Uniform rods and disk in static equilibrium

In summary: W} +(0,-1);\filldraw[thick, fill=lightgray] (0,5) circle ({sqrt(5)});\draw[red, ultra thick, ->] (0,5) -- node[right] {W} +(0,-1);\draw[red, ultra thick, ->] (0.5,1) -- node[right] {W} +(0,-1);\draw[red, ultra thick, ->] (-0.5,1) -- node[left] {W} +(0,-1);\draw[red, ultra thick, ->]
markosheehan
i am stuck on question 9 can anyone help me out.
thanksView attachment 7225

Attachments

• WIN_20170817_17_31_52_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20170817_17_31_52_Pro.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 71
Mathematics news on Phys.org
not 100% sure this is it ... still pondering the hinge where the rods meet.

Last edited by a moderator:
skeeter said:
not 100% sure this is it ... still pondering the hinge where the rods meet.
yes your diagram is right. i feel i am using the right technique but i am not getting the right answer

anyway what i did was for the whole system forces left=forces right so R1sina=R2sina
forces up=forces down s1+s2=3w+r1cosa+r2cosa+w+w+w.

then i look at forces on rod ab individually (seperate to the whole system). i take moments about point o
i will come back tommorow with the equation i get.

doing anything else than i described will lead you going around in circles and it will lead to equations canceling out

$\displaystyle \sum F_y = 0 \implies 2N = 3W \implies N = \dfrac{3W}{2}$

Torques about the hinge for one of the rods ...

$R \cdot 2r + W\cos{\theta} \cdot \dfrac{r}{2} + N \cos{\theta} \cdot 2r = T \sin{\theta} \cdot 2r$$\tan{\theta} = 2 \implies \cos{\theta} = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{5}} \implies \sin{\theta} = \dfrac{2}{\sqrt{5}}$

$R = \dfrac{W\sqrt{5}}{2}$$\dfrac{W\sqrt{5}}{2} \cdot 2r + W \cdot \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{5}} \cdot \dfrac{r}{2} + \dfrac{3W}{2} \cdot \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{5}} \cdot 2r = T \cdot \dfrac{2}{\sqrt{5}} \cdot 2r$

solving for $T$ ...

$T = \dfrac{17W}{8}$

when letting forces up=forces down why did you not resolve the forces R and R into there vertical components?
you were taking forces up=down for the whole system right, not just looking at the two rods?

and my second question is how did you know the direction of R and R in your diagram. how did you it was not the other way around. the system is in equilbrium so there is obviously R going in the opposite direction as well.(Newtons law). i am confused though on which one you are supposed to use though. how are you supposed to know the direction.?

thank you very much

markosheehan said:
when letting forces up=forces down why did you not resolve the forces R and R into there vertical components?
you were taking forces up=down for the whole system right, not just looking at the two rods?

I did so to calculate the force R in terms of W.

The forces labeled R in the diagram are the forces acting on the rods by the weight of the disc.

See attached diagram ...

markosheehan said:
... and my second question is how did you know the direction of R and R in your diagram. how did you it was not the other way around. the system is in equilbrium so there is obviously R going in the opposite direction as well.(Newtons law). i am confused though on which one you are supposed to use though. how are you supposed to know the direction.

To calculate the torques about either rod, one needs the forces acting on the rod. As stated earlier, $R$ in my sketch is the force acting on the rod by the weight of the disc. A force pointing in the opposite direction would be the reaction force of the rod acting on the disc.

i still can not understand.

i am not sure how you get Rcos(θ)=2/w

if the equation is for the whole system you let all forces up = all forces down .

i would of thought it to be this

N+N=W+W+W+Rcosθ+Rcosθ

we know cosθ=1/\sqrt{5}

then this equals 2N=3w+2R(1/\sqrt{5})

but i do not know what you can substitute R for .i understand the second question. just wondering say we took moments about the center of the disc. does that mean we would be looking at forces on the disc and not the rod so we would take R in the other direction.

i understand this."To calculate the torques about either rod, one needs the forces acting on the rod" but for letting forces up=forces down how did you know the direction of R cause your quote does no longer apply.

