Uniform radial electric field?

In summary, the term 'uniform' is commonly used to describe simple charge distributions and electric fields in electrodynamics. This concept of uniformity is often represented by many charges sitting at a certain distance from each other, forming a line, surface, or volume charge density. Using Gauss's Law, the electric field inside a uniformly charged sphere is found to be proportional to r, while outside it follows the inverse square law. A uniform electric field can also be produced by two parallel plates of opposite charge polarity. Investigating radial uniform electric fields, it is found that the charge density decreases in proportion to 1/r as the field is held constant, making it difficult to create in nature. The charge density becomes infinite at the origin, but the
maurits
In textbooks or other texts that discuss electrodynamics at some point always the term 'uniform' is introduced to describe particularly simple (symmetric) charge distributions, electric fields, etc.

In trying to imagine what a uniform charge distribution - which, of course, is a mathematical idealization - looks like in nature, I quickly end up at an image of many charges (electrons) sitting next to each other at a certain distance. They may form a string, cover a surface or fill up a volume, thereby creating a uniform line, surface or volume charge density, respectively.

Using Gauss's Law to find a formulation for the electric field for the last case of a uniformly charged sphere, we see that for a sphere of radius R the field inside the sphere (r <= R) is

[tex]
\vec{E} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{Qr}{R^3}\hat{r}
[/tex]

Outside the sphere (r > R), it is
[tex]
\vec{E} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{Q}{r^2}\hat{r}
[/tex]

Hence, inside the uniformly charged sphere E is proportional to r, outside it E goes as the inverse square of r. This is nicely sketched at the bottom of http://www.2classnotes.com/digital_notes.asp?p=Electric_Field_due_to_a_Uniform_Sphere_of_Charge . Note that E points in the radial direction as indicated by the [texi]\hat{r}[/texi].

What if we consider a uniform electric field instead of a uniform charge distribution? A sketch similar to that linked to before should then consist of or contain a horizontal line.

A well-known example of a uniform electric field is the one produced by (between) two (infinite) parallel plates of opposite charge polarity. The electric field lines are perpendicular to the plates in this case.

As to investigate radial uniform electric fields, let's try to find the spherical charge distribution (of finite volume) that produces the field

[tex]
\vec{E} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{Q}{R^2}\hat{r}
[/tex]

within that sphere (r <= R). Outside the sphere, where we assume the charge density to be zero, the electric field will be the same as we found before.

Applying Gauss's Law again, this time to find the charge distribution, we get

[tex]
\rho(r) = \frac{Q}{2\pi R^2}\frac{1}{r}
[/tex]

valid for r <= R. It surprises me that the charge distribution goes as 1/r (please correct me if this is not the case at all) and several question popped up in my mind the moment I derived this result:
- As we approach the origin (r = 0) the charge density becomes higher and higher. What happens near or at the origin?
- Does a charge distribution like this exist in nature? Are we capable of making one in some way?
- Are any cases know in nature of uniform radial electric fields?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the field is to be constant, the charge would have to increase in proportion to r^2. Since the volume increases in proportion to r^3, the charge density would have to decrease in proportion to 1/r. So that makes sense. The fact that this means charge density would have to increase without bound as you decrease r makes it very difficult or impossible to make.

AM

the charge density becomes infinite but the total amount of charge is still finite

the field at the origin would be zero

maurits said:
- As we approach the origin (r = 0) the charge density becomes higher and higher. What happens near or at the origin?
- Does a charge distribution like this exist in nature? Are we capable of making one in some way?
- Are any cases know in nature of uniform radial electric fields?

Thanks!

It is easier to see what's going on by calculating q(r) for r<R, this goes as r^2; the problem is really that density in a radial variable is not such an intuitive quantity

granpa said:
the charge density becomes infinite but the total amount of charge is still finite

the field at the origin would be zero

Ah, of course! This reminds me of Dirac's delta function, which, in the end, we always integrate. I remember the Dirac delta is also introduced in electrodynamics (cf. Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics (3e) p. 50) to cater for the problem with the divergence of the E-field at r = 0.

dgOnPhys said:
It is easier to see what's going on by calculating q(r) for r<R, this goes as r^2; the problem is really that density in a radial variable is not such an intuitive quantity

Yes, my intuition indeed seems to falter, here. I guess it has to do with the problem you point out: how can we understand a density in a radial variable? Thanks! I'll also try to look into the approach concerning q(r).

Last edited:

Related to Uniform radial electric field?

1. What is a uniform radial electric field?

A uniform radial electric field is an electric field that has the same strength and direction at every point in a circular or spherical region. This means that the field lines are evenly spaced and point towards or away from the center of the circle or sphere.

2. How is a uniform radial electric field created?

A uniform radial electric field can be created by placing a point charge at the center of a circle or sphere, or by using two or more point charges that are evenly distributed around the center. It can also be created by using a charged plate with a circular or spherical shape.

3. What is the significance of a uniform radial electric field?

A uniform radial electric field is important in many scientific and technological applications. It is used in particle accelerators to guide and accelerate charged particles, in electron microscopy to focus and manipulate electron beams, and in medical devices such as MRI machines to produce uniform magnetic fields.

4. How does a uniform radial electric field affect charged particles?

In a uniform radial electric field, charged particles will experience a force that is directed towards or away from the center of the circle or sphere, depending on their charge. This force causes the particles to accelerate and move along circular or spherical paths.

5. Can a uniform radial electric field exist in a vacuum?

Yes, a uniform radial electric field can exist in a vacuum. In fact, it is often used in vacuum chambers in scientific experiments. In a vacuum, there are no air molecules or other particles to disrupt the uniformity of the field, making it easier to study and control.