Uniformly Charged Cylinder - Potential at distance d?

In summary, the problem asks to find the potential at a distance d from the centre of a uniformly charged solid cylinder, with given parameters of radius R, length L, and charge density ρ. The potential can be calculated using the equation V=∫kdq/r in cylindrical coordinates and with the z axis as the axis of the cylinder. Two attempts were made, with the first involving solving for the electric field using E=∫kdq/r^2 and the second starting with V=∫kdq/r. The second attempt resulted in the final equation V(z)=kρπ*ln(z)*R^2. Both methods assume that r is equal to z, as the question did not specify any other distance from
acedeno

Homework Statement

Consider a uniformly charged solid cylinder of radius R, length L and charge density ρ. Find the
potential at a distance d (> L/2) from the centre of the object, along the axis of the cylinder.

Homework Equations

V=∫kdq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

For me, it makes most sense to express this integral in cylindrical coordinates, seeing as the object is a cylinder. Also, since the axis of which the cylinder is on is not specified. I chose the z axis on a (x,y,z).

-stuff used for integration, respectively.
s[0,R]
Ø[0,2π]
z[0,L]

dq=sdsdØdz

I'm not too good at expressing notation on the computer so this is the basics of what i tried:

1st attempt: I know V(z)=∫E.dl , so, I tried to solve for E by using
E=∫kdq/r^2
E=∫∫∫(kρ/z^2)sdsdØdz

after I finished this integral, I lost confidence when doing the integral for V(z) because It didn't seem right to integrate over the same limits of integrations seeing as dl would be expressed as sdsdØdz - please tell me if I'm wrong.

2nd attempt: I just started with V=∫kdq/r.
V=∫∫∫(kρ/z)sdsdØdz
giving me
V(z)=kρπ*ln(z)*R^2

- I'm not sure which method is correct, if either. Help would be greatly appreciated.
- Also, since were just looking for the function with respect to a distance and because of the way the question was stated, I felt that it was okay to express r as just z rather than (L/2 + z)

Physics news on Phys.org
as the question did not state that anything other than the distance from the centre of the cylinder was given.

Related to Uniformly Charged Cylinder - Potential at distance d?

1. What is a uniformly charged cylinder?

A uniformly charged cylinder is a cylindrical object with a constant distribution of electric charge along its length. This means that the amount of charge per unit length is the same at all points on the cylinder.

2. How is the electric potential at a distance d from a uniformly charged cylinder calculated?

The electric potential at a distance d from a uniformly charged cylinder can be calculated using the formula V = kλln(R+d/R-d), where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb constant, λ is the charge per unit length, and R is the radius of the cylinder.

3. Can the potential at a distance d from a uniformly charged cylinder be negative?

Yes, the potential at a distance d from a uniformly charged cylinder can be negative. This indicates that the electric field is directed towards the cylinder, and the direction of the electric field is opposite to that of the positive charge distribution.

4. How does the potential at a distance d from a uniformly charged cylinder change with respect to the distance?

The potential at a distance d from a uniformly charged cylinder decreases as the distance increases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, and the potential is directly proportional to the electric field.

5. What is the significance of the potential at a distance d from a uniformly charged cylinder?

The potential at a distance d from a uniformly charged cylinder is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and charges. It can be used to calculate the electric field at any point, which is essential in many applications, such as designing electrical circuits and understanding the behavior of charged particles.