First step is to only look at the external forces that act on the whole object.
That is, the forces of gravity on each object and the normal forces from the table.
\begin{tikzpicture}[>=stealth]
\draw[ultra thick] (-2,-4) node[above right, xshift=0.2cm] {$\theta$} -- (3,6);
\draw[ultra thick] (2,-4) -- (-3,6);
\draw (-2,-4) -- (2,-4);
\filldraw[thick, fill=lightgray] (0,5) circle ({sqrt(5)});
\draw[red, ultra thick, ->] (0,5) -- node
{W} +(0,-1);
\draw[red, ultra thick, ->] (0.5,1) -- node
{W} +(0,-1);
\draw[red, ultra thick, ->] (-0.5,1) -- node
{W} +(0,-1);
\draw[red, ultra thick, ->] (-2,-4) -- node
{N} +(0,1.5);
\draw[red, ultra thick, ->] (2,-4) -- node
{N} +(0,1.5);
\fill circle (0.1);
\end{tikzpicture}
It follows that $N=\frac 32 W$.

Then we look at each part separately.

For the disk we have:
{W} +(0,-1);
\draw[red, ultra thick, ->] (2,4) -- node[above right] {R} +(-1,0.5);
\draw[red, ultra thick, ->] (-2,4) -- node[above left] {R} +(1,0.5);
\end{tikzpicture}
From this diagram we can deduce $R$.

And for one of the rods we have:
{W} +(0,-1);
{N} +(0,1.5);
\draw[red, ultra thick, ->] (2,4) node[below right, yshift=-0.1cm] {$\theta$} -- +(1,-0.5) node[below right] {R} ;
\draw[red, ultra thick, dashed, ->] (2,4) -- +(1,0) node
{Rx};
\draw[red, ultra thick, dashed, ->] (2,4) -- +(0,-0.5) node[below] {Ry};
\draw[red, ultra thick, ->] (-2,-4) -- node[below] {T} +(1,0);
\draw[red, ultra thick, ->] (0,0) -- node[below] {Hx} +(1,0);
\draw[red, ultra thick, ->] (0,0) -- node
{Hy} +(0,1);
\fill circle (0.1);
\end{tikzpicture}
Note that force $R$ is equal and opposite to the one for the disk.

At all times we have 3 equations:
$$\sum F_x = 0 \\ \sum F_y = 0 \\ \sum M_{\text{with respect to some hinge}} = 0$$
In particular we can find $T$ by setting up the equation for the moment of inertia with respect to the hinge.​

@ I like Serena ...

Nice sketches. What software did you use to make them? I do mine on MS Paint.

skeeter said:
@ I like Serena ...

Nice sketches. What software did you use to make them? I do mine on MS Paint.

Thanks!

The software is embedded in this forum just like MathJax for formulas.
See: http://mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?19543-TikZ-pictures
If you click on one of the pictures (or quote the comment), it shows the $\LaTeX$ behind it.
See http://35.164.211.156/tikz/tikzlive.html for an online interactive editor with some templates.

I like Serena said:
\draw[ultra thick] (2,-4) -- (-3,6);
\draw (-2,-4) -- (2,-4);
{W} +(0,-1);
{W} +(0,-1);
\draw[red, ultra thick, ->] (-0.5,1) -- node
{W} +(0,-1);
{N} +(0,1.5);
\draw[red, ultra thick, ->] (2,-4) -- node
{N} +(0,1.5);
\fill circle (0.1);
\end{tikzpicture}

... for construction of this tikz sketch, you used the coordinates from my MS paint sketch?​

skeeter said:
... for construction of this tikz sketch, you used the coordinates from my MS paint sketch?

Yep.

Related to Uniform rods and disk in static equilibrium

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a state where an object is at rest and all the forces acting on it are balanced, resulting in zero net force. In simpler terms, the object is not moving and there is no tendency for it to move.

2. How do uniform rods and disks achieve static equilibrium?

To achieve static equilibrium, the forces acting on the uniform rods and disks must be balanced. This means that the sum of all the forces acting on the object must be equal to zero. This can be achieved by placing the object in such a way that its center of mass is directly above its base of support and there are no external forces acting on it.

3. What is the center of mass of an object?

The center of mass of an object is the point where all the mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated. It is the point where the object will be perfectly balanced and will not rotate when placed on a pivot.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect the stability of uniform rods and disks in static equilibrium?

The distribution of mass plays a crucial role in determining the stability of an object in static equilibrium. If the mass is evenly distributed, the object will be more stable as it will have a lower center of mass and a wider base of support. However, if the mass is concentrated at one end, the object will be less stable and more prone to tipping over.

5. What are some real-life examples of uniform rods and disks in static equilibrium?

Some common examples of uniform rods and disks in static equilibrium are a seesaw, a ladder leaning against a wall, and a book standing on a flat surface. In each of these scenarios, the forces acting on the object are balanced, resulting in a state of static equilibrium.