Uniform Pully with a single block, do not understand where mass relates?

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the role of mass in equations involving uniform cylindrical pulleys and a single block. The person is struggling to find information on this topic and is asking for help. They have tried solving for acceleration using an equation involving tension and mass, but it did not give them the correct solution. They are now looking for a second equation to solve for the acceleration, specifically the rotational equivalent of Newton's 2nd law.
StingerManB
OK, my largest issue with dealing with uniform cylindrical pulleys and a single block (object) is understanding where mass of the block relates in any of the equations.

Specifically, I was doing some problems earlier with no issues at all. Then I came across one asking about the mass of the block hanging from the pulley. The book and my notes do not speak of this.
Known:
mass of the pulley
radius,
Tension,

This seems like a pretty straight-forward topic, yet I cannot seem to locate much on it.
Can anyone please explain the topic?
Thank you in advance, I have already found much help from these forums, and without them would probably not pass calculus based physics!

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried solving for acceleration then using:

ma = mg - T, rearranged as T = m(g-a) but this did not give me a correct solution either. hmmmmm.

StingerManB said:
OK, my largest issue with dealing with uniform cylindrical pulleys and a single block (object) is understanding where mass of the block relates in any of the equations.

Specifically, I was doing some problems earlier with no issues at all. Then I came across one asking about the mass of the block hanging from the pulley. The book and my notes do not speak of this.
Are you talking about a cylinder that has a massless rope wrapped around it from which a block is hanging? And you're supposed to find the acceleration of the block?
Known:
mass of the pulley
radius,
Tension,
Generally the tension is not known, but you can figure it out.

StingerManB said:
I tried solving for acceleration then using:

ma = mg - T, rearranged as T = m(g-a) but this did not give me a correct solution either.
That looks like a reasonable equation for the block. Note that you have two unknowns, tension and acceleration. You need a second equation--one for the cylinder--to solve for the acceleration.

Ok, thank you. I will look for some info on this. I am not too familiar with the equations of a pulley.
To clarify the problem, I am looking for the mass of a block hanging from a single pulley.
From the problem I am given the mass of the pulley, the radius of the pulley, and the tension in the cable.
Do you know, specifically, which equation I am missing for the cylinder?
Thank you again for the help. I need to know this subject in and out...

StingerManB said:
To clarify the problem, I am looking for the mass of a block hanging from a single pulley.
From the problem I am given the mass of the pulley, the radius of the pulley, and the tension in the cable.
OK. Instead of the tension being unknown, the mass is unknown. You still have two unknowns and need two equations.
Do you know, specifically, which equation I am missing for the cylinder?
Yes, the rotational equivalent of Newton's 2nd law: Net Torque = Iα

you have PM.

Related to Uniform Pully with a single block, do not understand where mass relates?

1. What is a uniform pulley with a single block?

A uniform pulley with a single block is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference, a rope or belt passing over the wheel, and a single block attached to one end of the rope. It is used to change the direction of force and magnify the force applied.

2. How does a uniform pulley with a single block work?

In a uniform pulley with a single block, the force applied to one end of the rope is transferred to the other end of the rope, causing the block to move. The block's weight is evenly distributed over the pulley, making it easier to lift larger objects with less force.

3. What is the relationship between mass and a uniform pulley with a single block?

The mass of the block and the weight of the object being lifted are directly related to the amount of force needed to move the block and the object. The heavier the object, the more force is needed to lift it using the uniform pulley.

4. Can a uniform pulley with a single block be used to lift objects of any weight?

No, a uniform pulley with a single block has a weight limit, just like any other simple machine. If the object being lifted exceeds the weight limit, the pulley may break or malfunction.

5. How can the mechanical advantage of a uniform pulley with a single block be calculated?

The mechanical advantage of a uniform pulley with a single block can be calculated by dividing the weight of the object being lifted by the force applied to the rope. This will give the ratio of the output force to the input force, also known as the mechanical advantage.