to their high concentration of methyl salicylate.

5. Is it safe to try this experiment at home?

It is generally safe to try this experiment at home, as long as you follow proper safety precautions. However, it is important to note that the spark produced is very small and not strong enough to start a fire. Additionally, be careful when biting down on the candy in the dark to avoid accidentally swallowing it or choking on it.