Who is in the coalition against Iraq?

• News
  • Thread starter Another God
  • Start date
In summary: Hi George, I think you're right but if I vote in favor of a resolution in the UN, I'll lose my next election."
Another God
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
This question was asked on the streets of Washington by a news crew today, and I think it was a good question to ask.

It would seem that most people only know of England and Spain, and of course America, and that's all. Very few ppl realized Australia is in it.

The thing I wonder about though, is whether what they showed was an accurate sample of the people they asked, or whether it was just the sample that they wanted to show?

Honestly though, I only knew of America, England and Australia. I never knew spain had anything to do with, or portugal. But then, I am not paying too much attention to such things. I know it is happening, and that's all I need to know isn't it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that as of March 11th (I would expect some shifts in the past few days and perhaps in the future 24 hours) all of the countries below have offered SOME support either through use of bases, airspace and refueling space, actual armed forces or as in the case of the czech republic, its anti-chemical warfare unit.

Australia, Bahrain, Britain, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Italy, Kyrgyzstan, Kuwait, Oman, Poland, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Spain, U.A.E., Uzbekistan, Yemen

NO military support from the Netherlands (in the past we have helped with defense).

From the Ha'aretz:
Powell says "30 nations with U.S. in "coalition of the willing" to bring down Saddam, another 15 have quietly promised support"

I'm wondering who are the other 25+?

President Bush was disappointed about the size of the coalition when he was informed that England, Britain and the United Kingdom were not three separate countries.

Njorl

Originally posted by kat
From the Ha'aretz:
Powell says "30 nations with U.S. in "coalition of the willing" to bring down Saddam, another 15 have quietly promised support"

I'm wondering who are the other 25+?

What?? That is hard to believe, could you name those? Kat only mentioned 17. And how do you quietly promise support? I thought you can only quietly be indifferent..

So they have support from 45 nations, really

President Bush was disappointed about the size of the coalition when he was informed that England, Britain and the United Kingdom were not three separate countries.

LOL! That's hilarious. :smile:

But to get back on track, I'm amazed that there are that many countries offering support. Most of the time you hear about the countries that oppose the US policy concerning this matter.

Monique- The link to the Haaretz article is here. It does not list the countries.

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/274159.html

The Institue for Policy Studies, a left wing think tank in Washington DC (strongly opposed to this war) listed 2 weeks ago 34 nations that agreed either overtly or covertly to support the US war against Iraq, They were: Albania, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bulgaria, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Georgia, Hungary, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Oman, the Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom.

I'd like to see an accurate updated list as of today if anyone has seen something comprehensive.

Originally posted by Njorl

Njorl

You mean he can read those words?

Originally posted by Sting
But to get back on track, I'm amazed that there are that many countries offering support. Most of the time you hear about the countries that oppose the US policy concerning this matter.
Its surprising what you can achieve with a little arm twisting. There was an article about this in one of the recent issues of the Economist. Blair's doing most of the dirty work, though.

Cant do much, though. The alpha male is in charge and is going through a particularly high surge of testosterone. We'll just have to hide in our caves and hope we don't get hurt in the cross-fire.
We haven't really evolved much, have we ? :wink:

- S.

Originally posted by Siv

Cant do much, though. The alpha male is in charge and is going through a particularly high surge of testosterone. We'll just have to hide in our caves and hope we don't get hurt in the cross-fire.
We haven't really evolved much, have we ? :wink:

Come on Siv. What is it with you and your male-bashing. You know, a little testosterone might be exacltly what you need. It might mellow you out a bit.

And how do you quietly promise support? I thought you can only quietly be indifferent..
All it takes is a phone call: "Hi George, I think you're right but if I vote in favor of a resolution in the UN, I'll lose my next election."

You can also play both sides of the field that way: The French have promised to provide peacekeepers for after the war ends. "Hi George, I'm a greedy, selfish coward, but I want to be seen as having been a part of the winning team."

I wonder what many of these countries "support" means?

Originally posted by Alias
Come on Siv. What is it with you and your male-bashing. You know, a little testosterone might be exacltly what you need. It might mellow you out a bit.
I suggest you go and read up a little on what testosterone is :smile:

BTW that was not male-bashing ... that was Bush/Republican criticism.

- S.

Bush is dictator !

Bush is dictator !
Acually , Bosh Doesn't Govern USA ... He Is Just A Doll In The Hands Of Others ...
Bosh Is A Moron , That's The Correct Description He Can Be given.

I don't think we should jump to such far reaching conclusions that quickly. I personally agree that some of his policies are moronic, but politically he is far from a moron.
And Bush is not really a dictator, as the majority of Americans do agree with the war. The same cannot be said for the majority of the so-called coalition of the willing, though.

I'm certainly not but my Prime Minister is. I was one of the 500,000 odd that got oout on the streets in Australia. That's more than 5% of the entire population, not just taking part in a news poll but marching. The polls say that 77% of Australians are opposed to the war. I think to say that 'Australia' is among the coalition of the willing is a stretch, it's the Australian government.

I think most of us here would prefer there not to be tyrranical dictatorships and wouldn't have as much of a problem if there was a concerted effot to bring democracy and justice to the world. The reality is that the war is based on fiscal outcomes alone.

Raavin

I am sure that the USA and its allies appreciate the help given to its special forces by Jordan. There is significant cooperation between US special forces and their counterparts in Jordan, a fact which is kept fairly quiet.

By the way, whether Bush is a moron or not does not really matter. America is a democracy and when the electorate tires of president Bush, it will vote him out of office. This is a right not enjoyed by the people of Iraq. Soon, we hope, Iraq will be a democracy.

1. Who are the main countries in the coalition against Iraq?

The main countries in the coalition against Iraq were the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, and Poland. Other countries that joined at various points included Spain, Italy, Denmark, and the Netherlands.

2. Why did these countries form a coalition against Iraq?

The coalition was formed in response to Iraq's invasion of Kuwait in 1990. The countries involved were concerned about Iraq's aggression and the potential threat it posed to the stability of the region.

3. What were the goals of the coalition against Iraq?

The main goal of the coalition was to remove Iraqi forces from Kuwait and restore its sovereignty. Additionally, the coalition aimed to dismantle Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program and bring about political change in the country.

4. How long did the coalition against Iraq last?

The coalition officially lasted from 1990 to 2003, when the United States and its allies launched a military invasion of Iraq. However, some countries, such as the United Kingdom, continued to support the United States in military operations in Iraq until 2009.

5. Did any countries withdraw from the coalition against Iraq?

Yes, some countries did withdraw from the coalition. Spain, Italy, and the Netherlands withdrew their support in 2004, while Denmark withdrew in 2007. However, the main countries in the coalition, including the United States and the United Kingdom, remained until the end of the military operations in 2009.