Uniform Circular Motion: Why is the velocity changing?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question on a practice test about uniform circular motion. The initial thought was to choose (C) as the answer because acceleration always points towards the center of the circle. However, the correct answer was D. The question was then raised if this was due to direction rather than magnitude. It is noted that both velocity and acceleration change in direction, and not just magnitude, when given an axis of reference. The concept of velocity and acceleration as vector quantities is also discussed.
physicsbaig
I encountered this question in a practice test for an upcoming exam. My first inkling was to answer with (C) because in uniform circular motion, the acceleration always points towards the center of the circle, but the actual answer was D. Do you think this question was just an issue of direction and not magnitude? I know that acceleration nor the velocity are changing in magnitude BUT are changing in direction, given an axis of reference. What do you think? Thanks for your help in advance!
upload_2014-10-2_10-45-9.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Baiq and welcome to PF. Use the template (although I agree it's not extremely useful here). Read the guidelines too.
What I think is that you have the right conceptual picture (*). I take it that velocity in this context is a vector quantity and then there is only one answer that is not blatantly wrong.

(*) but then your first inkling would have to be that both B) and C) are right...

And: "given an axis of reference" is not a condition: they change, period.

Thank you! Velocity is a vector quantity. That is something I'll remember.

And acceleration is too !

I can understand the confusion with this question. While the magnitude of the velocity and acceleration may not be changing in uniform circular motion, the direction of the velocity is constantly changing. This is because the object is constantly changing its direction as it moves along the circular path. This change in direction is what causes the velocity to change, even though the magnitude remains constant.

The correct answer, D, may have been chosen because it specifically mentions the change in direction of the velocity. However, I can see how the other answer choices, such as C, may also seem applicable.

In summary, the velocity is changing in uniform circular motion because the direction of the velocity is constantly changing as the object moves along the circular path. This change in direction is caused by the acceleration, which always points towards the center of the circle. I hope this helps clarify the concept of uniform circular motion for you.

Related to Uniform Circular Motion: Why is the velocity changing?

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is the motion of an object in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object is moving at the same speed but in a different direction at every point around the circle.

2. Why is velocity changing in uniform circular motion?

The velocity is changing because the direction of the object's motion is constantly changing as it moves around the circle. Even though the speed remains constant, the direction of the velocity is changing, which means the velocity vector is also changing.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity in uniform circular motion?

Speed is the magnitude of the object's motion, while velocity is the object's speed and direction. In uniform circular motion, the object's speed remains the same, but the direction of the velocity is constantly changing.

4. How is centripetal force related to uniform circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In uniform circular motion, the centripetal force is always directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's motion.

5. Can an object have uniform circular motion without a centripetal force?

No, an object cannot have uniform circular motion without a centripetal force. Without a force acting towards the center of the circle, the object would continue moving in a straight line instead of following a circular path.