Uniform circular motion statements

In summary, the correct answer is b. since the object must experience a net force directed towards the center of the circle in order to maintain its circular motion.
flynostrich08

Homework Statement

Which of the following is not true in relation to an object moving in uniform circular motion?
a. KE of the object is constant
b. net force is zero
c. net work is zero
d. the magnitude of acceleration is constant
e. momentum is non-constant

The Attempt at a Solution

at first i thought it was e. but then i believe momentum relies on velocity which would not make it true so i believe the best answer is b. but not a 100% sure why

Physics news on Phys.org
Your choice of B is correct because if there were no forces, the object would travel in a straight line path rather than a circular one, i.e. Newtons 1st Law. The must be some net force that is directed toward the center of the circle which is either tension or some other agency keeping the particle in circular motion. Hope that helps.

Joe

Related to Uniform circular motion statements

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object's speed remains the same, but its direction is constantly changing.

2. How is uniform circular motion different from non-uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the speed of the object remains constant, while in non-uniform circular motion, the speed may vary. Additionally, the acceleration in uniform circular motion is directed towards the center of the circle, while in non-uniform circular motion, the acceleration may have both a tangential and radial component.

3. What is the relationship between the radius and speed in uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the radius of the circle and the speed of the object are directly proportional. This means that as the radius increases, the speed also increases, and vice versa.

4. Can an object undergo uniform circular motion without an external force?

No, an object cannot undergo uniform circular motion without an external force. In order for an object to move in a circular path at a constant speed, a force must be acting on it towards the center of the circle, known as centripetal force.

5. What are some real-life examples of uniform circular motion?

Some examples of uniform circular motion include the Earth orbiting around the Sun, a car driving around a curved track at a constant speed, and a satellite in geostationary orbit around the Earth.