Uniform Rod Attached To Spring Motion Equation Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a uniform rod of length 0.2m and mass 0.2kg attached to a horizontal spring with spring constant 3.0 N/m. The equation of motion for the rod is shown to be \frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}= \frac{3k}{m}\sin\theta\cos\theta - \frac{3g}{2L}\sin\theta, and the problem is approached by resolving the system horizontally. It is suggested to use F=ma for linear motion and T=I\alpha for angular motion.
TheDoctor078

Homework Statement

'Figure 2 shows a uniform rod of length L= 0.2m and mass m=0.2kg pivoted at one end. The other end is attached to a horizontal spring with spring constant k =3.0 N/m. The spring is neither stretched nor compressed when the rod is perfectly vertical. You can also assume that the force due to the spring is always horizontal.

a) Show that the equation of motion for the rod is:

[tex]\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}= \frac{3k}{m}\sin\theta\cos\theta - \frac{3g}{2L}\sin\theta[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]F=-kx,
F=ma,
F=-mg\sin\theta
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no real idea of how to tackle this problem, I presume we need to resolve the system horizontally in terms of the restoring forces needed by both parts, which in this case would be:

[tex]F=-kx-mg\sin\theta[/tex]

After that, I have no idea how to tackle the problem, if someone could help point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated as I'm getting a little bit stressed out at not being able to get the grips with this question...

Physics news on Phys.org
For linear motion we use F = ma.

Similarly for angular motion we use

T = I[itex]\alpha[/itex]

where T = torque, I = moment of inertia and [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the angular acceleration.

Related to Uniform Rod Attached To Spring Motion Equation Problem

What is the Uniform Rod Attached To Spring Motion Equation Problem?

The Uniform Rod Attached To Spring Motion Equation Problem is a physics problem that involves a uniform rod that is attached to a spring and is in a state of simple harmonic motion.

What is the equation for Uniform Rod Attached To Spring Motion?

The equation for Uniform Rod Attached To Spring Motion is given by x(t) = A cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement of the rod, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

How do you solve the Uniform Rod Attached To Spring Motion Equation Problem?

To solve the Uniform Rod Attached To Spring Motion Equation Problem, you first need to identify the values of A, ω, and φ. Then, you can plug these values into the equation x(t) = A cos(ωt + φ) to find the displacement of the rod at a given time t.

What factors affect the motion of the Uniform Rod Attached To Spring?

The motion of the Uniform Rod Attached To Spring is affected by several factors, including the mass and length of the rod, the spring constant, and the initial displacement and velocity of the rod.

Can the Uniform Rod Attached To Spring Motion Equation be used for real-life situations?

Yes, the Uniform Rod Attached To Spring Motion Equation can be used to model real-life situations such as the motion of pendulums, springs, and other harmonic oscillators. It is also used in various engineering and physics applications.