Scattering-Transmission-Reflection in box potential? Help. Please. Please.

In summary: I solved for Phi(x) and found that it's always positive, no matter where x is in the potential region. I also found that r(k) is always equal to 2ikr'- r'' and A''/A= (-hbar^2/2m)-Vnaught-E. In summary, the potential at x=-a is infinite, and the continuity of phi'/phi at x=-a says that there is a connection between Phi(x) and phi', at x=-a.
clumsy9irl
I'm trying to analyze the reflection of a plane wave of energy E on the box potential where

v(x)= 0 for x<-a
-Vnaught for -a<x<0
infinity for 0<x

and I'm trying to solve the schroedinger eqn. through:

Phi(x) = e^ikx + r(k)*e^-ikx in region 1
A(k)sin(k'x) in region 2

Continuity of phi and phi'/phi at x=-a.

I'm trying to solve for r(k) and A(k), so I've gone and derived all the nastiness, and I get something like r=2ikr'- r'' and A''/A= (-hbar^2/2m)-Vnaught-E

I'm supposed to be able to tell what it means physically that the abs. value of r(k) = 1? I can'tget r(k) to equal one, and I can't find A max. How would I do this?? :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the answer, but I can offer suggestions:

- Define your regions. We can guess/figure out what you mean by "region I" etc., but we don't really have any way of knowing.

- Why is there a continuity of phi'/phi. I've never heard of that. I suppose that says the same thing as continuity of phi', since continuity of phi has already been established?

- What are your B.C.'s at the other boundary (x = 0)?

- Is Phi(x) due to an incident particle at a particular momentum, or is this just a stationary state? I don't understand why you have r as a function of k unless Phi(x) is an integral over k.

- Should A(k) really be A(k')?

if the potential at x=0 is infinite, the boundary condition requires that the wave function is zero, in this case for all x > 0. the condition [tex] \frac{\psi '(x)}{\psi(x)} [/tex] is called the logrithmic continuity of the wave function.

The original question was a tiny bit sloppy (sorry clumsy9irl) but I recognized it fairly quickly. Be careful in your notation, it is the little things that will jump up and bite you later.

keep working in this problem, the answer will come out. It is analogous to a 3-d shperical poential well.

Dr Transport said:
the condition [tex] \frac{\psi '(x)}{\psi(x)} [/tex] is called the logrithmic continuity of the wave function.
What condition? Did you mean something more like:

(1) [tex] \frac{\psi_1 '(x_0)}{\psi_1(x_0)} = \frac{\psi_2 '(x_0)}{\psi_2(x_0)} [/tex]

What I don't get is, if we impose:

(2) [tex] \psi_1(x_0) = \psi_2(x_0) [/tex]

then what does (1) say that (3) does not:

(3) [tex] \psi_1 '(x_0) = \psi_2 '(x_0) [/tex]

it is just a way to express the continuity of the wavefunction...

turin said:
What condition? Did you mean something more like:

(1) [tex] \frac{\psi_1 '(x_0)}{\psi_1(x_0)} = \frac{\psi_2 '(x_0)}{\psi_2(x_0)} [/tex]

What I don't get is, if we impose:

(2) [tex] \psi_1(x_0) = \psi_2(x_0) [/tex]

then what does (1) say that (3) does not:

(3) [tex] \psi_1 '(x_0) = \psi_2 '(x_0) [/tex]

(1) is nothing more than equation (3) divided by equation (2). Any two of these equations are enough to pin down the Boundary Conditions.
Cheers,
Norm

Thanks, Dr Transport and Norman. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

1. What is scattering, transmission, and reflection in a box potential?

Scattering, transmission, and reflection are terms used to describe the behavior of particles when they encounter a potential barrier, such as a box. Scattering refers to the change in direction of a particle's motion after interacting with the potential, transmission refers to the passage of a particle through the barrier, and reflection refers to the bouncing back of a particle from the barrier.

2. How does the shape of the box potential affect scattering, transmission, and reflection?

The shape of the box potential can greatly affect the behavior of particles. A deeper and wider potential will result in higher levels of scattering and reflection, whereas a narrower and shallower potential will result in higher levels of transmission.

3. What is the role of energy in scattering, transmission, and reflection?

The energy of the particle plays a crucial role in determining its behavior when encountering a box potential. If the particle's energy is lower than the potential barrier, it will experience high levels of reflection. If the particle's energy is higher than the potential barrier, it will experience high levels of transmission.

4. How does the width of the potential barrier affect scattering, transmission, and reflection?

The width of the potential barrier can also impact the behavior of particles. A wider barrier will result in a higher probability of reflection, while a narrower barrier will result in a higher probability of transmission. This is due to the fact that a wider barrier allows for more interactions between the particle and the potential, leading to a higher chance of reflection.

5. Are there any real-world applications of scattering, transmission, and reflection in box potential?

Yes, these concepts have many real-world applications. For example, they are used in nuclear physics to study the behavior of particles in nuclear reactions. They are also used in materials science to understand the properties of materials and how they interact with different types of barriers. Additionally, these concepts are important in the development of technologies such as particle accelerators and semiconductor devices.