Uniform Circular Motion of a satellite

In summary, The problem is about finding the speed and magnitude of centripetal acceleration for an Earth satellite in a circular orbit and a boy whirling a stone in a horizontal circle. For the satellite, the correct radius must be used and distance and time must be converted to meters and seconds. For the stone, projectile motion principles must be applied to determine the speed.
DramatikaRocks
Problem:
I have these exercises that I need help with. They look easy and I have an idea on what to do, but the answer I get is not right. I know I'm doing something wrong and I need any help I can get.

Homework Statement

1.) An Earth satellite moves in a circular orbit 640 Km above Earth's surface witha period of 98.0 min. What are the a.) Speed and b.) the magnitude of centripetal aceleration of the satellite?

Homework Equations

I want to know what is the radius that I use and if I have to change 98 min for seconds?
If I have the speed I can calculate the aceleration.

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is I'm assuming that the radius is 640km and I divide that with 98.0 min but that is not the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
the other exercise is :

1.) A boy whorles a stone in an horizontal circle of radius 1.5m and at a height of 2.0m above level ground. The string breaks,the stone flies off horizontally and strikes the ground after traveling a horizontal distance of 10m. What is the magnitude off the
centripetal aceleration of the stone while in circular motion?

2.) The question is that I need the speed and I have no Idea how to get it. And I don't know how to solve this really.

DramatikaRocks said:

Homework Equations

I want to know what is the radius that I use and if I have to change 98 min for seconds?
If I have the speed I can calculate the aceleration.

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is I'm assuming that the radius is 640km and I divide that with 98.0 min but that is not the right answer.
You need the radius of the satellite's circular orbit. 640 km is just the distance above the earth--be sure to include the radius of the earth. Convert distance to meters and time to seconds. Realize that the satellite travels a complete circumference in every period.

DramatikaRocks said:
the other exercise is :

1.) A boy whorles a stone in an horizontal circle of radius 1.5m and at a height of 2.0m above level ground. The string breaks,the stone flies off horizontally and strikes the ground after traveling a horizontal distance of 10m. What is the magnitude off the
centripetal aceleration of the stone while in circular motion?

2.) The question is that I need the speed and I have no Idea how to get it. And I don't know how to solve this really.
You'll need to use your knowledge of projectile motion. How long does it take for the stone to fall? Use that to figure out what its speed must have been.

Related to Uniform Circular Motion of a satellite

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion refers to the movement of an object in a circular path at a constant speed. The direction of motion is constantly changing, but the speed remains the same.

2. How does a satellite move in uniform circular motion?

A satellite moves in uniform circular motion due to the balance between the inward centripetal force and the outward centrifugal force. The centripetal force, provided by gravity, keeps the satellite in its circular path, while the centrifugal force, caused by the satellite's velocity, tries to pull it away from the center.

3. Why does a satellite not fly off into space during uniform circular motion?

A satellite does not fly off into space because of the balance between the centripetal and centrifugal forces. The centripetal force keeps the satellite in orbit, while the centrifugal force counteracts it, creating a stable circular motion.

4. What factors affect the uniform circular motion of a satellite?

The uniform circular motion of a satellite is affected by its mass, the mass of the object it is orbiting, and the distance between them. The greater the mass of the satellite or the object it is orbiting, the stronger the gravitational force and the faster the satellite will have to move to maintain its circular path. The larger the distance between the satellite and the object it is orbiting, the slower the satellite will have to move to maintain its orbit.

5. How is the speed of a satellite in uniform circular motion calculated?

The speed of a satellite in uniform circular motion can be calculated using the formula v = √(G*M/r), where v is the velocity of the satellite, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the object the satellite is orbiting, and r is the distance between them. This calculation assumes that the satellite is in a circular orbit and that the centripetal force is equal to the gravitational force.