Uniform Electric Field in Cavity of Solid Sphere

In summary, the problem involves a solid sphere with a uniformly distributed charge q and a spherical cavity cut out of it. The goal is to show that the electric field in the cavity is uniform and has a magnitude of (1/4*pi*epsilon knot)(qd/R^3), where d is the distance between the center of the original sphere and the center of the spherical cavity. This can be achieved by inserting a sphere of opposite charge density into the cavity, effectively canceling out the original charge distribution and creating a uniform electric field.
mrlebowski

Homework Statement

A charge q is uniformly distributed over the volume of a solid sphere of radius R. A spherical cavity is cut out of this solid sphere, and the material and its charges are discarded. Show that the electric field in the cavity will then be uniform, of magnitude (1/4*pi*epsilon knot)(qd/R^3), where d is the distance between the center of the original sphere and the center of the spherical cavity.

Homework Equations

p(ro)=q/v (charge density)

electric flux= E*A=q(enclosed)/epsilon knot (E is the electric field, and A is the surface area of the Gaussian surface used to find flux)

electrical flux of spherical gaussian surface = E *4pi*r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a really hard time wrapping my mind around this one, and I am loathe to begin calculating before I know what is going on conceptually. However, I have been trying to the electric field just before and after the cavity. So if the radius of the cavity is H, finding the field at (d-H) and (d+H) might be able to tell me something about the field in between those points (inside the cavity)? But in calculating the field at the outer edge of the sphere, where the radius is (d+H), I had a hard time accounting for the loss of volume and charge and surface area in calculating the field at this point. The point of the problem is just to show that inside the sphere the field is uniform and its magnitude is as given above. If someone could just explain how that answer came to be, and why it is the case, I would be most grateful. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

There is a trick for such problems. You can make a cavity free of charge by inserting a sphere of opposite charge density there.

ehild

Related to Uniform Electric Field in Cavity of Solid Sphere

1. What is a uniform electric field in the cavity of a solid sphere?

A uniform electric field in the cavity of a solid sphere is a type of electric field that has the same strength and direction at every point within the cavity. This means that if you were to place a charged particle at any point within the cavity, it would experience the same force in the same direction regardless of its position.

2. How is a uniform electric field created in the cavity of a solid sphere?

A uniform electric field in the cavity of a solid sphere is created by placing a charged object at the center of the sphere. The charged object acts as the source of the electric field and the sphere acts as a conductor, distributing the electric field evenly throughout the cavity.

3. What are the properties of a uniform electric field in the cavity of a solid sphere?

A uniform electric field in the cavity of a solid sphere has the following properties:

• Constant strength and direction at every point within the cavity
  • Radially symmetric, meaning the electric field lines are evenly spaced and point towards or away from the center of the sphere
  • Zero electric field at the surface of the sphere

4. How does the electric field inside the cavity of a solid sphere differ from the electric field outside the sphere?

The electric field inside the cavity of a solid sphere is constant and uniform, while the electric field outside the sphere varies depending on the distance from the center of the sphere. Additionally, the electric field inside the cavity is zero at the surface of the sphere, while the electric field outside the sphere is non-zero at all points.

5. What are some real-world applications of a uniform electric field in the cavity of a solid sphere?

A uniform electric field in the cavity of a solid sphere has various applications in the field of electrostatics, including:

• Electrostatic shielding for sensitive electronic devices
  • Ion trapping for scientific experiments
  • Electric field focusing in particle accelerators